• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1st Time Wakesurfing

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, for the better part of 2 months I have been letting the kids have all the fun while having the Liquid Force Fish get little use. The kids tried it over the Labor Day weekend but had difficulty. So did a buddy of mine. And I never got the chance to try it that weekend or since.

Well, not this weekend. I put my foot down and told the kids they had to stay on the boat :happy: :(

So I was finally able to wakesurf yesterday. Boy, was I stoked. It was fun indeed, but definitely awkward starting out. Took a few tries just for my buddy to get control of the throttles. The current was really strong so I had to start out on the starboard side. By the time I got up I was directly behind the boat and had to ride the nasty water over to the port side. (This may have been avoidable, but we are beginners) Once in the pocket, it was so much easier and could have surfed all day. Until I started moving my feet around and lost my balance. The 2nd time up was even better. Started to make some cuts off the wake. Nothing big but its a start.

Thanks to everyone for providing instructions and tips on this forum.

I have a video my wife took I will try to post later. It is on her phone. But here is a pic I was able to download.

I felt like a kid in a candy store:D

IMG_707870683343156.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The epidemic continues to spread.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is going to get expensive!! :D

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is going to get expensive!! :D
Well, I still have not gotten the girls up (that will have to wait until next year most likely). If they can surf ropeless on the current wave, then I may be ok for a bit. I wasn't looking spend a lot but I think most of us say that :rolleyes:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good job. It is a great feeling when you get up. I found that once I got up 1 time then afterwards it was easy to get up. When I start beginners I make sure the board is 90 deg to the boat and then turn the boat in towards them as you pull them up. This keeps them out of the rough water at the center. They usually get up in 2 or 3' of boat travel. We have a tower which does make it easier since the pull is upwards and helps stand them up on the board. Hope this helps. Gotta get them kids up - that is more fun that doing it yourself. Cam.

Last edited:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good jog. It is a great feeling when you get up. I found that once I got up 1 time then afterwards it was easy to get up. When I start beginners I make sure the board is 90 deg to the boat and then turn the boat in towards them as you pull them up. This keeps them out of the rough water at the center. They usually get up in 2 or 3' of boat travel. We have a tower which does make it easier since the pull is upwards and helps stand them up on the board. Hope this helps. Gotta get them kids up - that is more fun that doing it yourself. Cam.
Thanks! Once I got up the 1st time I was able to get up the 2nd time right away. Then I had to turn it over to others to try :( We tried it out on the Port side but the current kept pulling me away from the boat so that's why I tried to start off the starboard side thinking by the time I got up I would just drift over to the port side. Once we got going I got up right in the middle of the jet wash and then was able to move over. But yes, I can pretty much see how much cleaner it would be starting in the clean water as the jet wash is really rough to surf on. Once I dropped into the wake it was very clean and much easier. I will chalk it up to a combination of really our 1st time and the water conditions.

I like your idea of turning the boat in so they stay in the clean water. I will remember that for next time. Thanks

Tower definitely helps. We tried it both ways and it definitely makes a difference...at least for us and that 1 time out.

I was bummed about the kids. I was hoping to get them up that day but 1 was too cold and the other just couldn't do it. She is my youngest so I think between technique, her size and the size of the board may have been the issue. She will be bigger and stronger next year. We are looking forward to it as I just got their new wakeboard as a Christmas gift, so between tubing, surfing and wakeboarding we plan to have an awesome time in 2015.

Question...what vests are everyone using to wakesurf? I was using one of the basic vinyl ones from Dicks Sporting Goods and I had a hard time keeping my head out of the water while just sitting there waiting to go. I have a Stearns neoprene vest that I chose not to use that day. Not sure if that would have made difference. But is there anything more buoyant? Hmm...perhaps I need to do a search or start a new thread.

Anyway...thanks everyone!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use low end neoprene ones from Costco. They work great. Cam.