• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Built in air pump

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wanted a way to blow up the tube without going deaf.
My solution was to leave the pump under the seat and only have a switch and an air outlet on the swim platform.

I bought a boston valve and waterproof led lighted rocker switch.
In the plumbing section of a hardware store I found an adapter from threaded pipe to PVC pipe. It wasn't a perfect match to the boston valve but close enough. I wrapped the threads with thread sealing tape.

A vibratory tool with plunge cut saw allowed me to cut the rectangular hole for the switch.
A hole saw worked for the boston valve penetration. I used white silicone sealant (not adhesive) around the edges of the holes inside and out.

A bilge hose connects the pump to the adapter. Again, it was not a perfect fit. A bead of silicone on the inside of the adapter and the outside of the hose sealed things nicely. The pump has 2 knobs to lock the hose in place. I carefully cut slots in the end of the hose to match the knobs. I used the clamp that came with the hose to secure it to the pump.

A fused terminal block and ground bar made the connections for the wiring.

An automotive relay keeps the high amps from going all the way to the swim platform.

This is my wiring diagram.

I had a hand pump with a long hose and selection of adapters. I used that hose and took the adapters from my powered pump to get the boston style adapter at each end of the hose. This isn't the best option. If you pull too hard it comes loose. I may end up getting rid of the boston valve and using one of the other hose end adapters through the hull.

We are very pleased with the results. My wife accidentally bumped the switch while cleaning the swim platform. It took us a while to figure out where the noise was coming from. It sounded like a hair dryer on a boat next to us.

Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MNdrifter added to the FAQ, it was already there with the previous post with just the finished picture, I replaced it with this post,
thanks for documenting it!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MNdrifter added to the FAQ, it was already there with the previous post with just the finished picture, I replaced it with this post,
thanks for documenting it!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did a similar mod. However I burned up the blower because, unknown to me, something blocked the intake. Please make sure you protect the intake from being blocked.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use my handheld air pump that plugs into the lighter socket to inflate and deflate my toys so I would need to add a hole in the boat.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have added a built in blower to every boat I have owned. Very handy. I use a external switch and a ribbed hose which is coiled under the battery comp seat. I like that you put yours out back. Cam.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Project Update:

I bought an inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard.
My pump install won't put out the psi needed for the SUP.
I started over from scratch.

This time I used a 2 stage SUP inflator and water hose fittings to the swim deck.

This pump has an on button, an off button and a dial to select the pressure you want to shut off.

Instead of running the power through a relay, I extended the on and off buttons to the swim platform.
I like this installation better than the one I detailed above.

Connections at the pump:
I removed the screws from the bottom of the pump. The top and bottom housings came apart nicely.
I cut the wires to the on button(red & green) and the off button(blue and white).
I used thermostat wire with 5 conductors for the extension(yellow conductor was not used). I soldered and heat shrank the connections.
I drilled a 1/4" hole in the back of the housing in a way that left a 1/2 circle on each half.
I made several wraps of electrical tape as a bushing for the wire where it goes through the housing.

Make a disconnect:
I bought a 12" 4pin trailer wire extension.
I cut the wires at the mid point. I soldered and heat shrank the thermostat wires from the pump on one side and more tstat wire going to the swim platform on the other side.

Platform switch:
I used a switch that had (mom on)-off-(mom on).
I connected the wires from the on button to the top momentary on and the off button to the bottom momentary on.

Plumbing:
The SUP came with a hand pump. It included a hose that also worked for the inflator.
I cut the tubing away from the connector on the end of the hose.
I inserted the connector into a length of garden hose and secured it with a hose clamp.
I used a hose fitting (male hose on one end, plumbing male threads on the other end) threaded into a 90deg plumbing fitting in the engine bay.
I put a barbed male plumbing fitting on the other end of the hose.

I leave the pressure set at 15psi (recommended for my SUP)
Bump the switch up and the pump starts.
Bump the switch down and the pump stops.
Leave it on and the pump shuts off when it gets to 15psi.
You can hear the pump switch from the blower to the piston pump.
When inflating a tube, I just stop the pump when I hear the second stage kick on.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian