• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coastal Night Lights LED install

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the 2014 Bimini trip I decided to install some underwater LED's. I seriously thought about purchasing and installing the Abyss LED's that were being offered on the board but I wanted a larger LED in the center and I was to cheap to pay for the large Abyss. After doing plenty of research I ended up choosing Coastal Night Light LED, http://www.coastalnightlights.com/. My decision was based on price, quality and the fact that my boat does not sit in the water plus most of my boating will be done in fresh water so I did not need a stainless case with super hard glass, plastic would do just fine.

In the process of wiring for the new LED's I also installed a battery switch, fuse block, relay for the LED's, a positive bus bar, and 2 negative bus bars (one for the battery, engines, factory accessory grounds, and 2 second ground bus, the second ground bus is for all additional ground needs). During wiring I removed the factor accessory fuse holder and wired it to the new fuse block. The attached Word document has my wiring schematic. The positive bus is a dual bus from Blue Sea, http://www.bluesea.com/products/2722/DualBus_Plus_150A_BusBar_-_1_4in-20_Stud_5_Gang. Normally this is used for have one side as a positive bus and the other as a ground bus. In my case I used one side as a unswitched (direct from the battery) positive bus and the other as a switched (after the newly installed battery switch) positive bus. The blade fuse block holds 8 fuses, I only needed 6, and ordered it off eBay. I used a relay to activated the LED's so that the actual power would be a short run, from new fuse block to stern. This way I did not have to run power from the new fuse block to the helm and back to the stern. Since to energize the relay doesn't take much current I tapped the courtesy light circuit behind the dash to provide the relay firing power and installed a switch on the dash (sorry no pictures of the dash switch yet).

I decided to go with 2 model DL's on the outside of each jet and 1 DS in between the jets, http://coastalnightlights.com/Gen3-UW-Lights.html. Even though these lights are rectangular, the light pattern is focused into spot light. Prior to installing I was concerned that if I mounted the DL's directly to the sloping hull that the light would be focused downward and limit the effectiveness. I contacted Chris at Coastal about this issue and he said that direct mount to the hull would be okay. Got to give a good feedback about Chris at Coastal, I contacted him a couple of time and he was always prompt, curtious and helpful with his response, much like dealing with Will at JetboatPilot. There was another company I was thinking about purchasing from, I think @Bruce actually used them, but after reading a bunch of negative reviews on other forums about his attitude I decided against his products. Even though Chris at Coastal told me I necessarily did not need to shim my DL LED, I decided to do it anyways, I can be hard headed and over engineering at times. The shims are PVC board (used for house trim) cut at 15 degree angle. Each light has 2 15 degree shims for a total of 30 degree of shimming. The PVC was easy to cut on the table saw. I glued the 2 shims together and mounted the them to the hull with 2 stainless steel screws and used 4200 caulk around all the edges. The LED's are mounted directly to the PVC shims and again all the edges are caulked with 4200. The only thru hull hole is a 1/4" for the LED wire. After a week in saltwater and probably 200 miles of boating to, from, and around Bimini, the installation held up perfectly.

I have got to say I am thorouhgly impressed with the performance of these LED's. In our marina at Bimini there were many big boats with LED's on and my install would definitely compete for brightness.

@woodard1983

Picture of wiring
LED - wiring.jpg

Pictures of the LED's mounted
LED - installed 1.jpg

LED - installed 2.jpg

LED - installed 3.jpg

Now the money shots of the lights in action at the marina in Bimini. Unfortunately I don't have any shots of them on with the boat moving. I also don't at this time have any shots of them on in the lake. The interior blue LED's and the ones under the swim platform seat backs where done a couple of years ago.

LED - water 1.jpg

LED - water 2.jpg

LED - water 3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great writeup! Thanks a bunch for sharing. These really do look great! I have envy....

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I couldn't resist posting this, it gave me a good laugh. I emailed Chris at Coast Night Lights the same pictures I posted above and knew he was going to be in Bimini for some of the same days as us.

Here is his reply:
Hey Andy,
Wow great pictures at the Sands. And the water in there is never really super clear. I saw the boat there, I was walking the dock on the night of the 27th. My buddy commented on how bright the lights were and asked if mine would be that bright. Of course my answer was yes even though I didn't realize we were looking at my lights.
We had great weather the entire time as well. Though coming back on Monday was a little rough.
Thanks
Chris​

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is funny right there!

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd love lights, these look awesome, but I really hate the idea of drilling into the hull. Has anyone tried the through the drain plug lights? There are several variations out there. Just wondering.
Robert

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd love lights, these look awesome, but I really hate the idea of drilling into the hull. Has anyone tried the through the drain plug lights? There are several variations out there. Just wondering.
Robert
I looked into drain plug LED's but I did not think they would put off enough light. The lights I put on are 760 lumens each for a total 2280 lumens.

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are the housing plastic? I'm spend a lot of time in the salt water (but trailered). wonder how well they would hold up.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are the housing plastic? I'm spend a lot of time in the salt water (but trailered). wonder how well they would hold up.
Yes, everything is plastic, the housing and the lens. Based on threads I read from other forums, the lights hold up very well, even when constantly submerged. The one thing I learned that is if you will be in the water for extended time is to cover the lens with vaseline to prevent marine growth.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
KILLER lights, Andy !!!!!!!!!!!!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
! nice write-up and install @andy07sx230ho what wire gauge did you use, the wiring diagram looks like a separate run of 12 watts each, or were they daisy chained for 36 watts.

Do you run these while underway or just dock side? 12 watts isn't huge for heat but it is a sealed package and plastic....do they require "liquid cooling" ?

I'd be interested in the single center light install,......then again, I'm sure that would morph into the side markers as well.......How do they show up in SC water quality?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
! nice write-up and install @andy07sx230ho what wire gauge did you use, the wiring diagram looks like a separate run of 12 watts each, or were they daisy chained for 36 watts.

Do you run these while underway or just dock side? 12 watts isn't huge for heat but it is a sealed package and plastic....do they require "liquid cooling" ?

I'd be interested in the single center light install,......then again, I'm sure that would morph into the side markers as well.......How do they show up in SC water quality?
I ran 14 AWG from the relay through the fuse block and to each LED, the daisy chain is on the input to the fuse block then single 14 AWG to each LED. The top three fuses on the block are 1 for each underwater lights.

I need to do some more investigation to see if while under way above no wake speed the outside LEDs are under water or above water. I do know that while at no wake speed they are under water. Talking to Chris at Coastal he said you could run the LEDs for a few minutes with the completely out of the water. My guess is that the outside LED's are partially out of the water with the exposed part receiving plenty of water spray, so there should be enough cooling to prevent the LED's from over heating but more testing is need to verify this.

While in Bimini for the 2015 trip I was planning on doing some testing of the LEDs but unfortunately the cheap dash switch I used failed after a couple of uses. I have new more robust switches I plan on installing but haven't yet installed them.

So far the LEDs still look brand new. This is after spending two continues weeks, 1 week in 2014 and 1 in 2015, full submerged in the salt waters of Fort Lauderdale and Bimini. Other than the 2 continuous weeks in salt water, the LEDs have been exposed to lake water typically only a couple hours at a time.

These lights have performed exceptionally well over the 2 years that I have had them on my boat. To me the only down side to the Coastal LED's is their overall size, especially the outer (long) LEDs, but depending on your application size might not matter.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho I wasn't going to do something like this to the boat but the more I look at it I think I may. Did you have to drill holes for all three under water lights if so was it a pain? The interior is something I can handle the underwater lights make me nervous to tackle.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho I wasn't going to do something like this to the boat but the more I look at it I think I may. Did you have to drill holes for all three under water lights if so was it a pain? The interior is something I can handle the underwater lights make me nervous to tackle.
Behind each light is no bigger than a 1/4" hole for the light wire to go through. With enough caulk in the hole and then around the light the water stays out. It was easy to do, the toughest was working around the exhaust water boxes to route the wires.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Behind each light is no bigger than a 1/4" hole for the light wire to go through. With enough caulk in the hole and then around the light the water stays out. It was easy to do, the toughest was working around the exhaust water boxes to route the wires.
I may have to try and entice you with a case of beer to come help with that part the net time I have the boat at the lake house :)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would love to have the know how to install the electrical blocks like you have in the picture!!
It's not that tough to do. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to answer them. It isn't that hard, you just have to decide where the power for each fuse is coming from. Here is a little more explanation of my electrical setup.

The busbar to the right of the battery switch is setup so the right side of the busbar is always powered up (battery connects to the top) and the left side is feed after the switch (output of the switch connects to the top of this side). The only thing fed from the unswitched side is a secondary bilge pump that is float switch controlled, the new fuse block is powered from the switched side so it can be isolated with the battery switch.

Fuse Block feeds:
Top 3 (purple) fuses are for the underwater leds and supplied with common power coming from the relay (the little black box up and to the left of fuse block)
Brown fuse is for the Garmin GPS unit on the dash
Red fuse is for additional power sockets that I added, never enough spots to plug in chargers
Yellow is the factory accessory fuse that was previous to the bulkhead in its own fuse holder

bgruhn76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow, those are awesome! I'm not sure I would be in the water in the dark enough to justify these, but man...tempting.

Aspevero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For the 2014 Bimini trip I decided to install some underwater LED's. I seriously thought about purchasing and installing the Abyss LED's that were being offered on the board but I wanted a larger LED in the center and I was to cheap to pay for the large Abyss. After doing plenty of research I ended up choosing Coastal Night Light LED, http://www.coastalnightlights.com/. My decision was based on price, quality and the fact that my boat does not sit in the water plus most of my boating will be done in fresh water so I did not need a stainless case with super hard glass, plastic would do just fine.

In the process of wiring for the new LED's I also installed a battery switch, fuse block, relay for the LED's, a positive bus bar, and 2 negative bus bars (one for the battery, engines, factory accessory grounds, and 2 second ground bus, the second ground bus is for all additional ground needs). During wiring I removed the factor accessory fuse holder and wired it to the new fuse block. The attached Word document has my wiring schematic. The positive bus is a dual bus from Blue Sea, http://www.bluesea.com/products/2722/DualBus_Plus_150A_BusBar_-_1_4in-20_Stud_5_Gang. Normally this is used for have one side as a positive bus and the other as a ground bus. In my case I used one side as a unswitched (direct from the battery) positive bus and the other as a switched (after the newly installed battery switch) positive bus. The blade fuse block holds 8 fuses, I only needed 6, and ordered it off eBay. I used a relay to activated the LED's so that the actual power would be a short run, from new fuse block to stern. This way I did not have to run power from the new fuse block to the helm and back to the stern. Since to energize the relay doesn't take much current I tapped the courtesy light circuit behind the dash to provide the relay firing power and installed a switch on the dash (sorry no pictures of the dash switch yet).

I decided to go with 2 model DL's on the outside of each jet and 1 DS in between the jets, http://coastalnightlights.com/Gen3-UW-Lights.html. Even though these lights are rectangular, the light pattern is focused into spot light. Prior to installing I was concerned that if I mounted the DL's directly to the sloping hull that the light would be focused downward and limit the effectiveness. I contacted Chris at Coastal about this issue and he said that direct mount to the hull would be okay. Got to give a good feedback about Chris at Coastal, I contacted him a couple of time and he was always prompt, curtious and helpful with his response, much like dealing with Will at JetboatPilot. There was another company I was thinking about purchasing from, I think @Bruce actually used them, but after reading a bunch of negative reviews on other forums about his attitude I decided against his products. Even though Chris at Coastal told me I necessarily did not need to shim my DL LED, I decided to do it anyways, I can be hard headed and over engineering at times. The shims are PVC board (used for house trim) cut at 15 degree angle. Each light has 2 15 degree shims for a total of 30 degree of shimming. The PVC was easy to cut on the table saw. I glued the 2 shims together and mounted the them to the hull with 2 stainless steel screws and used 4200 caulk around all the edges. The LED's are mounted directly to the PVC shims and again all the edges are caulked with 4200. The only thru hull hole is a 1/4" for the LED wire. After a week in saltwater and probably 200 miles of boating to, from, and around Bimini, the installation held up perfectly.

I have got to say I am thorouhgly impressed with the performance of these LED's. In our marina at Bimini there were many big boats with LED's on and my install would definitely compete for brightness.

@woodard1983

Picture of wiring
View attachment 8093

Pictures of the LED's mounted
View attachment 8094

View attachment 8095

View attachment 8096

Now the money shots of the lights in action at the marina in Bimini. Unfortunately I don't have any shots of them on with the boat moving. I also don't at this time have any shots of them on in the lake. The interior blue LED's and the ones under the swim platform seat backs where done a couple of years ago.

View attachment 8097

View attachment 8098

View attachment 8099[/QUOTE wow