• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

engine issue

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While starting up in the slip Sunday I heard what sounded like a fork in a garbage disposal. I immediately shut down the engine. When I checked the clean out port I felt a small acorn sized piece of wood. When we restarted the engine it only shows 6800 rpm while the other engine shows 7400 rpm. We also noticed just a small amount of water coming from the pee hole compared to the other engine. What should I be looking for when I get a chance this weekend. It is on the trailer in the driveway. Thanks for any help.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First thing you want to do is look to see if there is any more wood stuck to the leading edge of the impeller. You may have to pull the pump to do this. This sounds like a really hard thing to do, but it is EASY! See the links in the FAQ.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thing you want to do is look to see if there is any more wood stuck to the leading edge of the impeller. You may have to pull the pump to do this. This sounds like a really hard thing to do, but it is EASY! See the links in the FAQ.
x2 but you may be able to avoid pulling pump. You need to get a flashlight and look from under the boat to get a good view.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How chopped up was the acorn when you pulled it out? The belief (which I share above) is that a piece of the acorn is stuck between the edge of your impeller and the housing. You can see the impeller from the intake grate (underneath) or you can move your throttle to the forward position (engine off) and that will move the bucket up to where you can see from the back side of the jet pump. You should be able to see most of the impeller then and determine if a piece is still stuck. If a piece is still stuck in there and you can't remove it, then you will have to do as Julian said and pull your pump. I've never done it but it's apparently ridiculously easy. There is a video on YouTube on how to do it as well. Will be glad to find that video for you if it that is what you end up having to do.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with the above but I don't understand why the water coming from pee hole would be so much less when running at 6800 RPM.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with the above but I don't understand why the water coming from pee hole would be so much less when running at 6800 RPM.
If there is something in the pump causing friction, it will also cause cavitation, which in turn will result in less pressure at the intake, and possibly air mixed with water at the intake....and less water at the pee holes.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That makes sense thanks! I never even looked at the pee holes the few times I had cavitation challenges.

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg Well there's my problem. I guess I'm pulling it out tomorrow instead of being on the river. This is why I love this forum. Quick and correct answers. You guys are great. Thanks again.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Blue-non permanent

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet, nice work. Should be an easy fix.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome! Glad you got it.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is always hard to believe such a little thing can cause so much frustration!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I knew I shouldn't have thrown that stick back in the river after I dislodged it from my jet pump!

Sorry about that......I had no idea it would float all that way... :confused:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
(Sarcastically enthusiastic) I can't wait till my first experience with that!! I am all excited!! :bored:

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@bronze_10, Ill be honest I hope I never have to! haha. Doesnt look bad tho.