• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fender storage in helm compartment

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In addition to adding mooring line holders in the helm compartment, https://jetboaters.net/threads/dock-line-holder.2463/ see 8th post, I added fender storage and a light in my helm compartment.

The light is tapped of the courtesy light circuit. I purchased an 8 led white only light from west marine, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--surface-mount-led-dome-lights--P009_276_005_518 and screwed it to the ridge in the roof the helm compartment.

20140704_095303[1].jpg

The fender holder is made of a piece of flat aluminum about 2" tall and 29" long. The hooks are chromed coat hooks from Lowe's and are space about 8" inches apart, my fenders are 7" diameter. There is a 1" long piece of 1.5" PVC pipe as a spacer between the aluminum bar and forward helm wall. The mounting hardware is 1/4" x 20 bolts 2" long with nylock nuts. On the end of the fender without a line attached I put a small strip of velcro and created a hanging loop, this is what attaches to the coat hook, and stays on the fender when using to protect the boat.

I first used this on fender holder was on the trip to Bimini and I found out that the fenders don't always stay on the holders when the boat hits a wave. The problem is that both sides of the PVC spacers are currently cut at 90 degree which due to the angle of the forward helm wall causes the aluminum bar to angle downwards. The fix is to cut new spacers with one side of the spacer cut at an angle to result in the aluminum bar being vertical.

I do have to admit, the outside fender is tough to store or retrieve the fender. I am 5' 11'' and it is a stretch for me. Luckily it is rare I need all 4 fenders at once.

20140704_095253[1].jpg

20140704_095458[1].jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice work Andy. I have been meaning to organize that compartment. Ours is normally stuffed with life jackets. We stacked a shopping cart of gatorade in there for Bimini.