• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS/Chartplotter

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just picked up a Garmin 640 off of craigslist today. What are other people using?

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use a Lowrance HDS5, with lake insight and coastal maps. I mounted it with RAM Mounts. I love it!

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Garmin 640 - but it does not show well in full sunlight - I would not go with this unit again. IMG_20121027_153636.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a common complaint on the Garmin unit. I purchased one a year ago and returned it the next day. There is someone who makes a "hood" for these units that helps cut out the sun wash effect.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lowrance Elite 5 DSI with Ram mount

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Humminbird 597 HD/DI - reads well in the sun and dims down very nicely for night boating. Night boating is so nice with a good plotter.
WP_20130807_001.jpg

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Murf - the sun problem is really not a problem with most MARINE Garmin units - problem with the 640 is that it is primarily a unit designed for use in autos. My Garmin Chart Plotter 3020 in my Cruiser Yacht works just fine - of course it cost x4 times what the 640 cost and that was in 2005!

I've also had other Garmins that worked fine in the sun - the 440 unit (circa 2009) was sweet - I liked it better than the 640 even though the screen was a bit smaller.
Aux 2009 098.jpg

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On my fishing boat I have the Lowrance HDS10 with structure scan. I do a lot of crabing and the structure scan is like taking a picture of the bottom. The GPS is really accurate, you can really zoom in. It has good maps. It also ties in with my radio and can give the location of commercial ships and with NMEA 2000 it should be able to tie in to the engines. It also has the only accurate fuel meter I have ever seen. It actually measures the fuel flow rather than a float in the tank.
I was planning on putting a system in my Yamaha so I could just put the head unit in whatever boat I was using but I think it is just to big to mount in the Yamaha.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just bought the elite 4 havent tried it in the water yet.

20140303_183534.jpg

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Garmin 640 - but it does not show well in full sunlight - I would not go with this unit again. View attachment 2664
X1
I can't see a thing in the sun. Looking for a sunshade and/or some anti-reflective film to see if that will help. I just keep it on-board in case I need it for an emergency. Not too crazy about the on-land features either--often get the wrong directions and turns.

Otherwise, it's a great unit :)

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the Garmin 640 also. I agree about the sun issue, but for me it's just a matter of bending down for a second to get a better view. Overall, I like it and is simple to use and fits just above the dashtn_IMG_1325.JPG

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Hummingbird 788ci, works awesome in all light, GPS works great.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you guys having to drill holes in your boat to mount the transducers? Was it tought to figure out where to get switched power? Anyone with a 242 have input on how you ran the wires?
Sorry...have not looked at the boat in a while...so it's hard to visualize.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran a dedicated line from the battery (with a fuse near the batteries) up the port side, through the "head" compartment and then under the lip of the ski locker into the helm compartment - it was really easier than it sounds - but I did have to take most of the head compartment apart. Taking the head compartment apart led to some unexpected good results - I was able to track down a leak from the port side upholstery (sealed with silicone) and discover that the screws holding the aft wall covering were not screwed securely and fix that. I ran the antenna for the fixed mounted VHF at the same time.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I secured my transcuder to the inside rear of the boat with epoxy, near the rear plug. It reads perfect through the bottom of the boat, no holes drilled. It was very easy running the wire to the dash. I routed it though the existing holes into the engine compartment and then into the fuel compartment. And then there was also easy access to get from the fuel compartment to under the helm and I tapped the power line in the a hot wire under the dash. Very easy and no holes drilled any where.