• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hoping the fresh water shower didn't sustain damage this winter

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As I sit her and contemplate spring and my boat, I am wondering if draining the shower via the hose was enough. We experienced the coldest winter in many, many years. I was thinking I should have removed the whole hose connected at the tank......well, too late now. :-(

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if water would have been left between the pump and the sprayer. Hopefully not very much.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The official way to winterize it is to remove all of the water by running the pump dry. The thing is that is not enough as I found out. I had ice crack one of the plastic 90s so now I fill the hose with antifreeze after pumping out the tank. I take the head off the shower hose and turn the pump on and just let it run dry. Once dry I hold the hose up as high as I can and slowly pour antifreeze into it until it is full then put the handle back on. Come spring I hook the hose up to the tank and let it fill then run the pump with the shower head clicked open to flush out the antifreeze.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn, that's what I'm expecting to find this spring. I hope it's not too expensive to repair if needed.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your local hardware store should have the fittings for less than $1 or you can go to west marine and pay $5 ea. :)

The worst part is laying in the coffin, reaching to change the fitting out. I'm not going to lie, it sucks and you will be sore for a few days.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ha, ya I've been in the coffin before running wires. Not much fun but hey, it's a boat and it gives me pleasure!! Thanks for your input.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Crap. I'm thinking I filled that tank shortly before our last outing of the season. I don't remember draining it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The official way to winterize it is to remove all of the water by running the pump dry. The thing is that is not enough as I found out. I had ice crack one of the plastic 90s so now I fill the hose with antifreeze after pumping out the tank. I take the head off the shower hose and turn the pump on and just let it run dry. Once dry I hold the hose up as high as I can and slowly pour antifreeze into it until it is full then put the handle back on. Come spring I hook the hose up to the tank and let it fill then run the pump with the shower head clicked open to flush out the antifreeze.
Won't running the pump dry fowl the impeller like a ballast pump?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I pumped antifreeze into the tank and and let the sprayer pump it through the system. I dont think the pump will run unless it has liquid in it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is a good safety feature. I know I have to watch my ballast pump close as to make sure it doesn't pump air for too long or I could burn up the impeller easily.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Won't running the pump dry fowl the impeller like a ballast pump?
No, the shower pumps are made to run dry although they make a terrible noise that makes you never want to do it. They are way lower volume than a ballast pump.