• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing Fulton F2 Winch on MFI trailer.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I received a Fulton F2 Winch for Fathers Day to replace the factory Fulton winch on my MFI trailer. I replaced the strap on my factory winch last year but it has not locked correctly this year.

It is available for $77 shipped from http://www.zoro.com/i/G5113333/?category=5565 . My wife actually got it for $62 with a $15 off code found online. It is model # FW16000101.

This is a basic F2 without the multiple gears. It seems to be well made and well functioning winch. It is made from stainless and aluminum. I hope it will suffer less from rust than the factory winch.

My 7 year old daughter assembled the handle to the winch and my four year old helped attach it to the trailer. Both of them played tug a war while I winched in the strap. The total assembly time was less than 10 minutes and it could have been less than 5 if I was in a hurry. The bolts to attach it to the trailer are in an adjustable track allowing them to fit the factory hole pattern.

Here is a picture of it installed. The body is aluminum and the spool appears to be stainless. The locking handle and its mechanism are substantial and easy to use.

Fulton_F2_Winch_Yamaha_MFI_Trailer.jpg

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up, Bruce. I have wanted a new winch, but I haven't ever done this. The only problem I have with the stock winch is that, sometimes, it is difficult to get the lock to engage to winch the boat back onto the trailer. Sometimes, you have to wiggle it around a few times to get that lock to engage.

Again, great write up and the install looks great!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, the lock engagement issue is exactly why mine was replaced.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce great write up and thanks for pointing out what I need to do soon. I just replaced my strap this spring and now all of a sudden the "switch " on it is acting up. Should have waited a while longer for the whole thing to fail and do it at once... :)

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to ask you.....where is the disco ball in the garage??? :D

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to ask you.....where is the disco ball in the garage??? :D
Last year my daughter wanted to have a dance birthday party. I swapped the can lights for black lights and led disco balls. One set is still installed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This one has my truck and the LX210 in it

image.jpg
image.jpg

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice write up. I have the step up which is the Fulton F2 two speed. I haven't used the low gear much and probably would have been just fine with the model you have. I really like mine a lot. bowstopstep.jpg

The only thing I'm concerned about is some metal shavings I found inside mine when I popped the two screws off the plastic grate on the top. 13764248878141.jpg 13763689464751.jpg Posted that story on the other site and there really wasn't a conclusion. I'll take a look at it again at some point this year.

Also if you put the winch so the strap comes off the top of the housing wheel, then it can damage your roller as it did mine as seen in this picture.13763689103490.jpg

Attachments

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed an F2 two speed last weekend. I have used it 2 times so far and LOVE it! I got really tired of the stock winch not locking down. I was afraid it was going to fail on me going down the road. The F2 is actually overkill for what is needed, but it sure makes winching the boat onto the trailer super easy.

My only tip is that you will need a 15mm deep socket wrench to get to the bolts on the bottom. It took me a little while to figure out the size, so hopefully that will save someone some time.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whoops! Added my comment to yours...

Here is mine :banghead:

That has to make it difficult to detail the boat...lol

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year my daughter wanted to have a dance birthday party. I swapped the can lights for black lights and led disco balls. One set is still installed.

View attachment 7300

View attachment 7301

This one has my truck and the LX210 in it

View attachment 7302
View attachment 7304
HaHaHa, busted @Bruce. Are you still wearing those big collared shirts and bell bottoms?:winkingthumbsup" I installed the Fulton F2 two speed last year. It was a direct bolt on and made a big difference as I winch on & off with the UBB's. No more entertaining the folks at the ramp as I front flip over the bow to attach the winch while power loading.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice lights Bruce! Love it....the winches everyone has installed look great too! My time is coming for one......

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the same fulton you do Bruce. Easy install, well worth the money for safety of covering the teeth. That is a great price too!

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I changed out to the F2 wench and a Seasense polymer roller last year on my MFI trailer...both are excellent products!

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice winch...and groovy lights in the garage! :winkingthumbsup"

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. I have the step up which is the Fulton F2 two speed. I haven't used the low gear much and probably would have been just fine with the model you have. I really like mine a lot. View attachment 7308

The only thing I'm concerned about is some metal shavings I found inside mine when I popped the two screws off the plastic grate on the top. View attachment 7279 View attachment 7280 Posted that story on the other site and there really wasn't a conclusion. I'll take a look at it again at some point this year.

Also if you put the winch so the strap comes off the top of the housing wheel, then it can damage your roller as it did mine as seen in this picture.View attachment 7281

Derek,

Any update on the metal shavings?

We are having a good season here...

You?

Eric

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Derek,

Any update on the metal shavings?

We are having a good season here...

You?

Eric
It has been an awesome season so far in SE MN. My winch is performing great. I don't think I have used the slow speed setting once. I will pop off the cap tonight and take a picture.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which model is good for the AR230HO? The boat weighs about 3500# but the winch is for 1600#.

E

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are some pictures of the inside of my winch. I still see metal shavings but the gears look good. I added a bunch of lithium grease to every contact point so hopefully it will give me many years of good service. This is the two speed version and I always use the slow crank mode.
20150806_203754.jpg 20150806_203739.jpg