• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for Yamaha boat mechanic in WNY Buffalo

Stefanoar210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just moved back to the North Tonawanda/ Pendleton area this past fall. I wanted to see if anyone is from the WNY (Buffalo) area on here to see what are some garages I could use or mechanics for this upcoming boating season. I like to have some on hand just in case of any emergencies that may arise. I live right near Bob Weavers but they won’t do any boat maintenance.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use Olson Brothers Marine in Derby. That's where I purchased my boat from, and have had them do all the work.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Olson Brothers Marine in Derby. That's where I purchased my boat from, and have had them do all the work.
Met these guys at the Hamburg Boat show last week. Seem like a pretty decent bunch of people. As I'm in the middle of a relocate to Buffalo from Louisville they were super helpful in handing out information on how the boats do in various local lakes, and out on the big lake.

Had a super pretty FSH252 at the show, as well as a brand new 255XD. Nobody else around, so I was able to crawl all over the 255. Super nice boat, but likely out of my budget currently.

Anywho, I've been meaning to stop by there since the show and haven't made it yet. Working in Silver Creek and living in Orchard Park, it's not far "out of the way". Certainly a lot closer than my previous dealer that was almost an hour away.

*edit*.....Good chance I'll be looking for boat storage here real soon as well. Know any good places for indoor storage near the stadium?

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
*edit*.....Good chance I'll be looking for boat storage here real soon as well. Know any good places for indoor storage near the stadium?
I thought about going to the boat show last weekend, but in the end decided not to day dream about spending more money and possibly moving on from boating in general. I honestly store my boat with Olson Marine as well. I have them winterize and store the boat. Usually drop off mid-end of October, and pick up end of April. I pay $850 for winterization and storage. $200 for winterization and then the $650 for storage. I'm not sure what is around the stadium for storage, I'm sure there is something just not sure if it's indoor or outdoor.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd look for a independent PWC shop and start a conversation with them.

you drivetrain is the same as a ski just in a bigger box,

mpecoraro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm in the Buffalo Northtowns. I bought my 195S from McMillan Marine in Rochester in August 2020. I chose McMillan because I was able to grab the last boat on their wait list. Olson Brothers would have been closer, but they weren't sure when they would see 2021s. (Remember those crazy COVID days?! A tough time to become a first time boat owner.)

The McMillan Marine ownership, sales, and service experience has been good. I had them perform the winterization at the end of the 2020 season because I had service credit and a coupon from Yamaha. All went well. They were always happy to answer any questions I had. I've performed all my maintenance since, and have been fortunate that I have not needed any warranty work (knock on wood!), so I don't have an extensive history with their service. However, other than the longer drive, I would have no reservations using them again. I *think* McMillan Marine may be able to handle more volume, so turnaround times may be quicker. Not 100% sure on that.

Good to hear that members are using Olson Brothers. I'm interested in hearing more about experiences with their service.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the Buffalo Northtowns. I bought my 195S from McMillan Marine in Rochester in August 2020. I chose McMillan because I was able to grab the last boat on their wait list. Olson Brothers would have been closer, but they weren't sure when they would see 2021s. (Remember those crazy COVID days?! A tough time to become a first time boat owner.)

The McMillan Marine ownership, sales, and service experience has been good. I had them perform the winterization at the end of the 2020 season because I had service credit and a coupon from Yamaha. All went well. They were always happy to answer any questions I had. I've performed all my maintenance since, and have been fortunate that I have not needed any warranty work (knock on wood!), so I don't have an extensive history with their service. However, other than the longer drive, I would have no reservations using them again. I *think* McMillan Marine may be able to handle more volume, so turnaround times may be quicker. Not 100% sure on that.

Good to hear that members are using Olson Brothers. I'm interested in hearing more about experiences with their service.
I've had good luck with them, haven't really had to have any major service done, I've had them do oil changes in the past, but started doing that my self. They are defintely a small dealership, husband and wife team, not sure how big the service department actually is. They did do a warranty repair on the gel work, had a spider crack on the gunnel at front of boat. Repair is fine, they fixed it over winter. Also, they repaired a hole in my factory cover at no charge which was nice. Generally when I call, I get the VM, but usually get a call back with in a half hour.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@obrien19 @mpecoraro

have another WNY/Buffalo question for you. I'm needing to get new tires put on my Q7. I typically buy off TireRack, then have them mounted locally. I have a known good local shop that has a road force balancing machine, and knows how to deal with the absurd size I run (285/45/21) on the car. They're reasonably priced, fast, and do great work. Not looking for the cheapest place, I'm picky, I know it, and I'll pay for attention to detail in this area.

Any recommendations on places in/around the southtowns area with a road force machine and offer great service? We're living right behind McKinley Mall, and I drive down 20 for work every day. Lots of tire places to find, just looking for a reccomendation on one with some good service.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@obrien19 @mpecoraro

have another WNY/Buffalo question for you. I'm needing to get new tires put on my Q7. I typically buy off TireRack, then have them mounted locally. I have a known good local shop that has a road force balancing machine, and knows how to deal with the absurd size I run (285/45/21) on the car. They're reasonably priced, fast, and do great work. Not looking for the cheapest place, I'm picky, I know it, and I'll pay for attention to detail in this area.

Any recommendations on places in/around the southtowns area with a road force machine and offer great service? We're living right behind McKinley Mall, and I drive down 20 for work every day. Lots of tire places to find, just looking for a reccomendation on one with some good service.
Unfortunately I dont have any recommendations for a tire shop. I lease my vehicles so generally dealership does all the maintenance for me. Dunn Tire is the chain shop around the area, I've had them do work in the past, but I'd say it's average service.

mpecoraro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@obrien19 @mpecoraro

Most recently I have used West Herr Ford for tires as they generally have competitive prices and the location is convenient. In the past I have used Dunn Tire as well. I'd say tire mounting is average for both. Gets the job done, but nothing special. I bought from Tire Rack in the past, but I bought a full tire package, so the wheels arrived balanced.

I know a guy that buys from Tire Rack regularly. I'll check with him and get back to you.

Stefanoar210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve felt a lot with Mavis tires. They will match online prices most the time and any price they give you is negotiable. They start high and work low.

Stefanoar210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since we all are from the area, is there any meet ups in the Buffalo area for jet boats or where does everyone hang out?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since we all are from the area, is there any meet ups in the Buffalo area for jet boats or where does everyone hang out?
Wife and I are new to the area. I started a new position up here in January. Wife and kids won't move up until June-ish.

We were saying we should organize a meet/greet/etc on the water once summer gets here.

We'll be busy with the move until July I'm sure. We'll also have the boat in Florida the last week of June. I'm guessing we'll need that long to let local waters warm up anyway.

Stefanoar210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wife and I are new to the area. I started a new position up here in January. Wife and kids won't move up until June-ish.

We were saying we should organize a meet/greet/etc on the water once summer gets here.

We'll be busy with the move until July I'm sure. We'll also have the boat in Florida the last week of June. I'm guessing we'll need that long to let local waters warm up anyway.
I’m originally from Buffalo but moved back myself this past fall. This will be our first time on waters here. I’m in the northtown areas so there’s a few spots I hear about on the river that have sandbar like areas.

mpecoraro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm not aware of any meet ups in the area. I often see Yamahas when launching, so we may have quorum. My Rate your 2023 boating season post touches on the areas we frequent the most. We spend a lot of time in the Sunset Bay area and Buffalo Harbor when Lake Erie cooperates. I generally prefer the lower Niagara to the upper mainly because it is more relaxing IMO, but both have pros and cons. When time allows we also make the trip to Chautauqua Lake and Canandaigua Lake. Both under 1.5 hours from home.

Stefanoar210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not aware of any meet ups in the area. I often see Yamahas when launching, so we may have quorum. My Rate your 2023 boating season post touches on the areas we frequent the most. We spend a lot of time in the Sunset Bay area and Buffalo Harbor when Lake Erie cooperates. I generally prefer the lower Niagara to the upper mainly because it is more relaxing IMO, but both have pros and cons. When time allows we also make the trip to Chautauqua Lake and Canandaigua Lake. Both under 1.5 hours from home.
Good to know! We spent a lot of time on Oneida lake in the past 5 years(Syracuse). They have a 3mile sandbar so theres like a huge party every weekend with like 100 boats.

mpecoraro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I know a guy that buys from Tire Rack regularly. I'll check with him and get back to you.
@2kwik4u Friend of mine takes his cars to Bauer Automotive, 4135 N Buffalo St, Orchard Park, NY 14127. He also has his tires mounted, winters swapped, etc. Not sure what tire equipment is used there. He speaks highly of the owner and their service.