• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Spare Tire Bracket and Jack...plus moved it around....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The old jack on the boat was getting really hard to move and the bracket for my spare tire snapped in half! So off to Northern Tool I went and bought a new one of each.

I bought this spare tire mount:

Which has an very clever locking mechanism for the tire.

And I bought this jack:

Both work very well and cost me a total of $69 out the door! WOOT! The jack goes much lower than the stock one, which is really nice as the place I park my boat at home has a slight hump, and was always a pain to get the stand rotated into its locking position to unhook the trailer.

I also decided to swap the sides that the jack and spare are on. This way the spare covers up the old jack stand mounting bracket, and the jack stand is on the side nearest my house...and the tire cover will be more visible! :)

The new Jack:
2014 jack stand.jpg

The new tire bracket with lock
2014 spare tire.jpg

The finished product with the all important Jetboaters.net tire cover!2014 tire cover.jpg

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking at the lock for the spare tire and can't figure out how it locks the tire on. Looks as you can just pull the bracket of the bolts.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a similar spare tire lock on a Pwc trailer I just sold. Mine was backed by a ubolt not a separate mount. So the ubolt mounted to a trailer rail, the spare on it and both were locked down by the two screw on arms that you have pics of and locked together so they could not be removed. The difference being the ubolt was the mount in my case so there were no nuts to remove. FYI I have been using a simple bike cable lock for years with out issue.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking those brackets are threaded on the one side and spin on to the stud independent of each other. Once locked, they cannot spin back out. Maybe??

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is ingeniously simple....those 2 brackets are threaded....so you rotate each one onto the bolt and once locked together you can't get them off as you can't spin them. Of course, someone could unbolt the whole assembly from your trailer.....

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
those 2 brackets are threaded....so you rotate each one onto the bolt and once locked together you can't get them off as you can't spin them
Hey, I was correct!

Of course, someone could unbolt the whole assembly from your trailer.....
Just make up some new brackets, tap them and install on the bracket that connects to the trailer frame. You would need to replace the bolts as well and would need 2 of them.

I might go get one of these. I've lived without it this summer so time to add. Thanks @Julian

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boy, did I screw that last post up! :confused:

It is ingeniously simple....those 2 brackets are threaded....so you rotate each one onto the bolt and once locked together you can't get them off as you can't spin them. Of course, someone could unbolt the whole assembly from your trailer.....
Hey, I was correct!

Just make up some new brackets, tap them and install on the bracket that connects to the trailer frame. You would need to replace the bolts as well and would need 2 of them.

I might go get one of these. I've lived without it this summer so time to add. Thanks @@Julian

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian just be careful with your spare on the drivers side, it would put you on the traffic side of a standard road while getting spare... Interested in how that jack holds up, looks like a great deal!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I considered the position and traffic, and because it is on the Y thinning section they'd have to swerve to get me.....

As for the Jack longevity....I had considered a Fulton jack, but at $150 I can buy more than 3 of these.....and I won't have this boat that long! (Don't tell my wife I said that....but I'm thinking 3 more years max on this one....and its time for a nicely used 2015 with rudder....I'm sure @Williamsone46 or @JetBoatPilot will be itching to buy the new 2017 model with the built in fridge and swim up bar! LOL)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked the spare tire holder up a few weeks ago and finally installed this weekend. It works great. Now I need a tire cover. Looking for that thread now :)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the same tire lock and yes it is threaded. Works like a charm.....I do need to switch to a combination lock as we already lost the key once and had to destroy a lock to get it off.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same tire lock and yes it is threaded. Works like a charm.....I do need to switch to a combination lock as we already lost the key once and had to destroy a lock to get it off.
Haha...I went with the keyed version with the thinking I would always have 1 key on my key chain and the other in my truck. I have too many passwords and such to remember that I couldn't do a 3 digit combo :) More power to you!

I am sending the last blue cover to @Trm1765 then I will be out.

Lets put another order together after the holidays.
@Bruce I added my name to the other thread for a red one. Thanks

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We use these on our pool gates. Much easier to remember combo and you can set to any direction combination you like.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats a nice lock setup. I just drill a 3/16" hole thru the stud and put a padlock through it. I am considering getting a jack with no wheel. I don't/can't wheel the boat around anyway. Thoughts? Cam.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats a nice lock setup. I just drill a 3/16" hole thru the stud and put a padlock through it. I am considering getting a jack with no wheel. I don't/can't wheel the boat around anyway. Thoughts? Cam.
For me, the wheel provides a little bit of flexibility to get the ball close to the tongue and move the tongue over the ball while lowering the jack. I have other trailers without wheels on their jacks but I do not hook up to them as frequently.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I find the wheel very useful too!

This jack is working awesomely so far, and for only $45! It is way smoother than the stock jack and is rated for 1500lbs. If it lasts 1/2 as long as the stock one I'll get a good 4 years out of it!