• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

replacing the engine hatch seal

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Following up on an original post and lead from @itsdgm I recently found the gasket seal around the engine hatch, between the hinges from McMaster-Carr.

The original dimension of the storage closet seal were not exactly 1:1 for what I found, as a result the fitment was a bit tighter but easily manageable. The new part is black vs the original white. In the end it did not matter visually.

McMaster Carr part number : 1120a331 has a 3/16" edge and 5/8" rubber bulb. The image below is from current catalog page 3486, page 3487 has similar configurations but not as close as this one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3486/=se280z

My original seal was deformed to the point of free hanging in the engine bay. This job is a simple remove and replace. No glue was used or edges to clean up. The min order is 10 ft, I used about 3, enough left over for another 2 boats.

upload_2014-6-13_9-46-25.png
1.jpg
2.jpg

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is just the uppersection between the hinges. @waterboy noted the other part number within the prior storage compartment thread. A link to that is in @Julian FAQ member tips thread

I cant get to either at the moment

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jetboater4life here it is: from https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-the-trim-on-our-storage-closet-door-opening.862/page-2

waterboy said:
@@justason I got the info off of another site a while back for the engine hatch seal. It worked very well. A bit thicker than the OEM and seemed to seal up better.

McMaster Carr p/n 93085k13 it is a 1/2" x 1/2" foam rubber seal with adhesive back. Cost is $0.66 a foot. I ordered 20 ft and had some left over.
Thanks for the lead @waterboy I'm surprised at the adhesive back vs a slot captivating the rough fiberglass edge. Did you adhere it to the hatch or the boat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Following up on an original post and lead from @itsdgm I recently found the gasket seal around the engine hatch, between the hinges from McMaster-Carr.

The original dimension of the storage closet seal were not exactly 1:1 for what I found, as a result the fitment was a bit tighter but easily manageable. The new part is black vs the original white. In the end it did not matter visually.

McMaster Carr part number : 1120a331 has a 3/16" edge and 5/8" rubber bulb. The image below is from current catalog page 3486, page 3487 has similar configurations but not as close as this one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3486/=se280z

My original seal was deformed to the point of free hanging in the engine bay. This job is a simple remove and replace. No glue was used or edges to clean up. The min order is 10 ft, I used about 3, enough left over for another 2 boats.

View attachment 7138
View attachment 7141
View attachment 7143
@justason Did you mean "Storage Closet seal" in the 2nd paragraph?

I've not studied how my engine hatch seal attaches, not sure if the 2007+ is the same as mine. If it is I'll buy your extra seal @justason .

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason Did you mean "Storage Closet seal" in the 2nd paragraph?

I've not studied how my engine hatch seal attaches, not sure if the 2007+ is the same as mine. If it is I'll buy your extra seal @justason .
I think i wrote it right. I took the dims from the storage area seal based on the same fiberglass thickness. Then added thr rubber bulb

I'll keep the spare in my truck. Beer will be had

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ah...I get it...you were using the storage hatch seal as a guide for the thickness of the engine hatch edge. I was trying to figure out how the length of the storage closet in any way related to the engine hatch....

Beer good....

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just wanted to check...my boat has a small bulb seal across the front of engine bay as seen in the pic below. I assume this is stock and that you guys are running a larger seal with a longer run around the whole compartment. Can somebody post a pic of your new seal mod? image.jpg