• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rewire trailer from Flat 5 to 7 Pin

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'm sure this is fairly straight forward, but I am considering rewiring the connector on my trailer from a flat 5 connector to the round 7 pin that's on my truck. My goal is primarily to have hot power at the trailer so I can install LED landing strip lights that activate with an electronic bilge switch.

Originally I was just going to tap into the existing trailer lights, but that would require that my parking lights be on in my truck. And if I'm gonna do this project, I may as well do it all right.

Anyone changed the wiring? When I look online, it seems every diagram shows the 12v hot in a different location (sometimes position 4, sometimes 7)??

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Pin 4 is 12v always. Pin 7 is 12v reverse only. I'd wire off of running lights pin 3.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a wiring diagram I made for the 2008 MFI. Cam.

Attachments

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did this about a month ago so I could add landing strip lights and @KXCam22 's diagram was spot on.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I swapped the 5 pin for a 7 in 2013. I love not needing the adapter. It was perhaps a 30 minute project. The 7 pin adapter came with a small document labeling the pins. It may have even had the color codes. I used a drill battery to test each wire before connecting it to the 7 pin connector.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped mine as well, much easier than using the adapter. My outlet cover on my truck has the diagram on it, and the plug came with one, very simple swap.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Upgrade your brakes to electric instead of hydraulic while you're at it ;-).

That said, pep boys and camper world seem to have the best kits for changing this out. Just be careful about how much cable you chop off. When you put the 7-pin connector on, it uses about 2.5" of cable, and you're losing about 1" of cable when you chop off the 4/5-pin connector. Also be sure to put some heat shrink tubing on before you wire up your 7-pin adaptor (learned that the hard way).

I had to create a 7-pin 1' extension cable (I ended up making it 18" long), though I'm sure I could buy one online, because I decided to add hitch attached mud flaps to my rig. Be very mindful of your cable length!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow Cam. Nice drawing. I stuck that in my boating folder for the future.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was going to thank you all by name, but so many of you responded that I'll just say say thanks to all of you. I think I'll use the 12v always on pin since I'm adding a water sensing switch. And thanks for the reminder about cable length too.

I hope to remember to take pictures -- cause if I don't, it didn't happen.

Thanks guys.