• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solenoid valve advice needed

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I want to control the factory ballast bags separately (212X) by placing solenoid valves after the ballast pump, allowing me to lean the boat when I surf. I seem to recall someone (Cam?) saying you need a special type.
Anyone have insight on this? Will a typical 12vdc Asco solenoid valve do the trick?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry but it wont work. Well it will but only in one direction. Been there and tested all alternatives. What you need to use is a electric ball valve. The 12V chinese brass ones are available on ebay for cheap with free shipping usually. Hope this helps. I am putting in 2 this year. Cam.

ps make sure it is a full-port 1" valve with NPT threads. You are better to use a slightly larger valve (ie 1" on a 3/4" line) to reduce any flow losses.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OK. Thanks Cam. I'll find some and post back for your thoughts on what I find.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will have a look and recommend some. The only true difference is that they come with about 4 or 5 possible wiring diagrams. They all work but the one to use is the 12v power to open, then spring close. I will post some info. Its too bad that the regular solenoid valve don't work for us. I tested the 24vac plastic sprinkler solenoids and they worked quite nicely at 12vdc. They could work but only on a system that used the tiny tsunami separate fill and drain pumps, so each fill/drain leg is only one way water flow. I look at that type of system once but it is too hard in the yamaha since the fill pumps have to be below the hull water line, and then you end up with 2 pumps per bag. Cam

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cam,
I have been thinking about this a little and I like what you say about 1"NPT. But for my application I believe I will try to find normally open, power to close ball valve. I want to fail safe open so we don't accidently turn on a pump with valves closed. Do you have any suggestions?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could add a 2nd pump. Would fill and drain twice as fast.

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jim, I put 4 of these in my 212ss.

http://r.ebay.com/GijbHa

They operate with end point limit switches. You can wire it to be normally open or normally closed. It is motorized open and motorized closed. You could wire 2 of these on a 3 position switch, for left open, both open, right open. I can help with the wiring diagram if you want to go this route.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Dan144k,
Let me remind you that I am kinda a "do it cheap" guy. Although your idea does have an appeal.

Trace,
Any problem finding BSP to NPT reducers? Any flow issues with the 20mm opening?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can order the NPT ones. BSP adapters may cost more than the valves. Just have to specify when ordering. I found this one quick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-2-3-4-1-1-1-4-Electric-Ball-Valve-Brass-Motorized-Ball-Valve-NPT-BSP-/161222318515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item25899959b3
1" full port, NPT, 12V, spring return open or closed. There may be better deals and ordering US vs China may have a cost implication. China is cheaper for me due to cross border fees. The CR02-02 wiring diagram was what I was looking at, 2 wire control and spring return. Cam.

PS Trace, how is your bluetooth control working out? I tried to sponsor my sons engineering group to build a BT ballast system for a project class but they ended up doing something else.

Last edited:

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry didn't see they were bsp, the ones I used were npt.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is so sweet! I am tempted to change mine just because. I tried to use a background photo on my HMI but the pixel count is too crappy to bother. I like the video. I will have to do a video to demo mine this summer. Cam.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are tons of apps to control blue tooth switches just as simple on off buttons. I used mit app inventor to build my app which is an object based programming utility. Takes a little bit of getting used to and I reviewed a ton of example apps to learn how to build mine, but if you've had any programming experience at all it's pretty easy to figure out.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK @trace , what if I was interested in building this but I have no programming experience what so ever? I can machine stuff all day long. When it comes to the electrical side I am kind of stumped beyond car/boat audio.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
OK @trace , what if I was interested in building this but I have no programming experience what so ever? I can machine stuff all day long. When it comes to the electrical side I am kind of stumped beyond car/boat audio.
I have programming experience, it can't be that hard to figure out. I'll take a shot at it if you want.

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
sstegh, if you are going to do the android app with app inventor, I can give you my app inventor build files and then you could modify it to change the background picture, macs id for the bluetooth controller, ascii character controls for the relays etc....

Jerry,
depending on whether you are running pumps or valves I can draw you a wiring diagram depending on what you want to run.

The ball valves I used had to be driven closed and driven open, so I had to wire them with a relay along with the bluetooth relay so the voltage polarity would reverse to drive the valves back and forth. If you are trying to drive a reversible pump you will have to use 2 of the bluetooth relays to drive it in both directions.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cool, I would be running one maybe 2 pumps and then I would be running 4 ball valves. The relays wouldn't be an issue but I am glad I know that now. Saves me some frustration. I think this could be done fairly cheap from what i have seen on ebay and such. Thanks @trace I appreicate all the info and I am sure I will be talking to you about it Saturday. You as well @sstegh .