• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unclogging an intake grate

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I own Sugar Sand Calais 20' jet. I replaced the surge grate with a 12 tong grate which has solved the problem of sucking up sticks that get caught in the impeller. Recently while out on the inner coastal water way in December I clogged the intake with vegetation (guess I won't go out in December an more) and had to be towed in to my marina. Once there it was easy to clear it once the boat was picked up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unclogged an intake like this while still in the water (without diving under the boat)? I tried getting up some speed, switching off the engine and putting it in reverse to push water through the intake, but this did not work. I love the boat but getting stuck like this is not fun. Thanks for any help. Love the forum.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am not an expert on the sugar sands @mpeltz but we have a few guys that owned them. On our Yamahas, we do the reverse move. That consists of getting up some speed in reverse, then killing the engines and throwing the throttles full forward to open the reverse gates to allow water to flow through and wash any grass and debris out of the intake and impeller area. Not sure if the same rigging applies to your boat. Welcome aboard!

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The nozzle wasn't clogged the intake grate was. So I was hoping to push water through the nozzle through the grate to clear it. Hence, forward, then shifting to reverse to push water in reverse through the grate. But it didn't work anyway.

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure how the other jet boats are set up. I know Yamaha has a clean out that sounds pretty handy. This boat has an intake grate on the bottom of the boat. Very similar to the jet skies I have seen. I assumed getting some forward speed and throwing it into reverse with the engine off would push water through the jet nozzle and push water out the grate, however, the impeller is probably going to prevent that move.

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Julian, I just read your link. I will have to try that next time. I was thinking reverse would grab water and push it through the jet nozzle. Problem I had is I really couldn't get any speed with the clogged grate. But, I will try this next time. Won't the impeller block water from getting past it with the engine turned off?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Correct, which is why you want to go in reverse. The move described at the link will clear all but the most stubborn stuff off an intake grate. Reverse/kill engine/gate open--in forward position.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On our Yamahas when the reverse trick does not work we have to go in the water too. On mine I can hold the cleat by the rear swim platform and use my toes to unclog the grate. You can usually work top to bottom or back to front. I would never dive under my boat but my lakes are shallow with very very low visibility. I also make sure to wear a life jacket just in case something unexpected happens.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On our Yamahas when the reverse trick does not work we have to go in the water too. On mine I can hold the cleat by the rear swim platform and use my toes to unclog the grate. You can usually work top to bottom or back to front. I would never dive under my boat but my lakes are shallow with very very low visibility. I also make sure to wear a life jacket just in case something unexpected happens.
I've never ever had to go into the water to clear something out of a pump. Even when I sucked up a ski rope. Not sure why you would. Unless of course you are a body builder, on the boat on your own, and your arms don't fit down the clean out ports! LOL

That said, 90% of things will come out with the reverse tip.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, I just read your link. I will have to try that next time. I was thinking reverse would grab water and push it through the jet nozzle. Problem I had is I really couldn't get any speed with the clogged grate. But, I will try this next time. Won't the impeller block water from getting past it with the engine turned off?
No, the impeller doesn't block the water from coming through. It does restrict it some, but not block it. Now if you have kept on driving forward and are at the point where you have totally clogged your pump with weeds, this trick will not work. But if you get some weeds, move into deeper water and do this, and often you'll see the clump appear in the water.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've never ever had to go into the water to clear something out of a pump. Even when I sucked up a ski rope. Not sure why you would. Unless of course you are a body builder, on the boat on your own, and your arms don't fit down the clean out ports! LOL

That said, 90% of things will come out with the reverse tip.
You have not had to *yet*. Run through a patch of weeds that build a mat over your intakes and you are not clearing that from the top. I used to carry a paint stir stick for 5 gallon buckets in the boat to try to push them out but sometimes they would just float against the hull in the intake recess. If you hear the word milfoil stay away..far far away. If it is in your channel then buy the lake rake. I have the lake rake and the aquatic weed eradicator and only use the lake rake. Get the handle extensions and go to work. Last time I did my channel was a few years ago and I had a pile 6ft around and 6 feet tall about every 6 feet. Each scoop came out weighing a ton but dried to dust. We just raked it out and chopped it with the mower. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-86036-36-Inch-Lake-Rake/dp/B0006HRQU4

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You have not had to *yet*. Run through a patch of weeds that build a mat over your intakes and you are not clearing that from the top. I used to carry a paint stir stick for 5 gallon buckets in the boat to try to push them out but sometimes they would just float against the hull in the intake recess. If you hear the word milfoil stay away..far far away. If it is in your channel then buy the lake rake. I have the lake rake and the aquatic weed eradicator and only use the lake rake. Get the handle extensions and go to work. Last time I did my channel was a few years ago and I had a pile 6ft around and 6 feet tall about every 6 feet. Each scoop came out weighing a ton but dried to dust. We just raked it out and chopped it with the mower. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-86036-36-Inch-Lake-Rake/dp/B0006HRQU4
I've been Jet boating since 2003....I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate, but I doubt I will ever have to. I took a wrong turn into a dead end channel between Lake Tomahawk and Minoqua in Wisconsin and ended up totally clogging both pumps on my LX210. Toss and anchor, opened up the clean outs and used my boat hook to push the big clumps off the grates. Then eased out on one motor into deeper water, did the reverse trick with the unused motor, and off we went.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been Jet boating since 2003....I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate, but I doubt I will ever have to. I took a wrong turn into a dead end channel between Lake Tomahawk and Minoqua in Wisconsin and ended up totally clogging both pumps on my LX210. Toss and anchor, opened up the clean outs and used my boat hook to push the big clumps off the grates. Then eased out on one motor into deeper water, did the reverse trick with the unused motor, and off we went.
It is kind of like the people that say they know how to drive in the winter because they have not ended up in the ditch yet. Granted milfoil is an invasive species from somebody dumping their fish tank in the lake, but I have clogged up an outboard with these weeds. If you ever get up here in August with your boat I can show you around although I would recommend avoiding the frustration and just enjoying the lakes.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@davel501 I lived in Illinois until 4 years ago, used to boat the Chain of Lakes and am very familiar with milfoil....that is what I clogged my pumps with in Wisconsin (many times with). Silver Lake was where we used to have our boat in a slip, and by the end of the day on a Saturday there would be an island of floating weeds in the middle of the Lake! I can clear the weeds more easily from the cleanout than I can from in the water...

And of course I know how to drive in snow...I lived in Syracuse for 4 years! And ended up in a ditch during a blizzard there once, when I could no longer see the road, it turned, and I didn't....whoops! Fortunately there was a blizzard party that we went to and slept on the floor at (oh those college days!)

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, This is good stuff. However, I'm beginning to feel a bit lonely here. I own a jet boat but its not a Yamaha...please don't throw anything at me. I love jet boating!! I bought my new 2008 Sugar Sand just before they went out of business. Good timing I guess. It is a good boat. It runs a 200 hp 2 cycle Murcuy Optomax engine. Never had any problems with it at all. I just moved from Smith Mountain Lake VA to Myrtle Beach SC and am trying to figure out the boating thing hear at the beach. So far I can't seem to find a mechanic that wants to even touch the jet pump out drive. I know at some point I am going to have to service the stator, oil change, Shaft lube, etc. I'm hoping I can find someone before I actually have a problem. You all have been very helpful and I hope I don't get the boot because I don't have a Yamaha. It looks like a great boat and I do like the clean out it has. I will try the reverse idea next time I have a problem. thanks again for a great forum.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@mpeltz No way you'll get the boot for not having a Yamaha! Now perhaps we'll boot you if you don't show up at a local gathering!!! Last year we hooked up at Lake Murray SC...perfect for you. @Stacey in SC and family are awesome folks in your neck of the woods, as is @andy07sx230ho.

As for maintaining your boat. It can't be that much different than ours. Pump maintenance is pretty easy. Oil changes are as easy as pumping up a tire and undoing a nut (if the last filter has a nut on it). I'd love to see your boat....so we'll have to hook up sometime. If you run into other Sugarsands Jetboaters elsewhere....point them here! We welcome all!

mpeltz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Julian! yes, I see there are a few other jet boaters in my area. A new fellow in Myrtle Beach and the young lady from Charleston SC. I don't see any fellow Sugar Sand owners yet :( This could be a lonely ride haha. I have my boat at a dry storage at Ospry Marina. I hate to say I don't have a way to move the boat. If I have to I can but I don't own a vehicle with a hitch. That's a problem, but the marina puts it in and takes it out...yep real lazy I know. I did trailer a 16' jet boat and actually got pretty good with it, but this one is a bit big for me. I do hope I get to meet you or the other people on here at some point. My wife and I love boating and I hope to stick with my jet boat if I can get a few of these kinks worked out. Thanks again for your time and interest. Let me know if you head to Myrtle Beach sometime.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, This is good stuff. However, I'm beginning to feel a bit lonely here. I own a jet boat but its not a Yamaha...please don't throw anything at me. I love jet boating!! I bought my new 2008 Sugar Sand just before they went out of business. Good timing I guess. It is a good boat. It runs a 200 hp 2 cycle Murcuy Optomax engine. Never had any problems with it at all. I just moved from Smith Mountain Lake VA to Myrtle Beach SC and am trying to figure out the boating thing hear at the beach. So far I can't seem to find a mechanic that wants to even touch the jet pump out drive. I know at some point I am going to have to service the stator, oil change, Shaft lube, etc. I'm hoping I can find someone before I actually have a problem. You all have been very helpful and I hope I don't get the boot because I don't have a Yamaha. It looks like a great boat and I do like the clean out it has. I will try the reverse idea next time I have a problem. thanks again for a great forum.
Don't worry man! We're BOATERS first, JETBOATERS second! (Heck some of us are even closet sailboaters...we try not to talk about it. ;)) All are welcome here!

Tarik Hodzic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
mpeltz where did you buy a new grate? I have a 2004 Sugar Sand Mirage 1800 and I keep sucking in sticks. It is REALLY annoying. Does anyone know where I can buy a 12 tong grate?