• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading Yamaha SX230 garboard drain plug to stainless steel retained version

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last week I discovered a slight leak from the factory drain plug. I probably could have fixed it by simply replacing the $6 bronze screw in plug but I decided that I wanted the convenience of a retained plug like the newer models have. The biggest advantages are avoiding the need to keep up with the plug and no longer needing a wrench to install and remove the plug.

I spent $20 on a retained stainless steel drain plug from Sea Dog. http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2053-captive-garboard-drain-plug

I assumed that the Sea Dog plug would fit in the factory hole. Unfortunately the factory plug had a 1" hole and the new plug needed a 1 1/8th hole.

This is a picture of the old and new hardware.

image.jpg

I started off by removing the three screws that held the factory drain plug in place. The housing did not want to come out as it was stuck with caulk so used a pair of lock jaw pliers to remove it.

image.jpg

Then I cleaned off the old caulk carefully with a paint scraper and my thumbnails.

image.jpg

I thought I was ready to install so I shot the screw holes full of life caulk, caulked up the new drain plug and tried to install.

Unfortunately it did not fit. So I took a scrap piece of wood flooring and used the old drain plug as a template to drill screw holes in it. I mounted it where the original drain plug had been and used a 1 1/8" spade bit to drill through the wood for a guide and then through the hull. If I were planning in advance I would have a 1 1/8th hole saw on hand and would use a socket as a guide to avoid needing the wood.

The screw holes also were in different positions.

I caulked up the original screw holes, recaulked the new drain plug and installed it in the enlarged hole.

Once it was seated against the hull I drilled new screw holes filling each with caulk before inserting the screw. Once I had the third screw in I retightened the other two.

I used #8 x 3/4 stainless oval head screws. The factory screws were stainless and could have been reused but I had new ones on hand.

After the caulk dries for 48 hours I will add water to the bilge to check for leaks.

This is the final product

image.jpg

If others do this hopefully you will be able to find a plug that will fit in a 1" hole. If you do please share the part number.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oooooooooooohhh....shiney!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks really nice! I had considered this upgrade myself. My plastic drain plug looks pretty bad, but I decided as long as it's not leaking I'm going to leave it. It is easy to operate and I can completely remove and re-install it out by pinching the plastic in the hole. Another plus is that its the same plug as the ones in my ski lockers so I have several replacements.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice Bruce..

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like it.

Do they sell just the plug?

I need to carry at least 3 extra. Don't ask why, that's classified.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Glassman, the plug is permanently installed inside its housings. I believe the only option for a spare is to buy complete extra units.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman, the plug is permanently installed inside its housings. I believe the only option for a spare is to buy complete extra units.
OK, gothcha...hard to view on the phone, but now I see it.
That's excellent.
And would be on my list of things to do now.

Pewaukee Dave

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed the exact same item a few years ago. A very nice upgrade that looks good and makes life easier.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice mod!! I need one. Cam.