• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Whole boat Sun shade?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the South the sun during the summer can be very intense (this comment is for the northern boaters). The Bimini helps, but really doesn't provide enough shade for our taste. I was thinking a 10' x 20' cover that would go over the top of the Bimini. By using the tower and Bimini to support the middle of the cover I would only need to support the four outer corners. To do this I was thinking of using adjustable tent poles, academy has tent poles that telescope from 4' to 8'. To help secure the poles and pull the cover tight I was thinking of using bungees running from the tarp/pole corners to the tie downs on the side of the boat.

I think I will use a cheap tarp as a proof of concept, adjust sizes, etc. Once it's up and I solidify the design, I think I could replace the tarp with Sunbrella fabric. Possibly sewing pockets into the outer edges to run 1/2" PVC pipe to provide some stability. Who knows perhaps I could Velcro the edge and hang mosquito netting from the sides to turn it into an overnight camper...

Thoughts? Ideas? Improvements, or challenges?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's exactly what I was thinking of, thanks I hadn't seen it before. Is that much larger than the standard bimini?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
There is a member on here that has purchased this and his profile picture shows his 240 with it on. Trying to remember who it was...

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really like it, but it appears to leave the bow in the sun. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it covers the bimini area and extends to cover the aft swim deck area. I can see how most people would want at least one area left in the sun, but I'm trying to shade the entire length of the boat.

It's a really great design though and I bet it's light and easy to put up.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We don't make them but do sell them. The kit works great for the bow if the sun is directly overhead. As the sun starts moving no cover will completely cover the entire boat unless you are constantly adjusting the cover. I was actually quite pleased with the cover overall.

The only thing I did not like about it is that it is not intended to be used while the boat is underway.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I totally agree with the fact there isn't a perfect solution. The way the wind blows my boat around at anchor I'll never have perfect shade. I also have no idea to cover the entire boat while moving, a cover that large would definitely end up as a kite, and I have no desire to own the first airborne Yamaha! :)

My main idea was really something large enough to shade the boat, but provide enough surface area to attach mosquito netting at night to turn it into a pseudo camping shell. So daytime just the cover, then at night attach the netting to keep the bugs out, once anchored and in place.

I may honestly never get around to it, but given the lack of bow tents or camping solutions for the 242, I thought this might serve two purposes. Maybe it'll be a good winter project.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I totally agree with the fact there isn't a perfect solution. The way the wind blows my boat around at anchor I'll never have perfect shade. I also have no idea to cover the entire boat while moving, a cover that large would definitely end up as a kite, and I have no desire to own the first airborne Yamaha! :)

My main idea was really something large enough to shade the boat, but provide enough surface area to attach mosquito netting at night to turn it into a pseudo camping shell. So daytime just the cover, then at night attach the netting to keep the bugs out, once anchored and in place.

I may honestly never get around to it, but given the lack of bow tents or camping solutions for the 242, I thought this might serve two purposes. Maybe it'll be a good winter project.
Well, get on it. . . . . and while you're at it make an AR240 Variant. . . = )

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe I should have sought a patent before I shared the idea here.... ;)

Jimminh

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's not a great solution to the issue but I've been experimenting with an 'anchorshade 3'umbrella up front and have thrown a Coleman 10x13 screen house tent (fabric only no frame) over the umbrella and bimini. Covers everything but the swim platform. Plan to use shock cord around the perimeter to seal the screen to keep out bugs. It's not pretty or tailored to fit (yet) but it turns the boat into an instant tent.image.jpg The white stuff is the shipping cover rolled up while trying it out. image.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I was looking into having a bigger shade/bimini made someone sent me this pic of a YJB forum member's ("bucks448 or buck448", I think) full bimini for his SX190. This maybe more of what you described.

full length bimini.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jimminh , that looks like a pretty good solution so far and you haven't spent $500+ getting there. I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

@Jimminh and @cane.mba , have either of you slept overnight on your boat yet? Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a comfortable place on it and I've slept in the bow with the bow cushions in, once with an inflated tube on top of them (too short and still hard), on the lounger (the hinge/gap in the seat is less than optimal) and even on the floor/deck (too hard). Having had those experiences I'm sure I don't want or need to turn my boat into a tent for overnight camping. Thankfully, I haven't boated at a place that needed a mosquito screen, if I had it would have been my first and last time there.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jimminh , that looks like a pretty good solution so far and you haven't spent $500+ getting there. I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

@Jimminh and @cane.mba , have either of you slept overnight on your boat yet? Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a comfortable place on it and I've slept in the bow with the bow cushions in, once with an inflated tube on top of them (too short and still hard), on the lounger (the hinge/gap in the seat is less than optimal) and even on the floor/deck (too hard). Having had those experiences I'm sure I don't want or need to turn my boat into a tent for overnight camping. Thankfully, I haven't boated at a place that needed a mosquito screen, if I had it would have been my first and last time there.
I have used my 242 LS for camping on for 6 days straight. I bought a ultra light blow-up mattress (queen size i think) that is very durable and packs very small. It fits across the back seats (wedged in just a little) using the cooler on the middle floor to support the section that has no seat under it. Worked like a charm, very comfortable and i just put $19 tarp over the back portion if I thought it was going to rain at night. That along with my 100 watt solar panel, grill, toilet and transom shower kept me at full battery and comfortable/clean all week long.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jimminh that's very close to what I have in mind. Your pics definitely made me realize I wasn't planning enough of a support structure for it.

@Ronnie That is the look I had bouncing around in my brain. I am hopeful that I can eliminate some of the side supports by using the tower and existing bimini on the 242.

On the camping front I have taken several naps on the boat, but I haven't tried camping or sleeping overnight yet. Like @Yamaha242lsdallas I had planned on using a smaller air mattress on the bow cushions, and another rig to stretch across the aft seats to support a larger air mattress. But as several members have pointed out a key tool in my arsenal is missing.... A welder!! @txav8r @0627Devildog

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hehehehe tagged 5 people in that last post! A new record for me.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jimminh that's very close to what I have in mind. Your pics definitely made me realize I wasn't planning enough of a support structure for it.

@Ronnie That is the look I had bouncing around in my brain. I am hopeful that I can eliminate some of the side supports by using the tower and existing bimini on the 242.

On the camping front I have taken several naps on the boat, but I haven't tried camping or sleeping overnight yet. Like @Yamaha242lsdallas I had planned on using a smaller air mattress on the bow cushions, and another rig to stretch across the aft seats to support a larger air mattress. But as several members have pointed out a key tool in my arsenal is missing.... A welder!! @txav8r @0627Devildog
Well PONY up already. . . . Cheapskate.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a pretty awesome tower, and the setup @Jimminh has is pretty slick! Makes me almost regret paying $2K to have a tent made for my boat (pictures to come soon as I get my boat back from Sugarhouse Awning).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@cane.mba , I got the picture from someone other than Bucks448 but was told he had the full bimini made by a shop in FL for $600 . I will let you know bucks exact YJB forum name if you want to talk/type to him about his aftermarket bimini.
By the way, I think $600 is a bargain for what I see. This is based on what I paid for materials to extend my bimini and have a custom boot made for the same.

Bimini 1.JPG
boot straps (1).JPG

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cane.mba check out my signature picture :winkingthumbsup" then look at my photos here ----> https://jetboaters.net/media/users/rigger.85/ I posted a bunch! I'm very pleased with the Yamaha shade! It's designed to work with a tower but I think you could make it work with a bimini vice a tower.