• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Scarab 165G Motor Issue

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
What @Cobra Jet Steering LLC in general are all good things to do regardless. But if the boat was running fine a month or so ago, it's unlikely it's stale gas, etc. Unless you somehow got water in there yourself due to X.

Every time you turn on the ignition, your pump should turn on (you can hear it if you listen carefully). No need to turn on the boat. It lasts 2 seconds. Worth listening too.

In short, it really sounds like it may be a mechanical/electrical failure that's new then if the boat was running fine in January. But ground checking as was mentioned is a good thing to do for sure.

Also, I'll PM you some extra service manual yelp.

globaldude

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I agree with the logic. I took the boat out this morning. It stalled once idling out from the dock then it started right up. It stalled again shortly afterwards when I accelerate from 20 mph (no spitting n sputtering, just a straight stall). As always, it starts right up again. After the second stall it ran perfect for the entire 35-40 minutes I was on the Indian River. I put it through all kinds of stop & go maneuvers, straight cruising at different speeds and hard turns without any spitting or sputtering.

My wife (who's always smarter than me but I'll never tell her that, lol) mentioned I may've gotten bad gas the last time I fueled up. Maybe the HEET gas treatment did the trick if it was the fuel. Someone also mentioned they had similar issues that turned out to be bad plugs so maybe my new plugs did the trick. It's hard to say if the gremlin is gone for good but I hoping he is. If that little bastard comes back, I'll post an update here.

Other forums I'm on, some guys aren't so quick to offer assistance to new folks. Some will immediately focus on pointing out how much a forum newbie like me doesn't know. This forum isn't like that so I thank you all for that as much as I thank you for all the technical assistance.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
lol Glad we were somewhat helpful. The fact that it did intially stall and the kinks worked themselves out really points to the gas as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC mentioned. It's possible the new plugs helped, but this sounds like a gas issue. You got the bad stuff out.

I suspect your problems are gone. Make sure to keep that tank water free. ;) No need for premium gas btw in your engine. There is no advantage. Also the word "premium" is not a great name. The higher octane in it does NOT mean better quality gas. And your engine, being the 150HP does NOT take advantage of the higher octane. You can burn premium just fine, but it won't maka a difference in your boat. When you store the boat, make sure to treat it with stabilizer. I like to dump the stabilizer, then fill the tank so that it mixes well. Then I run the engine to do all the winterizing. Gets the treated gas through the engine while doing the maintenance.

Btw, if you have that fuel gauge stuck problem again, ping me. It's a design flaw which I think they've rectified in the newer models. I know all about it. When your gas tank is fairly full and you turn hard or hit large wakes, the float can get stuck inside the mouth of the tank. I tried all kinds of things to solve it, in the end, I ended up bending the float rod. I have an entire post on this. It's worked flawlessly ever since. Just be very very suspicious if your tank remains on full for too long. If it seems too good to be true, it is. lol

globaldude

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The fuel gauge has shown full since I've owned the boat. I'll look for your stuck fuel gauge post.