• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Scarab 215iD, twin 250 engines U16B5 port ECU checksum error

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
2019 Scarab 215iD boat with twin 250 engines. Checked the codes using CanDoo and the error code is U16B5 Port ECU checksum error ID 015h. I reset the code, but it comes back when the engine is started. Unhooked battery for 30 minutes and the code came back after starting. Searched the Internet and the ROTAX 4 TEC service manual and did not find a solution. Any ideas???

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Last one. Computer can't communicate apparently. I don't have a solution...

1688053723378.png

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I saw this in the manual, but there is no solution/action offered. The engines operate without any noticeable issues. Both engines synchronize and run at the same RPM.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, nothing anywhere on this that I can see. New to me as well. This may be dealer territory... who can also speak to BRP directly. The only "obvious" thing to me is either a failed connection/connector or a problem with the ECU.

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I checked the connections and they are good. I sent a message request to BRP. I will post the response.

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Waiting to hear back from my email to Scarab. BRP Rotax was no help they said take it to a Scarab dealer.

Spartang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Any response from Scarab? I've got a 2016 215 with twin 150s, the check engine light came on this weekend, but it was running fine. I can start and run each engine individually without getting the check engine light, it's only when they are both running that I get the issue. Candoo gave me the same U16BD code, as well as several others.

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
No response from Scarab. I submitted 2 emails to their tech support email and no response. Yesterday, I pulled the jumpers for the CAN low and high and cleaned/scuff the connectors in the Port fuse block. Also, I replaced the 2 relays. After cleaning the connectors and replacing the relays I was able to clear the U16B fault codes. I was not able to take the boat out due to weather conditions but hope to run it this evening. I will let you know if the codes are gone.

danny4255

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Hello, I'm getting the same code but also codes that ECM's don't know their positions. Hoping you can elaborate on your fix "I pulled the jumpers for the CAN low and high and cleaned/scuff the connectors in the Port fuse block. Also, I replaced the 2 relays." Locations and relays? Thanks

Skeeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Danny, the 2 relays that I replaced are located in the port fuse block. What do you mean "codes that ECM's don't know their position", i.e., port and starboard? Make sure you plug the jumpers back in correctly. You can plug in the jumper and be off one terminal. That happened to me the first time with the jumper. I noticed that the jumper was off because the cover would not fit back on the fuse block. Make sure your battery voltage is good 12.5 to 13 volts. If your battery is older than 3-4 years it is probably worth replacing the battery.

danny4255

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the fast response, I appreciate it. I checked those and all other accessible connections. Everything looks clean and tight. Disconnected the battery to reboot everything. Going to disconnect the ECUs to inspect connectors. And then take it for a ride today and hope for the best. My batteries are original but I keep them on trickle chargers constantly and test them often and they are rock solid. B.U.D.S. 2 last minute of history had some very disturbing bouncing data with ECT, RPMs, TP, throttle sensor. ECT Even drop to 0'F for about 20 seconds then started bouncing back and forth. Doesn't look good unfortunately maybe be a trip to the dealer....