• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2024 Tow Vehicle Overview

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup. May get an F-150 sometime this year but will keep the Expy.

From what I have read, the 2017 is the last year with 6 spd trans. (all 3rd Gen Expeditions have them). From 2018 to current they have the 10 spd and there have been issues with them and towing beats the hell out of them. Many lawsuits and things going on with them. I get my info from the Ford Expedition Forum a lot of great information. But I cannot confirm this first hand. Getting ready to put in new shocks and coils that I have sitting in my garage, KYB's. Was going to do it a few weeks ago but the weather changed. Will put a couple of Sumo Spring

Almost bought the F-150 two weeks ago, but the dealer jacked me around at the last minute. It was a 2023 F-150 Powerboost. Will see how the 2024 are priced and what deals they will offer, otherwise I may just wait on a 2nd vehicle.
The 10 speed I like overall. The f150 guys do seem to complain about it more. I think it just took Ford a while to get a good calibration on it, and even then, it isn't perfect. About once a quarter it makes a clunky shift, like it wasn't expecting to shift. That said, it's another of those shared designs between GM and Ford, and they bolt it behind the raptor r. We are at just over 50k miles and it seems to shift harder when cold then before, probably time to look into a fluid drain and fill or two. It also takes quite a while for the trans fluid to warm up, so I have a hard time believing it doesn't have enough cooling for towing. That said, ours is a loaded limited stealth, so it has any towing packages and whatnot that might help it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS Read up on the forums that I linked. It appears if it starts the clunking once in a while that, that is a sign that it should be addressed and future problems may arise. I would of much preferred the 10 speed. new models seems to be less prone. The 6 speed I have is pretty much bullet proof. But now it is 7 years old. I was hoping to get a newer Expy, but figured I would just keep mine for towing when I need to get 8 people in vehicle to the lake. Depending on price will most likely get an F-150, Powerboost with the 360 system and tow package. For all the other times when it is just me, or me and the admiral or a kid or two I will take the F-150 to tow. Plus I will most likely just lease it for a couple/few years and either buy it at the end, or just turn it in.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
What does your owners manual say the tow rating is? Does it mention towed length or not? Seems like that tow rating would be inclusive of the wheel base as well as other factors. For me, I’d be going off of the tow rating. In the case of my F-350 CC SWB 4x4, the two rating is 21,000#, there is no mention of wheel base. Some of the RV trailers these days are upwards of 42’ long, but are well within the tow rating of the truck. That 21,000# is either class V ball hitch, fifth wheel, or gooseneck.
Manual says nothing about Trailer Length vs. GVW other than check the sticker on the Driver Side b Pillar for your vehicle specific rating.

Sticker Shows:
GVWR: 7,500lbs
GCWR: 14,500lbs
RGAWR: 4,300lbs
Curb Weight: 6002lbs
Max Payload: 1,498lbs

Conventional TWR: 8,100lbs
Max Tongue Weight: 8,10lbs

2024 255xd:
Dry Weight-4,694lbs
75 Gallons of Fuel-485lbs
Weight Capacity-2,350lbs
Shorelander YAV51TJXWMS0 Trailer-1,190lbs
Total-8,719lbs

Tahoe-6,002lbs
Boat-4,694lbs
Fuel-485lbs
Trailer-1,190lbs
Total-12,371lbs
Gear/Passengers/Dog/Beer-2,129lbs
GCWR Left Over-0lbs
So if I fully load the Boat to max capacity rating, load up the family in the Tahoe, and have enough Beer to spend a 2 weeks on Lake Powell..........

I may exceed the rating just a bit. But I do not see myself loading up 2,100lbs of Beer (90-30pks) then towing.

Thank you all for making me run the numbers and prove to the wife we need a SUV with a higher GCWR.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS Read up on the forums that I linked. It appears if it starts the clunking once in a while that, that is a sign that it should be addressed and future problems may arise. I would of much preferred the 10 speed. new models seems to be less prone. The 6 speed I have is pretty much bullet proof. But now it is 7 years old. I was hoping to get a newer Expy, but figured I would just keep mine for towing when I need to get 8 people in vehicle to the lake. Depending on price will most likely get an F-150, Powerboost with the 360 system and tow package. For all the other times when it is just me, or me and the admiral or a kid or two I will take the F-150 to tow. Plus I will most likely just lease it for a couple/few years and either buy it at the end, or just turn it in.
I will have to take a look into it. We have a lifetime powertrain warranty on it, so I'm not super concerned, but it's good to know.

I am not a huge fan of the 6 speed. We had it in a series of explorer sport tracs, and they all needed torque converters. My biggest gripe with Ford is that they always create a cheaper version of these transmissions that has issues. The explorer ST guys blow up their 10 speeds with some frequency when modding (to be fair, they're often pushing a lot more power and there's definite learning curves with tuning to get power and not break transmissions).

We did have to get the software in the transmission updated by Ford like three times. The first one was supposed to fix the cam.phaser rattle. It did not and make the shifts weird and engine lug. The next update fixed both of those for a while and shifted well, with only the occasional hiccup. Then the cam.phasers started rattling again, so they actually swapped them out this time, and we got a new software version for the engine and trans. It seems fine so far, no stumbles or anything.

I will say... I think the ZF 8 speed is a better transmission. The tuning on it in the BMW is stunning, and I think ZF just understands how their transmission works better and assists automakers, whereas GM/Ford are kinda fumbling through it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fun story.

A few weeks/months after you posted this I startes to notice harsh shifts becoming more consistent. It started doing the delayed engagement stuff, the hard shifts out of Park, all kinds of stuff. Not as much on an on ramp, but putting around town as a family hauler, its been consistent.

Made an appt to get it looked at under warranty (getting close in terms of time and mileage). Service advisor basically told me my problems before I could tell her. I'm thinking we are getting a new/rebuilt transmission under warranty, lol. Seemed like they'd seen this many times before.

This after it was in for camshaft phaser replacement a few weeks ago, lol. Seems like both of these issues aren't like, catastrophic failure possibilities, but more like nuisances that could end up leading to premature failures if left unchecked. Good news is those are getting dealt with and we have a lifetime powertrain warranty on it too.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS That is Great news you are getting it taken care of.

keram75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In 2015, I bought brand new F-150, 6 speed transmission. In 2022, with 60K miles on odometer, I traded in for new F150. Yesterday got the call from dealer, transmission needs to go for rebuild. Only 18K miles on new truck. Problems started two months ago, with clunk, noise at the acceleration.