• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can't pry starter motor loose on port side ls2000

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ahh! There is so little space between the port side of the engine compartment and the starter motor. I even removed the 8 engine mount bolts to slide the engine over a little for a bit more space. I have gotten some iffy leverage on the top and bottom of the starter but it won't budge. Are there some extra secret bolts holding it on there. (I have the two 12mm bolts out of the aft end of the starter). Any tips?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps remove the starboard starter to get a better idea of how it comes off?

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I will definitely try that tomorrow. Thanks.

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ugh! I think I hate boats! I got *most* of the starter out after considerable prying. No idea how I'm going to remove the rest.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch. That must’ve been corrode/rusted in there. Probably going to have to pull the engine. Best of luck.

kuwona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Anyone have tips on how to get enough clearance to get at the broken off piece of starter. I am imagining trying to use or make some kind of puller. What would need to be disconnected to turn the engine sideways or to roll it on its side? How does it connect to the impeller? Here's picture showing a complete starter net to the one I broke.PXL_20220626_210005887.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to use a big screwdriver that i bent to install and remove door hinges in 68-92 corvettes.... you have to remove the stator cover to get to the bendix I agree though the port is tough to get at ... the 135s were relatively easy to work on insitu... with 160 MR-1's not so much

attachment - 2022-05-10T190930.631.jpgattachment - 2022-05-10T190942.032.jpgattachment - 2022-05-10T190959.240.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you have another issue the nose cone of the starter looks to be broken... it might be easier just to pop that sucker out and deal with it outside the boat