• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won’t start when hot

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have the mechanical controls? You can push the button on the center of the lever to accelerate in neutral. It should crank then.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have the mechanical controls? You can push the button on the center of the lever to accelerate in neutral. It should crank then.
No, it's an E-series...2020 242SE

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its an E series correct? so no cables all eletronic

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes it hard when there isn't any codes to set you in a direction.
If you have a multimeter check the resistance on the pickup coil at the plug. If you look down the rear of the engine, there is 5 wires coming out three are green and go to a round connector those are for charging. The other 2 wired one black and one white go to a flat connector. Unplug it and test the ohms value on the side that goes to the engine. This is what gives you spark timing. It should be between 450 and 560 ohms. Heat could be affecting it. Check cold then check when it wont start.
If its high, it will kill spark

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you verified if its losing spark of fuel?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you verified if its losing spark of fuel?
No I'm not sure at this point which it is....
Plugs seem to be sparking though. I pulled them out to check and when I cranked it I could hear them sparking

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get some brake cleaner with the straw attached, remove the small breather hose that goes to the rubber boot before the throttle body. Either give it a long squirt then try and start. Or the better way is to have someone crank while you spray in the hole. If it trys to fire or does fire for a second you have a fuel issue or lack of fuel issue

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What role would the rectifier play in this? Doesn't it just convert AC from engine to DC to battery for charging?
@Ronnie mentioned it in this reply. Looking back he had an MR1 engine so possibly not applicable. The larger point is to start with the easier points of verifying air, fuel, spark. Newer motors typically have more electronics that make it more difficult to sort through.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie mentioned it in this reply. Looking back he had an MR1 engine so possibly not applicable. The larger point is to start with the easier points of verifying air, fuel, spark. Newer motors typically have more electronics that make it more difficult to sort through.
Yeah I saw that but he said the rectifier failed. But I was just curious why that would affect it at all unless I am misunderstanding what the rectifier is for

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Start with the inexpensive stuff IMHO. One of my Waverunners became hard to start a few years ago, until finally it got us out to our destination but it wither would not start or stay running long enough to get us back to the ramp, had to get towed back. It ended up being a bad starting solenoid, $30 online at the start of the pandemic and an hour or so to remove the bad and install the new.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Start with the inexpensive stuff IMHO. One of my Waverunners became hard to start a few years ago, until finally it got us out to our destination but it wither would not start or stay running long enough to get us back to the ramp, had to get towed back. It ended up being a bad starting solenoid, $30 online at the start of the pandemic and an hour or so to remove the bad and install the new.
I'm trying.....just seems the inexpensive stuff isn't so simple. When something starts and runs fine cold but doesn't when it's hot, makes it really difficult to troubleshoot

73 vega

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having this exact same issue! Did you solve it? I replaced the ecu and cam sensor and that didn’t solve it. Yamaha can’t figure it out either. Pulling my hair out!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Having this exact same issue! Did you solve it? I replaced the ecu and cam sensor and that didn’t solve it. Yamaha can’t figure it out either. Pulling my hair out!
Nope I gave up and took it in. Waiting to have it looked at

motomark73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope I gave up and took it in. Waiting to have it looked at
Any chance you have an update? My starboard motor does same exact thing, fires up great when cold, but have to crank it for up to 5 seconds before it sputters to life on a hot start. Port starts up immediately regardless of hot or cold start.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any chance you have an update? My starboard motor does same exact thing, fires up great when cold, but have to crank it for up to 5 seconds before it sputters to life on a hot start. Port starts up immediately regardless of hot or cold start.
Not yet. Boat is in the shop right now. Also speaking with someone else on this forum who has the exact same issue and his has been escalated to Yamaha corp. No concrete diagnosis yet just a whole bunch of excluded items so far.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Crazy all the reports of this all of a sudden?

that’s at least 4 in the last month.
Same here with my 2016 242 - its manageable but never had this issue before with the engines stalling after running hot on a hot day.

motomark73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Re posting my comments here from another hot start thread....

Mine is worse when wake surfing also. My current theory is higher loads cause higher running temps exacerbating the situation. I found some related Yamaha ECM threads for outboards on The Hull Truth. I'm assuming their ECM control logic is at least similar. The basic premise is either a relay or sensor is beginning to fail short and drawing down the 5V signal for all ECM inputs, making it nearly impossible to troubleshoot. ECM will allow motor to keep running even as there is a "developing" issue as the heat induced parasitic loss in the bad component pulls the entire ECM 5V baseline down. When you shut motor down and try to hot start, the ECM is now below 5V; there may be more stringent controls in place that wont allow motor to start or possibly you just end up with a calculated fuel and spark timing based on bad system voltage that just won't support ignition. As motor cools, the failing component starts acting normally, the parasitic loss on the 5V baseline goes away or gets to a threshold where the calculated value falls into normal range as if you were back a 5V baseline and all control logic begins working again. Not sure if there is any merit to this, but it could explain why it is so hard to troubleshoot. The parasitic loss on 5V baseline could probably be any # of components or even a poor ground in a harness somewhere.

What makes it especially difficult is something like a relay that only exhibits the poor electrical condition when above xxx degrees... you can bench test the component when cold and it will measure normal for conductivity, resistance , etc so you never find anything.