• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fit and finish issues.

David Pierce

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2022 252SE was delivered to the dealer in early March. I picked it up April 15. When I got home I started a very detailed look at the boat. I have found a number of quality issues that are concerning. It started raining so I haven’t completed my detailed look, but thus far I have found issues with the following: carpeting inside the storage areas and inside the head area not properly fit and glued, there was a number of places where there was adhesive that was not cleaned up, two places where interior panel was not screwed down & loose. It almost seems like someone drilled a two large of a pilot hole. I’m wondering if because of Covid they had a lack of skilled workers and they were also rushing production. Has anyone else had any similar problems with their new 2022 boat?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2022 252SE was delivered to the dealer in early March. I picked it up April 15. When I got home I started a very detailed look at the boat. I have found a number of quality issues that are concerning. It started raining so I haven’t completed my detailed look, but thus far I have found issues with the following: carpeting inside the storage areas and inside the head area not properly fit and glued, there was a number of places where there was adhesive that was not cleaned up, two places where interior panel was not screwed down & loose. It almost seems like someone drilled a two large of a pilot hole. I’m wondering if because of Covid they had a lack of skilled workers and they were also rushing production. Has anyone else had any similar problems with their new 2022 boat?
People have had much worse and it began a couple years ago. Most fix their own things if they are minor, or have your dealer do it if they can get you in, but they could have your boat for quite a while depending on what it is.

Also, my boat is a pre Covid boat, manufactur date of 1/2020 so right before Covid Hit, and I still had defects everywhere and sloppy workmanship. Not though I have went over it and fixed everything so it is now perfect.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I mentioned your theory about having layed off / replaced workers and was promptly jumped on by some dick on a Facebook forum.
But yeah...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I try to steer clear of Facebook for that reason :)

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations on the new boat!

There's always something that someone missed. I had and still have a bone to pick with Shorlandr Trailer (wiring harness connectors rotted out - 6 months) but overall my boat was 95% tight and ready to go. A thorough inspection in the beginning noted a bulk head leak between the ski locker and the gas tank hold. Was just missing sealant in the joint, fixed it easy. Also found fiberglass debris blocking the bilge drain plugs and the little bilge pump gave up the ghost within a month.

Just go over the boat from stem to stern and when you have some down time (or make the time) do preventive maintenance. Take care of the boat and it'll take care of you.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just go over the boat from stem to stern and when you have some down time (or make the time) do preventive maintenance. Take care of the boat and it'll take care of you.
For sure. From my experience and what I've seen from others, there's usually a punch list of items the dealer (or owner) will need to take care of in that first year - or right after delivery (wrong windshield put on my boat from the factory among other issues, lol). If it's not critical, and can wait until end of season, just be sure to document it with the dealer (email to service at least) within that first year and it should be handled under the 1st year factory warranty, at least eventually. Mine had a gel coat crack that developed within the first few weeks in the transom area by the swim platform seats that wouldn't be covered under YES. But because I had multiple emails between me and the service folks at the dealer and had pics all from within the first year (as well as the issue documented on their end-of-1st-season work order) - when they finally fixed it a couple years later, it was still covered since there was written proof it was reported while the boat was under full factory warranty.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Picked up my 210 FSH today… noticed a few things the dealer corrected on the spot or is working on already, and now after being home noticed about 5 more that I will bring up during my 10 hr service… at this rate I’ll have quite the list by the time I take it in.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I had issues with my boat last year as well. I've learned just to deal with the cosmetic stuff myself. Dealer didn't have time unless I wanted to leave it for a month or so. The tow hook on my swim platform is all spider cracked in the gelcoat. Dealer told me Yamaha doesn't repair spider cracks. Considered normal manufacturing defects. FN Bull Dookie. I'll get it fixed at some point. You can tell it was overtightened, it's indented. It's gotten worse, this picture is a year old.

Attachments

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I picked my AR250 at the beginning of the month. I had to make a couple of adjustments but have been thrilled with the boat so far. I have noticed anytime you buy brand new stuff, you spend the first year fixing and adjusting things. Crappy but it’s the truth. I bought a brand new toyhauler in 2019 and it was a nightmare. Sold it and bought a brand new motorhome last June and it’s been either at the Ford dealership or Thor center more than my own shop. It’s currently at the Ford dealership as we speak for the 4th time this month alone.
As far as manufacturing goes, you hit the nail on the head. I work at a manufacturing plant (won’t say which) that builds the worlds most popular truck. They’re hiring temps to fill spots and they’re literally quitting faster than we can train them. The quality isn’t down bc we have checks and balances in place either by computer or a human and each truck is literally QC’d probably 12-15 times before it rolls off the line to be road tested and QC’d again.
hopefully you get it all worked out quickly and easily and you won’t even remember the small issues just the great memories.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I picked my AR250 at the beginning of the month. I had to make a couple of adjustments but have been thrilled with the boat so far. I have noticed anytime you buy brand new stuff, you spend the first year fixing and adjusting things. Crappy but it’s the truth. I bought a brand new toyhauler in 2019 and it was a nightmare. Sold it and bought a brand new motorhome last June and it’s been either at the Ford dealership or Thor center more than my own shop. It’s currently at the Ford dealership as we speak for the 4th time this month alone.
As far as manufacturing goes, you hit the nail on the head. I work at a manufacturing plant (won’t say which) that builds the worlds most popular truck. They’re hiring temps to fill spots and they’re literally quitting faster than we can train them. The quality isn’t down bc we have checks and balances in place either by computer or a human and each truck is literally QC’d probably 12-15 times before it rolls off the line to be road tested and QC’d again.
hopefully you get it all worked out quickly and easily and you won’t even remember the small issues just the great memories.
I have a good idea about the truck you are talking about. In CA, there are no trucks at the dealers. A lot of Cummins trucks though. Cummins makes their own ECM's, so maybe they don't have a chip shortage. If you do happen to find a truck you're interested in, expect to pay 15-20k over MSRP. FN crooks.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got a 22 252SE and I feel like the two captains chairs are loose and wiggly.....the tech at the dealer said its normal and the movement in the seats are within tolerances. My starboard side cleanout plug was also jammed in ( think cross threaded) and the dealer techs had to manhandle it out of there, luckily it didnt break. other than that everything seems to be pretty on point. the seat movement bugs me though

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just got a 22 252SE and I feel like the two captains chairs are loose and wiggly.....the tech at the dealer said its normal and the movement in the seats are within tolerances. My starboard side cleanout plug was also jammed in ( think cross threaded) and the dealer techs had to manhandle it out of there, luckily it didnt break. other than that everything seems to be pretty on point. the seat movement bugs me though
I agree 100% on the seats. I complained about mine as well. When I have the funds I’m going to swap out the pedestals. The seats are a bitch to release to swivel or slide I hate them. Congratulations on your new boat

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I unscrewed the pin on both my seats until a metal “slug” fell out. Now they swivel a lot easier.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Im in the same boat...LOL. Lots of nicks and scrapes I feel like should not be there. Stripped out screw holes, crooked stuff, but nothing I really cant fix in time myself. I love the boat and for the most part, the motors are very sound. I suspect the motors are wired and built in Japan and are are very well made, and bulletproof. The Boats are made in Tennessee and from what I have experienced the quality control is subpar. Im sure the pandemic had a large ammount to do with the quality over the past few years. Yamaha still has a great package for the price and if you go check out some other economy brands like bayliner, Tahoe etc.., you will appriciate your Yami! Covid has changed the playing field over the last few years and things will change. Enjoy your new boat, many people are waiting a long time to get one.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat was built right before COVID, still had a lot of the same issues. Ski locker door, loose bolts/screws (including a motor mount) missing bolts/screws, head unit hole on the swim deck to big. With the exception of a couple major items, I’ve found it easier to fix it myself. Yamaha has been great about accepting warranty issues, but with part shortages it takes months to get anything fixed. Remove the clean out tray after some use and check your bilge, it was pretty much clogged with all shavings and hardware, and resealing the hatch took care of water I was getting in the bilge, been bone dry after every outing since.

David Pierce

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this is the way it is with Yamaha boats this year. I had a number fit & finish issues that the dealer will of course fix. I think it’s a Covid related thing. Probably short on people especially those QA people. I still love my new boat. Such an improvement over my 2006 SX 230. But I don’t remember any f&f issues with it.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have had my boat since April and have had to bring it back for a number of small issues that I feel should have been caught. What I didn't expect is some of the more major issues. So far I have had no problems with Yamaha approving the claims but its a little ridiculous. The first major issue was the engine shutting off in rough water. It was due to a warped clean out hatch door which they replaced. I later noticed my helm seat / door was not even and rubbing the fiberglass raw on one side when it was closed. Turns out the whole door is warped from the factory and has to be replaced. I also have a bubble in the gel coat that needs to be repaired as well on the upper gunnel.

Martin Reagan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New 2023 222XD 85,000 boat with holes in the gel coat this is my 3rd Yamaha boat never had so many gel coat quality issues
my 2014 AR240 no issues perfect that was 45,000 come on Yamaha it’s a Japanese company get back to quality