• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Cap, Chain, etc.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had a run in with a passenger ferry's giant wake and a fuel dock. Long story short, I need a new gas cap, gasket chain, etc. Does anyone know the part number for the chain? I think I have the cap and the gasket in my cart but can't figure out the chain.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@davel501, I just replaced my gas cap and it didn't come with a chai either. Actually, from what I heard is that when the chain breaks there is a chance some of the beads could go into the gas tank and get sucked into the fuel pump. The chain is flimsy and other than the one time I decided to fuel up at a marina when it broke, I usually fuel up a gas stations and really don't need it anyway.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@davel501, I just replaced my gas cap and it didn't come with a chai either. Actually, from what I heard is that when the chain breaks there is a chance some of the beads could go into the gas tank and get sucked into the fuel pump. The chain is flimsy and other than the one time I decided to fuel up at a marina when it broke, I usually fuel up a gas stations and really don't need it anyway.
Now I have to go count the links in my chain and write it down, just in case it breaks so I'll know if its all there.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Surely there is a screen on the fuel pump intake, right? I can't imagine the fuel injection lasting long if there wasn't

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Big Shasta, not 100% on that. I can't remember if it was this site or the other, but I recall someone mentioning this. It would seem obvious a screen would be there, but what is the likelihood of something that small getting to the fuel tank in the first place?

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"FYI on gas caps with chains... I've heard this happen twice now (particularly with new owners of boats with gas caps that have chains on them) where you'll pull the gas cap off and it will snap the chain off both ends and fall down the fuel line. A boat I sold to someone a while back had a chain on the gas cap and after it was sold they called me asking if I had ever had problems with the fuel pump (to which I said yes it had been replaced) and then they found out there were two beads of the chain that had broken off and fell down the tank and plugged up the fuel intake from the tank to the filter.

So I don't like the gas cap chains, they suck. Instead - how hard would it be to put a hinged cover on? This is what my boat has, the gas cap acts like hinged cover with a push button release system. Also seals up really nice."

This was posted originally in another thread about how low is low fuel in our boats.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How difficult would it be to remove the chain from the inside altogether? I never fill up on the water...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do fill it up on the water. The chain on mine broke and the gas cap fell into the water. I was so surprised when it floated! I decided to not put the chain back on since it was always a pain to put the cap back on anyway! I much prefer the cap with no chain.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I do fill it up on the water. The chain on mine broke and the gas cap fell into the water. I was so surprised when it floated! I decided to not put the chain back on since it was always a pain to put the cap back on anyway! I much prefer the cap with no chain.
I need to do a test on mine to see if it's floats...I always heard they sink.

@pagekl I was just speculating, it just seems weird that something as big as one of those balls could get in the pump since much smaller debris would cause fuel system issues....like a small piece of grass or a bug....doesn't take much to clog an injector and I thought the intake on the pumps was the only real fuel filter we have. I think it's pretty likely that occasionally something is going to get in your tank. Maybe from a gas can that you use to fuel the boat (I do it all the time when my boat is on the lift, much cheaper fuel). there has to be some protection from it.

I Can't find a good picture of the fuel pump from my boat anywhere. I guess I'll just have to worry about the chain from now on. Especially if I find out my cap sinks.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was night so the black cap may have floated away before anyone noticed, I just assumed it sunk because it was nowhere to be seen. On a related note, I bought an extra gas cap and gasket to store in the boat just in case something like this happens again. I will have an extra boat, extra lanyard and maybe even hide a pair of keys on board to avoid losing any more precious weekends.

I have always liked the chain so I am trying to get it back on. I did look at the new models with the flip cap but could not find any dimensions on hoses, etc. so I just went with parts for the 2010. I think the flip top one might have been ripped off too as the act of ripping of the fuel cap left some nice marks in the gel coat.

The fuel pumps do have screens on the bottom and you are supposed to pull the pumps yearly and clean the screens by swishing the pump assembly in gasoline. I doubt this service has ever been done on my boat but maybe I will pull the pump assembly to check the tank.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkluck, guess the name says it all, because you had luck on your side. When my chain broke the cap dropped straight to the bottom of the river. I didn't even have time to react. Ordered a new one from 2 wheel pros for about ten bucks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you still want the stock chain consider calling yamaha sports plaza and ask them to visually verify if any of the parts come with the chain, they should be able to tell you the part number if it is sold individually like the gasket for the cap is or used to be.

I'm pretty sure the newer 242s have a hinged cap, someone look oped into it and the cost is about $75, installation will involve some work in the battery compartment where the through hull fitting is.

I didn't realize that the stock plastic cap floated either, I'm sure the aftermarket metal one I got will not float.

I'm constantly messing with the chain after fueling as it always gets in the way when I put the cap back on.

If Yamaha is reading, please consider going with a hinged and locking cap on future models.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think they did. Mine has the hinged one; I think all my model year did (when I was looking to buy). I love it. Nothing to lose or drop. My kinda setup.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
WP_20140905_002.jpg WP_20140905_001.jpg So here is the lowdown. The gas caps ship with the gasket so I have 2 extras now since I wanted an extra gas cap. The chain is in the filler neck so all you need is the filler neck, the cap and the screw.