• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Tank Not Filling AR250

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bdeveran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
So problem solved!!! Carbon Canister was completely blocked. Removed it and used a rubber mallet to break up the sludge and then air compressor blew it out…. Look at what came out… it was like black clay. (Pics attached) Mixture of water and fuel - not sure how it did it but over winter it must have gotten logged.

cleaned it out…put it back together and took her to the gas docks and filled up 35 gallons like a champ as fast as it would pump.

Having the same issue. Where is this canister located?

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove the front panel in the step down head area (the panel where the light is). Four screws and it will come right off - as soon as you remove it you cannot miss the canister. It is the black cylinder (its about 12 inches long or so) in line from the gas tank vent hose. two screws to unmount it and then just remove the spring hose clips and you will have it clear. I took that out and beat the snot out of it with a rubber mallet and then blew compressed air in one side - be careful because the the black junk will make a big mess... I did that until nothing more would blow out except air.... put it back in place and no more issues. Just make sure you put it back in the right orientation - I marked the up with an arrow prior to my removal just in case.

No issues since - you can just replace it as well cost was like $275 for the part - but its not needed for anything.

bdeveran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Remove the front panel in the step down head area (the panel where the light is). Four screws and it will come right off - as soon as you remove it you cannot miss the canister. It is the black cylinder (its about 12 inches long or so) in line from the gas tank vent hose. two screws to unmount it and then just remove the spring hose clips and you will have it clear. I took that out and beat the snot out of it with a rubber mallet and then blew compressed air in one side - be careful because the the black junk will make a big mess... I did that until nothing more would blow out except air.... put it back in place and no more issues. Just make sure you put it back in the right orientation - I marked the up with an arrow prior to my removal just in case.

No issues since - you can just replace it as well cost was like $275 for the part - but its not needed for anything.
Thanks. I did locate it and blew it out. It was clogged… so I had to bang it a bit. But I just filled up for the winter and it worked fine!
Thank you!!!!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks. I did locate it and blew it out. It was clogged… so I had to bang it a bit. But I just filled up for the winter and it worked fine!
Thank you!!!!
Glad to see you got your fuel fill issue resolved. Is your charcoal canister the same style that lakeside law has?

I wonder what causes the canister to get flooded with fuel….location of the canister E.G. Not high enough above the fuel tank, or perhaps over filling the gas tank?

bdeveran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Glad to see you got your fuel fill issue resolved. Is your charcoal canister the same style that lakeside law has?

I wonder what causes the canister to get flooded with fuel….location of the canister E.G. Not high enough above the fuel tank, or perhaps over filling the gas tank?
It is the same canister. Just a flimsy plastic cylinder with charcoal in it. When I blew mine out it didn’t have sludge in it.

When I first attempted to blow in air with the compressor the cylinder expanded and nearly burst its seams. So it was 100% clogged. I banged it (cylinder) around the side and heard it loosen up to where it sounded like a rattle a bit.
Then when I attached the compressor a bunch of black powder and some carbon pellets came out (as well as a few round metal bbs).

I’d say about 5% of the contents came out and the air began to flow freely. Not sure how the inside of the cylinder is designed. I would think that it isn’t just filled with carbon with no barrier… or screen holding it together.
Not sure what caused it to clog up (I didn’t see any moisture).

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on…. The one in my boat is a different design. I had meant to pull mine out and check it, my tank fills but I have to go kinda slowly or the pump handle will trip. Seeing your post made me think of it again.

Again, glad to see you got it sorted.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Strange question with my lack of knowledge of these, but do you need to "repack" the canister. I would assume if it had something in it and it blows out or hardens, do you need to refill it? I'm thinking this could be a good winter PM for the following year....

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Strange question with my lack of knowledge of these, but do you need to "repack" the canister. I would assume if it had something in it and it blows out or hardens, do you need to refill it? I'm thinking this could be a good winter PM for the following year....
The canister is your basic charcoal canister that helps to capture gasoline vapors before they reach the atmosphere. Gasoline vapors are photo reactive and are a contributor to smog. As far as I know they cannot be repacked only replaced.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just did this over the weekend it wasn’t as clogged as some here, did HIT IT WITH A MALLET A FEW TIMES AND BLEW IT WITH THE COMPRESSOR HEAYBDUST CAME Out but this time I was able to fill the boat to 98% vs 85% which was was I was getting before.