• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone installed trim tabs on their Sugar Sand boat?

db199

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I have a 2001 Sugar Sand Mirage SS with the sport jet 175 xr. I am considering installing trim tabs, mainly to help with porpoising. The boat performs pretty great otherwise so I'm not sure if it will benefit me in other ways as well. I am wondering if anyone with a Sugar Sand has installed them and what you thought of the performance afterward. Also, one of the great things about the boat is that it has sort of a flat bottom so it is fun to spin and slide it around on the water. Would adding trim tabs be an issue with doing those types of maneuvers? Any advice or help is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mbolzies

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2000 Sugar Sand Heat has trim tabs installed. You’ll likely notice a difference in spin type maneuvering, but it shouldn’t outright prevent it. Getting them adjusted/dialed in to help with the porpoising is going to be the trick.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
They are a must have, don't know why they didn't come pre-installed.
I put them on my Tango and boating instantly improved. No more porpoising. I installed the less expensive self adjusting type.

drdcardetailing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
They are a must have, don't know why they didn't come pre-installed.
I put them on my Tango and boating instantly improved. No more porpoising. I installed the less expensive self adjusting type.
What did you use to seal the holes I think I want to get them installed self leveling, and for a little more than $100 seems like a no Brainer. Im just nervous about drilling and future leaking issues

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Before going all in on a trim tab system, I would strongly advise checking a product from Place Diverters.
They can be found here:

At the time I was looking for a solution, he was all out of stock, but he has replenished stock now and has them up for sale again.
Other members have purchased the system and are very happy with the product.
Added benefit of not having any additional holes drilled into your nice watertight transom!

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the Place Diverter trim tab and it worked great, a must have. Be careful how you install it though, mine was relatively low and I flooded it after too many sub moves.

drdcardetailing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I had the Place Diverter trim tab and it worked great, a must have. Be careful how you install it though, mine was relatively low and I flooded it after too many sub moves.
I was trying to avoid having to add on any extra wiring but seems like I’m either going to do that or drill holes into the hull. How big of a difference did it make getting into plane? And going over boat wakes? ( the jumping over part) does it help
Keep it in the water ? Do you mean you had the trim set too low ? That’s mine concern I don’t want to have more issues especially the cost

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't need a trim tab to help get the Tango on plane, it is so quick it should plane in a few seconds stock. The trim tab will help but definitely isn't needed.

The trim tab is a massive improvement in running through any kind of waves or chop, since the boat is so light.

I would try to avoid installing the trim control unit (small hydraulic reservoir) low in the boat where it can be flooded by water. I flooded my control unit repeatedly doing sub moves and eventually the unit failed (understandably). Any kind of trim system is going to require electrical and holes in the hull. It looks like the Place system reuses existing connections for the plate and piston install, so you only need a couple small holes above the water line for the hydraulic lines.

drdcardetailing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
You don't need a trim tab to help get the Tango on plane, it is so quick it should plane in a few seconds stock. The trim tab will help but definitely isn't needed.

The trim tab is a massive improvement in running through any kind of waves or chop, since the boat is so light.

I would try to avoid installing the trim control unit (small hydraulic reservoir) low in the boat where it can be flooded by water. I flooded my control unit repeatedly doing sub moves and eventually the unit failed (understandably). Any kind of trim system is going to require electrical and holes in the hull. It looks like the Place system reuses existing connections for the plate and piston install, so you only need a couple small holes above the water line for the hydraulic lines.

Yes usually if I hit it to 4K so it can plane out very quickly, but sometimes I just want to cruise at lower speed but it seems like going under 3k or so brings it back into porpoising. Feel like I always have to stay on it or come off throttle completely 2k or under

db199

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Would you say that the place diverter has any effect on doing spins and other tight maneuvering? That is my main concern. I would rather live with porpoising than lose any of the fun factor of driving these boats like a maniac.