• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP: Engine won't start

Thib2c

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
NA
Hello everybody,

I own a Yamaha 242 Limited S since a couple months; the boat is relatively new. Technicians came for a révisions a week ago and now the boat won't start. It is memorial weekend and no one can come to assist me... so quick recap of the situation:
- the battery seems fine as lights show, I can put music on and the blower turns on.
- the engine doesn't make a sound when I turn te key so I'm guessing that it comes from there.

Can it be the fuses? If so, which one is connected to the engines?

Thank you for your help,

Thibault

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the rear clean out hatch make sure it is securely closed, then check and play with the kill lanyard by the throttles make sure it is securely in and lastly double check the boat is in neutral. If you have a two battery set up make sure the starting battery is on as well.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Make sure the throttles are in neutral as well. Double check the battery connections to make sure the starter leads are hooked up and on.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On top of what is mentioned above, do you have a Perko battery switch? Make sure that's on. I can still run my music and blowers with mine in the Off position, but my engines won't crank until I move the switch.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On those deck hatch switches. I had to raise mine when I got the boat. The hatch would fully close but not completely depress the switches. Adjusting was simple by turning the two nuts, one on the top of the switch and one under.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you determine its the rear deck safety switch that's not being depressed enough when the hatch is closed, a short term fix to get you through the weekend and until you can get down there to adjust the switch is to duck tape a quarter to the underside of the hatch. Sometimes that thickness is enough to do the trick

Kevin C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My case I had no current to the starter solenoid. It turned out to be 2 30 amp green mini fuses. I was down for 20 days but we are running again!

PetYam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check the rear clean out hatch make sure it is securely closed, then check and play with the kill lanyard by the throttles make sure it is securely in and lastly double check the boat is in neutral. If you have a two battery set up make sure the starting battery is on as well.

PetYam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your response was a life saver! Thank You

blackonblack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I came here for help as my boat ran fine getting me here but then wouldn’t start as a strong line of thunderstorms was approaching…

I happened to be cleaning and had a clear cover over the key on the starboard wall below the throttle quadrant that was from when the boat was delivered new. I tore it off so I could see the shiny face of the 2x5 key panel and the safety lanyard popped off without me noticing.

it took a couple minutes but I’ll beat the storms back to the marina!

BinbrookJake

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Make sure the throttles are in neutral as well. Double check the battery connections to make sure the starter leads are hooked up and on.
Throttle not being in neutral cost me a tow once (thankfully from my uncle) and the kill switch being depressed too far stopped mine from starting once. I give it a wiggle each time I start now to ensure the spring is okay.