• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you keep your ski locker open,

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It looks like he's giving more than usual effort to open, so that leads me to believe that they intended to make them hinges that tight to keep the door open. On top of that it looks like he pushes the door down, which is how mine was but it was pulling the hinge screws out. After I took the hinge off I could barley close it with my hands so I tried to loosen it but it broke.View attachment 171890
Other friction hinges have that copper or bronze or what ever that grooved washer is as well

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That bolt just sheered off?
Yep, 2 Allen wrenches 1 on each side and alittle bit of torque. I thought I could loosen the tension but it broke instead. Now it's just a regular hinge.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Yep, 2 Allen wrenches 1 on each side and alittle bit of torque. I thought I could loosen the tension but it broke instead. Now it's just a regular hinge.
Welp

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I have the same problem the ski storage lid does not stay open. tHe dealer told me the hinges were suppose to hold the lid open so they are ordering me new hinges. For now I have a bungee cord attached to the lock Screw on the lid and the other end to the window support Bracket. Works great.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
2022 252SD doesn't stay open. My left clavicle can attest to the raw fiberglass edge.

Paul Early

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have a new 252SE and the locker doesn’t stay open for me either. Hoping someone comes up with a creative solution for this.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
use the bungee cord , works great and safe, yamaha said the hinges suppose to hold it open BS it
came down on me and scraped my arm... Contact Yamaha and complain this is a SAFETY issue.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They don't have struts any longer? That would suck. So you can be digging around in there and it fall on you or someone's foot, etc in a new boat?

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Yes Yamaha got cheap, and this is now a safety issue ,, my other yamaha boats had a piston to hold it open,,

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes Yamaha got cheap, and this is now a safety issue ,, my other yamaha boats had a piston to hold it open,,
No doubt it's a safety issue. Could conveivably chop a toe or finger off a child or adult under the right circumstance.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Just reopening this thread to see if anyone has tried to install a gas strut for the ski locker door on a newer 25' or 27'?

I'd surprised if someone hasn't sustained an injury yet. The ski locker door on my 275SD is definitely and accident waiting to happen. A temporary solution like a bungee or rod is not going to help if the door slips out of your hand and slams shut.

I'm going to have to take a closer look and see if I will be able to install a gas strut if no one has done it yet.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Just wondering how do you keep your ski locker open. I've heard some on here(not this particular model) have hydraulic arms. What I've been using is a 15" peice of plastic pex pipe to prop it open if not it just slams shut. Just seems like I'm missing some thing.
I also had the same problem, it did come down on my hand it was black and blue for a while. I have a 252S and the dealer had to replace the hinges now it does stay up.. Much better but I still don’t trust it 100%

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I also had the same problem, it did come down on my hand it was black and blue for a while. I have a 252S and the dealer had to replace the hinges now it does stay up.. Much better but I still don’t trust it 100%
Thanks! I’m wondering if I’m supposed to have the hinges too. The schematics on Partilla shows the MSRP to be $100 for each hinge so I’m guessing they are the “special” hinges.

I’m hoping YES covers it. Just had it in for the 10-hr service so I can ask them about itwhen I schedule the 50-hr service.

I still think a gas strut is the right solution. If YES won’t cover it, I may look at seeing I could install one easily enough.

anjboyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ski lockers on the 25' have friction hinges. Mine work fine. Do a warranty claim if yours does not stay open. No need to add a strut.