• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low RPM in water--RPM good when flushing!?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2002 LX 2000, 2-stroke, that I started having problems with one engine yesterday. Suddenly I noticed that I couldn't get the starboard engine over 3000 RPM and it was running badly. However, when I got back to my dock I couldn't find any trash after pulling the clean-out plugs and when I hooked it up to a hose to flush it out it ran perfectly.

I took it out this morning to try the "reverse" trick to clear out any trash but it didn't help; also, I used my laser thermometer to see if this engine was any hotter than the "good" one, but they were basically the same temperature.

Does anyone know why the engine would run so rough when in the water but so good when flushing it out?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like a load vs. no load scenario. Have you tried changing out the plugs?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a load vs. no load scenario. Have you tried changing out the plugs?
@davel501 Well, that's what it was! I switched the plugs and then the "bad" engine worked fine and the "good" engine started sputtering. I changed the bad plugs with some new ones and took her out for a ride and both engines were running great. Thanks a lot for the help...:winkingthumbsup"

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Similar issue full rpm on land only 3000 on water. Changed plunges and the same issue. my low oil light is flickering on fuel gauge can the circuit have any thing to do with rpm reduction. Our an ignition issue?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Similar issue full rpm on land only 3000 on water. Changed plunges and the same issue. my low oil light is flickering on fuel gauge can the circuit have any thing to do with rpm reduction. Our an ignition issue?
You need to figure out that oil light before you run it more. If oil is full and the right color and consistency then work your way back from the engine squeezing the connectors together.

These plugs are amazing if you have a tank full of bad gas but that won't help today https://rivaracing.com/brisk-multi-spark-plug-yamaha-18l-engines-er14zs.html. That very back plug on the engine tends to get the worst of it on my boat. Some carb cleaner may bring it back enough to tell you if it's fouling plugs.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Found an oil line disc from pump for aft cylinder oil issue solved. Good thing is aft cyl and mid cylinder not firing So no cylinder and ring damage I hope. Any way to ck coil packs for an open circuit.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Should I go into the box and look for corroded or oxidized connections?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Should I go into the box and look for corroded or oxidized connections?
Based upon what you've found, my next step would be a compression test. You can probably pick up a cheap compression testing set at Harbor Freight if you need one.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Eng passed a compression test 110 psi each cyl seams like very weak spark at plugs when turning over Eng.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does it run in the water now?

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Still only 3000 rpm full throttle middle and aft plugs clean no burn like the fwd plug

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I’m going to ck fuel impulse pump vacuum lines see if fouled our kinked

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Looks like the Eng may have a leaking head gasket powder deposits in intake housing

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Found cyl 2 and 3 coil wires burned on the inside at plug boot causing very low our no spark. Runs like almost new again after coils replaced.