• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New '22 252SE Owner - any tips/advice?

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just picked up a new 2022 252SE this weekend and went on the maiden voyage. Came from a 2017 AR195 and after 5 years we decided it was time to upgrade. So far we love the 252SE and I am trying to make sure I learn about all of the new features and gadgets. The ride is soooo much better than our 195, especially going through chop and wake. It was somewhat windy this weekend and I did notice that I really had to turn the wheel to keep the boat straight. So much that I checked to see if one of the motors had gummed up with sea grass, but it wasn't the case.

With this boat being that much heavier and having way more area for the wind to catch do you notice that you have to really adjust the steering for it to track straight?

Any other tips from 252 owners that they have learned over the years?

Is there a way to adjust the subwoofer? I know there are no options on the connect screen?

has anyone added a flag pole holder?

what are some common must do upgrades? bow roller? cup holder LEDS?

I like how it has the two ACC buttons, what have some other owners wired to those?

thanks!281406412_10101429171600637_3713951310062031879_n.jpg

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Congrats! Beautiful boat. I’m waiting on a yacht blue 252se. Will be following to see what advice you get.

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just picked up a new 2022 252SE this weekend and went on the maiden voyage. Came from a 2017 AR195 and after 5 years we decided it was time to upgrade. So far we love the 252SE and I am trying to make sure I learn about all of the new features and gadgets. The ride is soooo much better than our 195, especially going through chop and wake. It was somewhat windy this weekend and I did notice that I really had to turn the wheel to keep the boat straight. So much that I checked to see if one of the motors had gummed up with sea grass, but it wasn't the case.

Great boat! Congrats!

With this boat being that much heavier and having way more area for the wind to catch do you notice that you have to really adjust the steering for it to track straight?

Yes, I have noticed this at times when the wind and current were strong.

It's my second season and it's been great! I had her out for the first time this season this past Sunday.

Is there a way to adjust the subwoofer? I know there are no options on the connect screen?

Yes, you can adjust the sub as it has it's own zone for volume.

Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081K8N3FN/?coliid=ITYWMZZYF0DSB&colid=3MEHT1X7MZJ25&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Check out Jetboat Pilot.com for the bow roller.

I like how it has the two ACC buttons, what have some other owners wired to those?

Not sure but they are usable for added accessories.

thanks!View attachment 178733

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Tip 1- Enjoy it. It is a boat and won't ever be perfect.
Tip 2- Whatever you do don't (10$ to see the rest of the tip)!

3abadi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Tip 1- Enjoy it. It is a boat and won't ever be perfect.
Tip 2- Whatever you do don't (10$ to see the rest of the tip)!
Tip 2 would be, Whatever you do don’t skip Tip 1 ;)

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We're starting our 2nd season with an SX190 and are already considering this exact upgrade. Great to hear your feedback about the ride, especially in chop. That's probably the biggest reason we're considering the upgrade.

Tagging to see the responses you get.

Last edited:

Eriejetboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes, bow roller is a must, especially if you will be storing on trailer.

you can modify the subwoofer volume in comparison to other speakers by adjusting its level in the software - it has it’s own zone.

Consider an on-board battery charger

this boat does a great job in chop, but due to its height when running it also catches a fair amount of wind. Therefore, significant and frequent steering input is sometimes needed.

watch out for water coming into the boat from the anchor locker drain. There is a whole thread on options to address it.… I just plugged mine.

Other than that - enjoy it! They are great boats. Just hit 47 hrs on my 2021.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
1. Tighten the clean out port hatch knobs. If they are loose, when you hit a big wave the hatch will lift and trigger the safety button - shutting the engines off.
2. Using the clean out ports it’s a pretty regular task, unless you were in water without debris. However if you own a JetBoat you are not new to this. Overheating alert is almost always a clogged impeller.
3. The accessories buttons are attached to positive leads all the way up against the gunnel not behind the helm (that would be too easy).
60CEDF7E-D7D0-484B-A161-F1F3B5438FCA.jpeg

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you all for the info. has anyone installed the rear transom led lights?

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Oh someone else may have said it already, but I feel like these boats are also very susceptible to weight distribution. I’ve noticed an adult sitting on the wrong side of the boat can make a big difference in handling. Because the SE has the shower, assuming you fill it that’s a lot of weight on one side. Just something to be cognizant of if your handling seems a bit uneven or you’re having to correct a lot with steering, getting the weight distributed evenly helped a lot. This is probably true for most boats.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
thank you all for the info. has anyone installed the rear transom led lights?
Yeah there are a few forums on this, one thing I noticed is almost everyone says they ended up using it once or twice a year if that, because the reality is we just don’t boat every day at night. Therefore, the drain plug light may be the best option so you don’t have to put holes in the hull. If you do go that route, I’ve noticed several forums mentioned the drain plug does not usually match the light options that are available, so you have to find an adapter and make some modifications so it fits snugly.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah there are a few forums on this, one thing I noticed is almost everyone says they ended up using it once or twice a year if that, because the reality is we just don’t boat every day at night. Therefore, the drain plug light may be the best option so you don’t have to put holes in the hull. If you do go that route, I’ve noticed several forums mentioned the drain plug does not usually match the light options that are available, so you have to find an adapter and make some modifications so it fits snugly.

I hear ya. I did the drain plug lights on my 17 AR 195 and used them twice in 5 years.....I also felt that they were kind of cheap and didnt really like them so took them out. I have had my 252SE for a few months and have already been out at night twice. My boys are older now and our local boat ramp is open all hours and there is a restaurant we frequent by boat that has their dock available until 11PM. The gulf waters are also so nice and flat at night and my wife is obsessed with the sunset so I predict we will be night boating much more, so wanted some nice properly installed transom lights. I also feel much more comfortable out at night with the nav system and better lights compared to my old 195

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I hear ya. I did the drain plug lights on my 17 AR 195 and used them twice in 5 years.....I also felt that they were kind of cheap and didnt really like them so took them out. I have had my 252SE for a few months and have already been out at night twice. My boys are older now and our local boat ramp is open all hours and there is a restaurant we frequent by boat that has their dock available until 11PM. The gulf waters are also so nice and flat at night and my wife is obsessed with the sunset so I predict we will be night boating much more, so wanted some nice properly installed transom lights. I also feel much more comfortable out at night with the nav system and better lights compared to my old 195
For sure, I was really impressed with how bright the courtesy lights, helm lights, tower lights, NAV lights, docking lights all were.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just had my 10 hour service, they forgot to reset the "wellness hours" I was able to reset the Port service hours but hit the button several times an Starboard won't reset. anyone else have this odd issue?

jfs1179

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just had my 10 hour service, they forgot to reset the "wellness hours" I was able to reset the Port service hours but hit the button several times an Starboard won't reset. anyone else have this odd issue?
I have this same issue. I've tried resetting it during flushing and while out on the water, neither works. Hopefully someone else has figured out the trick to get it reset.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Oh someone else may have said it already, but I feel like these boats are also very susceptible to weight distribution. I’ve noticed an adult sitting on the wrong side of the boat can make a big difference in handling. Because the SE has the shower, assuming you fill it that’s a lot of weight on one side. Just something to be cognizant of if your handling seems a bit uneven or you’re having to correct a lot with steering, getting the weight distributed evenly helped a lot. This is probably true for most boats.
The batteries are on the passenger side you counter act that wiyh filling up yhe shower.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

thanks!View attachment 178733
Best flag holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BCKP7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
also consider a better trailer jack discussed in earlier threads. I installed a third battery and this charger to keep them up:
If you are going in and out of salt water the Shorelander wiring connectors won't last 6 months! Hard wire them with waterproof shrink solder sleeves.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Some other things I was thinking about that you might’ve discovered already, I ended up plugging a couple of the cupholders that basically just fed a hose and were landing on the carpet in the compartments instead of into the bilge. At minimum, tighten the hose clips several are loose. You may have seen my other post regarding the trailer jack, complete junk, probably want to upgrade that ASAP. Lastly, going through any really heavy waves I found the optimum speed to keep the bow as high as possible is around 13-18MPH. You can go faster of course in moderate chop, but I am talking when the waves get a little nerve-racking, like inlets, when I do that speed, I never take any water over the bow or anything. Any faster and I start to level out and come a lot closer to stuffing the bow. Hope this helps!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Best flag holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BCKP7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
also consider a better trailer jack discussed in earlier threads. I installed a third battery and this charger to keep them up:
If you are going in and out of salt water the Shorelander wiring connectors won't last 6 months! Hard wire them with waterproof shrink solder sleeves.
???? i my first shorelander 5 years no issues, 2nd shorelander 1.5 years no issues, 3rd shorelander so far 1.6 years no issues, ilive in Fl and never an issue so maybe the issue was your unit but, not on either 3 of mine 2007 2019 and 2021

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree the jack on my trailer is already starting to look like the weight of the boat is too much for it...