• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New not-so-tow rig

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After much debating and researching and seemingly endless "what ifs", I finally bought a new ride. It's not technically a tow vehicle, because it doesn't have a tow hitch yet. I'll probably get one for it though, but not a super high priority, and honestly it's a huge pain in the ass because the tow hitch replaces the rear crash bar.

I ended up getting a CPO BMW X5 M50i. This particular one was loaded up to the tune of $100k new, and I paid nowhere near that 2 years later, so thanks whatever more money than brains person hooked that up. It's pretty tremendous, rated at 520hp (but dynos say it puts that much to the wheels), massaging seats (much better than the ones my f150 platinum had), laser headlights, the sort suspension thing with rear wheel steering and active roll bars, a $3500 stereo upgrade... It's amazing.

After a few days of driving it, in love. It's replacingy TBSS, and it's truly like the same vehicle, just done better. Virtually the same size, but slightly more spacious. A docile family hauler, but also a rip your face off performance machine. A comfortable ride, but also tows 7000 lbs. Makes nice V8 noises, but has a great stereo too. It's honestly a little weird how similar they stack up, with the BMW just being newer and nicer in every way. The TBSS does those things, but the BMW does it better. For two vehicles that share no common DNA, they're like the same thing. They're basically two companies trying to build the same.car at different times and price points, but having the same goal.

Even funnier still, mine look very much the same. I thought the X5 was gonna have blue calipers, but was pleasantly surprised when i saw they were red... So black with black wheels and red calipers... Like my TBSS, lol.

I will eventually be selling the TBSS. I'm going to miss it a ton and regret it, and frankly, I don't want to lol. I don't intend to price it aggressively, I don't NEED the money, and I might just put it on a collectoncar policy or something. If I got rid of it cheap I'd kick myself forever. I'm thinking if I get a good price from someone who appreciates it as much as I do, that's who I will sell it to. If they don't come around, the wife will just have to be mad that I haven't sold it, lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was actually the one I was looking at. Somewhere around page 50(slightly exaggerating) it has you replace the crash bar (they call it a rear support bar) with the hitch.

We have the expedition for tow needs, but it'd be nice to be able to hook up a small trailer for home Depot and the like.