• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil leaking in engine compartment

bluejay1977

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thanks for following along 4x 15mph. I will try and order the gaskets tomorrow. Most liquid gaskets arent recommended for exposure to gas, so I'm thinking I should avoid it around the carbs anyways. Good news though, while I was at it, I did an engine compression test and fell within 110 - 115 on all cylinders :) I was happy to see that. Once I replace the gaskets, I'll let you all know if it fixed the leak.
Thanks again guys.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wait, I guess I am confused as to where you are missing a gasket that you would be getting oil out of. The intake and the flame arrestor shouldn't be getting real oily or anything.
Pics tell a thousand words of course and I am running off of memory.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oil injection hoses attach to the flame arrestor and that is where the oil feeds from down into the carb throats. If that arrestor body is not attached tight to the metal bracket with a good gasket seal, you can get some oil to spit out. Ask me how I know - haha. I don't know that this is the problem but if there isnt any gasket, I would recommend that they be put on. I also recommend following the torque specs when reassembling and using the blue loc-tite. That cover vibrates with the engine

bluejay1977

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hi Speedling. Thanks for your reply. 4x 15mph is absolutely correct. I think that without the gasket, the oil is leaking out when the boat isn't on plain and tilted back; thats why the oil is in the first channel. I don't know yet 100% if the missing gasket is the problem but hopefully I can find one today, run it on the weekend and let you guys know if that was the issue.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, so you are talking lower than I was thinking. I thought you guys were talking about just taking the top off.

Alway check those lines btw. Even if you have upgraded. I got my first boat really cheap due to that! Have a piston sitting on my desk as a reminder.

bluejay1977

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hey Speedling; Im not sure where to check the oil lines (?) it looks like the ones at the oil pumps have been upgraded, but at the injectors (where it shoots into the carbs on the cover) there is still cable ties. Also, there are some cable ties at the oil filter joins. Where do these things let go when they do?
P.S. Guys, I finished replacing the Gasket today; had to buy a roll of gasket cork and make my own (otherwise I would have been waiting a week for the dealer to get one in)
Its gonna rain this weekend - but Ill have to take 'er for a boot anyways to see if its fixed.
Cheers!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Change out the oil lines where they meet the coves ASAP. I think the oil filter joins are less of the priority as long as they have slack, are tight, and the lines are not drying out (i.e. getting brittle). Check your oil lines before every outing

Great news on getting some gaskets installed. I think it was necessary but without that gasket I would expect more of an oil splatter versus the pool that you have in the back area. I didn't mean to say that this was the cause of your leak but something that you should correct.