• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speakers not working

Robert Stempien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am having issues with my (4) Wetsound speakers not working in my 2014 Scarab 195 HO. The radio tuner will turn on but the speakers won't. The sound system worked fine last year but the problem occurred when the boat was taken out of winter storage. The radio is connected to a JBL M400 amp. I checked each of he wires at the radio, amp and each speaker. There is no sign of damage that may have caused a short. I can't seem to locate the fuse associated with the speakers. Can someone let me know where it is located or send me a pic? Thanks!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few questions you need to answer. Does the amp have power? The green light in the middle will be illuminated. Does the amp have signal? You can test with an alternate source...like iphone/phone with RCA outs plugged in to the amp. You can get an adapter on Amazon. Are the speakers wires hooked up to the amp? Are the speaker wires hooked up to the speakers? There is usually a blue wire (or different color) that goes from the head unit to the amp and goes in the remote terminal by the positive and negative cables. See if that is hooked up, or there may be an inline fuse on that wire that is blown. That tells the amp to turn on when the head unit is on.

If all that checks out and and you get sound with an alternate source then your head unit is the issue. Either you don't have the right output selected, no input ( like from bluetooth, FM, sirius etc), volume is down, muted, or the like. If that isn't the problem then your head unit is defective. If your amp unit has no power then the turn on wire isn't sending 12v or you aren't hooked up correctly somewhere (test voltage at amp), or amp is bad. It is unlikely all 4 speakers are totally blown and not sending out any volume.

Fuse could be blown in the amp, fuse could be inline at the battery, etc. You will find that out when checking for voltage at the amp.

Robert Stempien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
A few questions you need to answer. Does the amp have power? The green light in the middle will be illuminated. Does the amp have signal? You can test with an alternate source...like iphone/phone with RCA outs plugged in to the amp. You can get an adapter on Amazon. Are the speakers wires hooked up to the amp? Are the speaker wires hooked up to the speakers? There is usually a blue wire (or different color) that goes from the head unit to the amp and goes in the remote terminal by the positive and negative cables. See if that is hooked up, or there may be an inline fuse on that wire that is blown. That tells the amp to turn on when the head unit is on.

If all that checks out and and you get sound with an alternate source then your head unit is the issue. Either you don't have the right output selected, no input ( like from bluetooth, FM, sirius etc), volume is down, muted, or the like. If that isn't the problem then your head unit is defective. If your amp unit has no power then the turn on wire isn't sending 12v or you aren't hooked up correctly somewhere (test voltage at amp), or amp is bad. It is unlikely all 4 speakers are totally blown and not sending out any volume.

Fuse could be blown in the amp, fuse could be inline at the battery, etc. You will find that out when checking for voltage at the amp.
Thanks for the suggestions. The amp light is not on and all of the wiring is connected to the amp, head unit, and speakers. I checked the in-line (100amp) in-line fuse and there are no breaks. It appears to be a power issue for the amp - are there any fuses in the JBL M400 amp? if so, I can't seem to locate them

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The amp doesn’t have an onboard fuse. Not sure who or how installed. I have a fuse block at the batteries for my amp. You need a volt meter to check if power is getting to the amp, and if power is flowing on the turn on wire connected to the remote input next to power connections. Head unit has to be on for turn on wire. If there is no power to either the amp won’t turn on. If there is power to both then your amp could be bad. It also won’t turn on with low voltage.

Robert Stempien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for your help scokill. Next step is to check the power with a volt meter.