• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2003 LS2000 LST 1200B piston

gonzaloak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi, one piston of my 2003 Yamaha LS2000 is damaged and needs to be replaced, but have been looking at Yamahapartshouse.com and they show 3 different type of pistons, Piston (0.25Mm O/S) AP , Piston (0.50Mm O/S) AP and Piston (Std) UR STD. On the other hand, at partzilla.com, there seems to be only 1 piston spec; Piston (0.50Mm O/S) AP.
Looked at the damaged part, but cannot identify which one is the proper one for the engine. Will appreciate if someone can give me some guidance.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Measure the bore of the cylinder and compare it to the stock spec to see what size it is. The .25 & .50 are oversize that require machining of the cylinder.

Is the cylinder damaged? Will it need to be machined to get it cleaned up so the new rings will seat properly?

gonzaloak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks.
Cylinder looks fine, just small scratches, but nothing in particular. Will polish it and measure the resulting bore. By the way, should I look to change the 3 pistons at the same time to avoid the motor running bumpy? The other 2 pistons are working fine and good compression, but surely have some minor normal wear, after all, are the original ones from 2003.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The top of the pistons should have markings indicating if they are oversized or original.

I would reuse the pistons if they are in good shape but while you have it apart I’d suggest replacing all the rings.

Remember there is a front and back side to the piston!