Welcome to Jetboaters.net!
We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!
Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)
For questions about how to maintain your boat
TIP--If you are looking for something - try CTRL-F to search the browser page for specific words. On a Droid in Chrome click on the 3 dots in the upper right and click on "Find in Page"
Yes there is! Since this FAQ is a new feature and is under construction you will want to look at the thread linked below. It contains tons of useful links to threads and content about jetboats. Many of these will appear here slowly but surely, but until then:
Current FAQ Thread
Reminder again---a TIP for finding a post in the FAQ rather than reading everything on the page...Hit "CTRL-F" (control Key and the letter F" together - which opens up the "Find" search for most pages and type a word in the window.
If you get it out of the water, look both from underneath, and open up the reverse gate and examine from behind with a good flashlight. Even a tiny piece of hard wood between the housing and the impeller can cause a problem.
If that fails and you are sure there is still something in there, then you need to pull the pump off. This sounds like a daunting things to do, and I thought so too until I did it for the first time. It is EASY. On a Yamaha it involves the removal of 5 bolts and one clip fitting. The only challenge some have had is if the shaft is stuck.....mine wasn't and came out easily. This may be more of an issue for salt water boaters???
Here are some links to threads that discuss this problem for Yamahas
Boat test video explaining the pump system
How to dis-assemble Jet pump video, and photos
- I think I have something stuck in the impeller
- Easy trick on how to clear debris from your intake while on the water
- Damaged impeller linings
- Golf ball stuck in impeller!
- Photos of stuff stuck in impellers
- How to clear your intake grate
This thread explains how to hook it up and operate it.
Here is a thread on how to get it working on a 24' model:
Although this is Yamaha proprietary software there are people selling the cable and Software on EBay all the time.
Your owners manual should tell you how to winterize but Here are some threads and info on how to winterize your Yamaha (will apply to other jet boats too):
- Winterization Checklist
- Winterization Video:
- Winterizing a 2 cycle Yamaha
- Rotax Engine Winterization
- Another winterization video (there are disputes about if you need to fog your engine, if putting anti freeze in your engine does anything etc,)
- Another winterization Thread
- Another recent (2016) discussion on winterization
- Ronnie's 1.8L winterization on you tube https://jetboaters.net/threads/fogging-yamaha-engines-how-to-video.11477/
- Plug change MR1 step by step document
- Plug change step by step video
- Bill D's 1.8L https://jetboaters.net/threads/i-need-a-mechanical-mentor.7655/#post-132624
- Out on Reef's 190 FSH on youtube https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-changed-spark-plugs-in-my-yamaha-190-fsh.14913/
- AR240 youtube
3. how to do a complete oil drain https://jetboaters.net/threads/oil-change-on-mr-1-how-to-perform-a-complete-drain.3805/
4. Bill D's write up https://jetboaters.net/threads/i-need-a-mechanical-mentor.7655/#post-132624
Oil filter for 1.8L engines is K&N HP-1002
- Bearing greasing-Cone Bearing breakdown, Cone bearing maintenance, Cone bearing and steering cable replacement Bruce's cone bearing replacement https://jetboaters.net/threads/chan...witching-to-oil-bath-lubrication.10155/page-3
- Intermediate bearing greasing, intermediate bearing replacement
- Video of the process of lubing the intermediate bearing /// edit - he advises to just pump grease until it comes out, this is contrary to most JBN opinion which is just give it 2-3 pumps as this is only a water block and not a lubrication issue (the bearings are sealed) ///
Besides those, all the linkages can use grease. The service manual shows all the possible points. I hit up the external linkages by pulling back the rubber boots, wiping on grease and sliding the boot back on.
Here is a thread that discusses what type of grease to use:
This thread has some good discussions on this topic:
Cobra Jeff's pump liner swelling fix
Boat test video of how the pumps work,