• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

⛵⚓⛴✔ New Jet Boat Owner? Read this before you go out!!! ⛵⚓⛴✔

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What equipment should you are to have on board. Check you are compliant with your state requirements for Day/Night signal (Day Flag does not expire, flares work both day and night.) and your Fire Extinguisher indicates it is charged and will pass inspection. Enough life vests for all and a throwable pfdevice to appease the authorities.

Don't forget the anchor.
Good one! Added!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This post is intended to give new boat owners, or ones who've not boated in a while, a summary of things they should know BEFORE they go out on the water with their boat. I'm happy to add/modify this first post, so PLEASE tell me things that I have missed and I'll add them and build this up to a comprehensive list. I'm thinking I'll create 2 sections, things you MUST know, and things you should know. Many will include links for further details, and many link to our FAQ.

THINGS YOU MUST KNOW:
  1. I strongly recommend reading the manual for your boat before taking it on the water. Most if not all of this post will be in the manual. Yamaha manuals are available free on Yamaha's website. Scarab User manuals are here.
  2. Know what drowning looks/sounds like - its not like the movies - it is quiet and deadly.
  3. Make sure you have all the required safety equipment on board (life jackets, throwable floatation device, visual flares/signaling device, audible signaling device etc)
  4. Passengers should never sit on the seats on the swim platform while the engines are on. You risk killing people who sit there via carbon monoxide poisoning.
  5. Just because there are no props doesn't mean the jetwash isn't dangerous - all boats have a sticker on the transom warning about it. If your boat is used and is missing the sticker here it is:
  6. Bow riding, although less dangerous with a jet boat is never the less, still dangerous. Bow riding- or sitting on the gunnels (edge of boat) at the front (bow) of the boat is dangerous because if you fall forward, you will be run over by the boat. With a prop boat that can be deadly. But you could catch clothing, life jackets etc in the jet pump and drown. (it is also illegal in most places)
  7. Understand the operation of your bilge pump. Does it work? Have you tested how it works? Do you know when it should be on, auto, off? Short rule- the bilge pump should always be in "Auto" mode while the boat is in the water - ALWAYS!
  8. Always open your engine hatch before starting your boat. You are looking for 2 primary things -1) the smell of gasoline (this would be bad), 2) the presence of water (also bad). Remediate either and understand WHY before operating your boat. If you smell strong gasoline fumes-you MUST fix that BEFORE EVER using the boat.
  9. How to install the drain plugs in the transom - IE don't forget to put them in before launching.
  10. You must know the basics of navigation on the water. This can be accomplished by reading materials, or a boaters safety course. The latter will also give you a discount on your insurance.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
  1. How your engine works - what might cause it not to start.
  2. How to clean stuff out of your jet pump.
  3. What tools you should have on board.
  4. Know what is good voltage for your batteries -for example 12v is 50% discharged.
  5. How your running lights work, when they should be on, and what lights shouldn't be on when in the open water (for example docking lights)
  6. Have a launching and retrieving checklist.
  7. How to use your anchor and get it to hold.
  8. A jet boat is a giant vacuum - it can and will suck stuff up....like sand (which is bad for engine cooling passages). Also, don't power off beaches etc - this will stir up sand and rocks and potentially 1) jamb your reverse gate(s), 2) get sucked into your cooling system.
  9. How loading and positioning of people in your boat is important. Too much bow weight will change how your boat drives - and will actually mean you can't turn as fast as you normally can. So don't be afraid to tell your passengers to move around - you are the captain. In general, jet boats are not prone to porpoising-but it is an example of a dangerous condition that can be caused simply by too many people sitting in one area. Learn how YOUR boat responds and ADJUST.
  10. How to disconnect and connect the jet pump gate from then end of the cable using the quick connect on a Yamaha. You need to know this if you make the mistake of powering off a beach and jamb your gate with sand or pebbles (#8 above)
  11. That jetboats without close loop cooling systems (All Yamahas) cannot be towed (or run on one engine in twin engine models) over no wake speed without clamping off the cooling water intake line or you will flood the engine with water - this is in your manual (So see #1 at the top!)

I'm sure I've missed something, so please point those out and add them! I have added this as a sticky and also add it to the FAQ as its own standalone item.
Guessing the "Auto On" for the bilge is the factory setting? How does one check, on the dash or on the pump itself?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Things you should/want to know, NO spraying of suntan lotion on the boat.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guessing the "Auto On" for the bilge is the factory setting? How does one check, on the dash or on the pump itself?
That varies by the model and year of the boat. On my boat for example, you set the bilge to auto mode either through the Connext screen, or by pressing the bilge pump button til it shows Auto mode on the Connext screen. Boats without connext screens, the pump just needs to have the switch in the ON position and it will cycle every 3 minutes automatically.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
That varies by the model and year of the boat. On my boat for example, you set the bilge to auto mode either through the Connext screen, or by pressing the bilge pump button til it shows Auto mode on the Connext screen. Boats without connext screens, the pump just needs to have the switch in the ON position and it will cycle every 3 minutes automatically.
I have a 21 195s I will have to review the connext and or the manual., I'm apparently not up to speed like I should be.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This post is intended to give new boat owners, or ones who've not boated in a while, a summary of things they should know BEFORE they go out on the water with their boat. I'm happy to add/modify this first post, so PLEASE tell me things that I have missed and I'll add them and build this up to a comprehensive list. I'm thinking I'll create 2 sections, things you MUST know, and things you should know. Many will include links for further details, and many link to our FAQ.

THINGS YOU MUST KNOW:
  1. I strongly recommend reading the manual for your boat before taking it on the water. Most if not all of this post will be in the manual. Yamaha manuals are available free on Yamaha's website. Scarab User manuals are here.
  2. Know what drowning looks/sounds like - its not like the movies - it is quiet and deadly.
  3. Make sure you have all the required safety equipment on board (life jackets, throwable floatation device, visual flares/signaling device, audible signaling device etc)
  4. Passengers should never sit on the seats on the swim platform while the engines are on. You risk killing people who sit there via carbon monoxide poisoning.
  5. Just because there are no props doesn't mean the jetwash isn't dangerous - all boats have a sticker on the transom warning about it. If your boat is used and is missing the sticker here it is:
  6. Bow riding, although less dangerous with a jet boat is never the less, still dangerous. Bow riding- or sitting on the gunnels (edge of boat) at the front (bow) of the boat is dangerous because if you fall forward, you will be run over by the boat. With a prop boat that can be deadly. But you could catch clothing, life jackets etc in the jet pump and drown. (it is also illegal in most places)
  7. Understand the operation of your bilge pump. Does it work? Have you tested how it works? Do you know when it should be on, auto, off? Short rule- the bilge pump should always be in "Auto" mode while the boat is in the water - ALWAYS!
  8. Always open your engine hatch before starting your boat. You are looking for 2 primary things -1) the smell of gasoline (this would be bad), 2) the presence of water (also bad). Remediate either and understand WHY before operating your boat. If you smell strong gasoline fumes-you MUST fix that BEFORE EVER using the boat.
  9. How to install the drain plugs in the transom - IE don't forget to put them in before launching.
  10. You must know the basics of navigation on the water. This can be accomplished by reading materials, or a boaters safety course. The latter will also give you a discount on your insurance.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
  1. How your engine works - what might cause it not to start.
  2. How to clean stuff out of your jet pump.
  3. What tools you should have on board.
  4. Know what is good voltage for your batteries -for example 12v is 50% discharged.
  5. How your running lights work, when they should be on, and what lights shouldn't be on when in the open water (for example docking lights)
  6. Have a launching and retrieving checklist.
  7. How to use your anchor and get it to hold.
  8. A jet boat is a giant vacuum - it can and will suck stuff up....like sand (which is bad for engine cooling passages). Also, don't power off beaches etc - this will stir up sand and rocks and potentially 1) jamb your reverse gate(s), 2) get sucked into your cooling system.
  9. How loading and positioning of people in your boat is important. Too much bow weight will change how your boat drives - and will actually mean you can't turn as fast as you normally can. So don't be afraid to tell your passengers to move around - you are the captain. In general, jet boats are not prone to porpoising-but it is an example of a dangerous condition that can be caused simply by too many people sitting in one area. Learn how YOUR boat responds and ADJUST.
  10. How to disconnect and connect the jet pump gate from then end of the cable using the quick connect on a Yamaha. You need to know this if you make the mistake of powering off a beach and jamb your gate with sand or pebbles (#8 above)
  11. That jetboats without close loop cooling systems (All Yamahas) cannot be towed (or run on one engine in twin engine models) over no wake speed without clamping off the cooling water intake line or you will flood the engine with water - this is in your manual (So see #1 at the top!)
  12. Be careful with sunscreen - many will stain your seats - especially spray sunscreens. The same with brand new swim suits - they can leak dye onto the seats!

I'm sure I've missed something, so please point those out and add them! I have added this as a sticky and also add it to the FAQ as its own standalone item.
This is a great list @Julian! Thanks for posting! Great to re-read even as seasoned boaters as the boating season is now upon us.
To add to #8 of “Things You Should Know”, this includes rope. And if that rope is near someone it has potential for very serious harm, including amputation.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is a great list @Julian! Thanks for posting! Great to re-read even as seasoned boaters as the boating season is now upon us.
To add to #8 of “Things You Should Know”, this includes rope. And if that rope is near someone it has potential for very serious harm, including amputation.
Added more clarity there! Good catch! Perhaps need to put the whole #8 in section 1 for "must" knows!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Added #13 in the should know section:

1. How your bilge pump works.
    1. Do the battery switch(es) need to be on or off?
    2. Have you cleaned the intake screen (you should check it annually)?
    3. Do you know that if the intake screen is clogged your pump won't work?
    4. Could you remove the pump in an emergency by feel alone (ie its underwater) to clean the screen? (most new pumps have two clips on each side holding it to the base)

lukan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do a youtube video , that would help explain a lot easier.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
A video covering all these points? That would be a long video. Attention spans are a short these days!
Maybe a pdf would work

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On revisiting this just now, I would promote the anchor to a must know. Too many situations (storms, failed engines, etc.) that may unexpectedly come up that require you to know how to do that.

You should also have a radio and must know how to call for help (channel 16, how to call a mayday, etc.--or even if you have a cell phone know that it works and what to tell them in an emergency).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On revisiting this just now, I would promote the anchor to a must know. Too many situations (storms, failed engines, etc.) that may unexpectedly come up that require you to know how to do that.

You should also have a radio and must know how to call for help (channel 16, how to call a mayday, etc.--or even if you have a cell phone know that it works and what to tell them in an emergency).
I agree with both your points if you are ocean boating, not sure you need a radio when boating on a lake. I'll add something to that effect.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I agree with both your points if you are ocean boating, not sure you need a radio when boating on a lake. I'll add something to that effect.
I actually bought a VHF portable even though I only boat on lakes. Sometimes there is no cell signal and I’ve had my infant granddaughter with me. I’m usually over prepared.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I actually bought a VHF portable even though I only boat on lakes. Sometimes there is no cell signal and I’ve had my infant granddaughter with me. I’m usually over prepared.
Good plan. All I'm saying is it isn't a MUST have for all boaters.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good plan. All I'm saying is it isn't a MUST have for all boaters.
I agree. I believe that is what I wrote above (you should have a radio; you must know how to call for help (which may be radio, cell phone, hand signals, flare gun, carrier pigeon, etc.)).

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I admit I purchased a hand held vhf and I have found it less useful than I expected. No calls made are ever responded, instead I end up calling on the cell and they pick up. There marinas may have radios but they are hot using them much. It's good the coast guard is indeed listening and could help.