• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

04 sx230 rpm's at idle

Offroad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what is the correct rpm's at idle speed on an 04 sx230? My boat idles at 2k

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Idling at 2K does seem a little high to me.

The Idle (Trolling) Speed should be documented on the Emission Control Information sticker which should be stuck to the control box (ECU) behind the engine. It may also be on the outside of the hood below the seat and or near the starter on the bottom of each engine on the left side.

I did not find the specification in the owners or service manuals. It would be great if you could post once you find it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For later high output MR1 engines the the trolling speed is 1650 RPM plus or minus 50 RPM. So 1600 to 1700 RPM.

I assume that at 2K you must have forward movement when the throttle is in the neutral position.

Offroad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure on forward movement, just bought boat end of summer and didn't get a chance to take out. I will look for idle speed spec sticker tomorrow and post. I've also just ordered the yds software and cable.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You are looking for a sticker similar to this one.
Welcome to the forum.
IMG_2212.JPG

Offroad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the sticker on top my engine.

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the sticker on top my engine.
Look for more. The owners manual shows you should have a sticker like buckbuck's.

@Murf'n'surf, do you have HO engines? If not, do you know what your engines idle at?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not have HO motors.

Unfortunately, I can't remember my idle speed.

Offroad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just received yds. Do the engines have to be running to use software? I keep getting error message; pc and ecm not communicating

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just received yds. Do the engines have to be running to use software? I keep getting error message; pc and ecm not communicating
@Julian, can you help here? I believe the key has to be on but the engines do not have to be running.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Offroad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Julian,Bruce and Murf n surf for all your help. I was able to successfully pull information from both engines today. My hours were way off from one another; starboard 77.2hrs , port 183.6hrs. Time to do more research on boat thanks again

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is likely that the ECU has been changed on the one engine. Installing a new one starts the clock at zero.
183 hours is very low for a boat that age.

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is likely that the ECU has been changed on the one engine. Installing a new one starts the clock at zero.
183 hours is very low for a boat that age.
I just pull the hours off my 05 SX230HO and both idled around 1450rpm from cold start.

Stuntmanmike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all, New to the forum. I'm a semi retired Marine and PWC mechanic. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the YDS , It is very common for the "no communication" error to pop up and I have found that entering the off line service code look up first always works for me. And the engine does not have to be running to use it, just bump the starter and it will energize the power for atleast 30 seconds.