• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

07 AR230 HO, gelcoat heavy oxidation removal

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last year shortly after purchasing our Yamaha, we noticed that the deep orange color was fading, as the sun had caused oxidation of the gelcoat. I wanted to wax over it, but that would be like putting lipstick on a pig, so I decided that if I was going to it right, first the graphics would need to be removed.20170415_141627.jpgThat just made the oxidation, where the graphics did not cover, more obvious. I purchased a kit from Marine 31 with a heavy cut oxidation remover, a final polish and a carnauba wax/sealer with several foam pads. Tried the oxidation remover with the D/A and it did very little. So not wanting to admit failure and call a Professional, I decided to wet sand the hull, It has been a while since iv'e wet sanded that big of a surface, but I bought some paper, 1500 and 2000 grit and started,20170430_102323.jpgI wanted to go easy so I hand sanded, probably will use the D/A for the other side if I can locate the paper. It went well and a long way towards restoring the hull to its true color. I did use the Marine 31 products after the wet sanding and they worked well to restore the shine. Here are a few before and after pics.20170415_144558.jpg 20170430_144923.jpg20170430_113638.jpg We both like the end result.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, looks great!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce Thanks, it was worth it, even though my shoulders are tightening up now after a day of continuous circular motion. It looks A LOT better.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't wet sanded mine but I have to buff it once a month or two bc it gets streaks down it from water washing away the wax maybe? Looks so good after its buffed. Just wished it lasted longer

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great! ill be doing something similar in the future. I bought the 3m three setup process for gel coat. I just ordered a da (for a car project) to finish up after the dewalt rotary cut and polish.