• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

07 SX230 Steering cable help

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the new steering cables but need the tool for removing the big 22mm nut. Where can I get the tool? If there is anyone in the area that has the tool or could help me with the job I’ll pay them. The boat is on a lift but I can access everything from the shallow water below. Anyone know of any good mechanics for these boat in the area? I live in New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168. Thanks.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you look at our instructions in the FAQ section ?

are you talking about the nut that fits up against the hull that needs a pass through socket ?

I'm sure you can go to lowe's or homedepot and if they don't have the pass through you could buy an 22mm crescent wrench, it would just take a few minutes longer,

If you really didn't want to do it I bet a jetski shop could get it done for you easier than a general boat mechanic,

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did read the instructions and I am talking about the nut that needs the pass through socket. I went to homedepot and the set they had only went to 17 or 19mm. I tried with an open end wrench but that doesn’t work because of the indentation that the nut is in. I am planning on doing this myself but was just wondering if anyone knew of any good mechanics in the area. Thank you.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take a 22mm deepwell socket, and cut it in half with a cutoff wheel. Take the halves to a steel fabrication shop, and have them weld a section of pipe in between the two halves, making it a super long deepwell socket. I did mine myself, not hard at all.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
maybe an o2 sensor socket like this at homedepot or an autoparts store,

I have both. Changed the sensors in my wife’s ‘16 Acadia and the dang check engine light came back on a week later.

D&S232

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used an O2 sensor wrench on mine. worked great!

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did get a loaner O2 sensor wrench from Advanced Auto and got it loose thanks. How do you get the end off that connects to the pump? Do the cables pull trough easily?

D&S232

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you talking about the U shaped end? If so, it should just unscrew (count the number of turns so you can get things lined up easier when you put the new ones on). Yeah, once everything is taken apart, tape up the cables together (one side at a time) and pull them from the helm. Mine went much easier than I expected! Shout back if you have more questions.

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks a lot for all your help. My next question is how do you remove/disconnect the steering cable from the transom? Are these instructions for a 2007 sx230? This is a pic from the inside. Everything from the outside is disconnected and the cables won’t move. How’s do you get to the big 22mm bolt on the inside of the transom? I’m talking about the two big bolts that come with the new steering cables. Thanks for all the help

Attachments

D&S232

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ll be honest, I don’t recall getting inside the transom.... it was last year and I’ve slept since!!! So you’re disconnected outside, and in the helm, and the cables won’t pull either direction? For me to confirm inside my transom, I’d have to open it and take a look.. I’m sitting at the lake though...

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yours is an 09? Mine looks the same. So did you remove the clean out tray? Yes I’m disconnected outside at the back of the boat and at the helm and the cable is not moving at the back. The nut in the previous picture is still connected to the plastic piece. This is the new Yamaha oem cable.

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, you need access to the transom, cleanout tray needs removed. The old one should have some kind of sealant to prevent leaks holding it in place, which means you likely will have to be persuasive in coaxing it out.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had to cut the shit out of the silicone in mine to get it to pull through. I recall one being harder to do than the other but eventually both came through. Use the old cable to pull the new one through and tape the ends so they don’t cut up your seat or fiberglass.

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m still trying to figure out if the black nut that’s on the white plastic piece under the cleanout tray in the pic needs to be removed along with the white plastic piece. Also does the new washer and 22mm nut replace that nut and plastic piece. Thanks

Attachments

Emanuel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cable in the picture is the forward/reverse cable not the steering cable.