• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

08 212SS questions

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi I am looking at 3 different boats and going to pull the trigger on Saturday. I planned on buying an 08 AR210 with 153hrs on it in pretty good shape for 16000. Only draw back is that it has a painted steel trailer. I would need a galvanized or aluminum trailer for where I live because I am going to be using it mostly in salt/brackish water. I just saw an 08 212SS with only 80hrs and it looks immaculate. Another plus is it already has a galvanized trailer. Owner is asking 22.5. Maybe I can get it for 20k. My question is, I love the look of the all red hull of the 212ss but is the bottom of the hull painted red or a vinyl wrap or actual red fiberglass? Was just wondering because it seems like toward the bottom of the hull will show every tiny scratch. Thoughts?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with the 212. Less hours and more hp.

Gel coat from the factory.

@DCB-270 has a 212 that year. He will know as well as any.

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But is it worth almost 5k in price difference? Plus if I got a 212ss, I’d like to add a wake tower eventually.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Dude, i bought my ss years ago for 22 but seats were tore up a bit (still are actually) so at the time it was a deal. Problem is people at the shelbyville party introduced me to wake surfing and now i have a tower.
The tower is alway a worry point to me even though it hasn't failed. The bimini frame did onthe way to bimini but eh...
Dude, the ss is the sexiest boat yamaha has ever made that i know of. I wouldn't think too hard.
The color is all gelcoat.
The low windshield is cool but in a huge downpour or if you go in rough waters you get slightly more spray.
The oem bimini is hard to beat and i selected my tower for looks and for the bimini.
The mr1 motors sip gas and the boat is a thicker hull than some of the new styles.
Pictures will be needed!20190805_191139.jpg

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much does a tower like that go for or just a standard tower? New to the jet boat world so don’t know about the pricing of accessories. Here’s the SS pics. They are asking 22.5 but I would think they’d let it go for 20k but I’m not sure if I’d even pay that. It’s really clean though.

Attachments

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And here’s the 08 AR210 I’m looking at. Comes with a full Yamaha cover which is a big plus. Upholstery is not in immaculate shape like the SS but still in good condition.

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And here’s the 08 AR210 I’m looking at. Comes with a full Yamaha cover which is a big plus. Upholstery is not in immaculate shape like the SS but still in good condition.
Painted trailer with the AR is going to be a problem with brackish/salt water.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buy the ss

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize the trailer will be an issue later down the road. Just planned on running it for a while while I search for an aluminum or galvanized one on craigslist.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I realize the trailer will be an issue later down the road. Just planned on running it for a while while I search for an aluminum or galvanized one on craigslist.
Start @ 19k for the SS and go from there. Low hours and galvanized trailer huge plus. Add a tower later will be cheaper than trailer swap down the line.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much does a tower like that go for or just a standard tower? New to the jet boat world so don’t know about the pricing of accessories. Here’s the SS pics. They are asking 22.5 but I would think they’d let it go for 20k but I’m not sure if I’d even pay that. It’s really clean though.
You can get a tower for less than a trailer. You cannot add horsepower to the non ho MR-1 motor.

They sell them and install them anywhere nationwide

I will add that I have sx210 with the non hos , it's fine and does everything we want.

Last edited:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Best looking boat Yamaha ever made. HAs the more hp motors. 100 more than the SX210.

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like most of you guys are saying go with the 212SS even though there is 5k between it and the AR210 I’m looking at. Let me ask you guys this though, the 3rd boat I’ve been looking to get is a 08 AR230. Also in great shape and has an aluminum trailer and great upholstery. They wanted 23500 but said they would take 20k. What you guys still pick the 212SS over this boat? The only thing is that it’s orange. Not too crazy about that.

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like most of you guys are saying go with the 212SS even though there is 5k between it and the AR210 I’m looking at. Let me ask you guys this though, the 3rd boat I’ve been looking to get is a 08 AR230. Also in great shape and has an aluminum trailer and great upholstery. They wanted 23500 but said they would take 20k. What you guys still pick the 212SS over this boat? The only thing is that it’s orange. Not too crazy about that.
Given that choice, I’d go with the 230. Bigger boat, high output engines, upgraded trailer, etc. How many hours are on the 230?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ya always wanna bigga boat

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree bigger is always better. The only thing is the color. Can’t stand the orange look without the graphics and apparently Yamaha doesn’t make a few pieces of it anymore. How much would it be to get it wrapped in black just the part of the hull that is orange? Or is paint the way to go?

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 23ft has between 300-400 hours says the owner (no hour meter). Also there are a few sun fading spots on the upholstery on the back rests that I did not see earlier.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK so little update. Talked to the owner of the 212SS and he said he will take 19950 for the boat but trailer brakes are gone on it. Not too big of a deal on a light 21ft boat. The AR210 is 16k AND I found someone nearby with a 2011 AR210 that has a galvanized trailer at I could swap my painted trailer and $1000 cash to go with it. So essentially could have the AR210 for 17k with galvanized trailer, or the 212ss for19950 with no brakes. The orange AR230 is out of the running. Was sent some close up pics of it and the boat looked a little rougher than what I would have liked to see. Here's a list of pros and cons for both...

08 AR210
pros
- has wake tower
- has nice sound system
- has dual battery setup
- potentially 16.5k with galvanized trailer
- has full Yamaha Moering boat cover

cons
- interior just a little rougher than the 212SS (has a few stitches coming apart, discoloring a tad on a couple of cushions)
- has a chip by the bow area where he anchor comes out and a few scratches on the red gel coat
- 4hr drive one way
- speedometer works irratically
- has 155hrs ( from hour meter installed from previous owner)

08 212SS
pros
- low hours (80hrs by the YDS reading tool from dealer) 1 owner
- shorter drive 1.5hrs
- interior immaculate
- H.O. motors
- SOOOO damn pretty

cons
-
no boat cover
- no dual battery setup
- cost is 3k more
- trailer brakes do not work
- no wake tower

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
3k can fix the seats and get you some gelcoat paste. I do think you would enjoy a factory tower. The bimini is smaller isthe only downside there.