• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

08 sx230 ho mechanical help needed

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi forum. New to the group, hoping someone can advise. I need to know how to remove the rubber boot which covers/cools the exhaust on an mr1.

This wide and short boot is found near the front of the engine and has a near 90 degree bend. The metal exhaust tubing runs through the middle, making it very difficult to remove and replace. I have a small tear in the boot causing water to spray while running.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, the boot ("joint exhaust 1" , #33 on the first exhaust diagram) is held on with simple hose clamps, however the metal exhaust pipe runs through the middle and appears that it must be removed to allow the boot to come off. I'll try and upload a picture also. Thanks for helping!

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The large black hose is the rubber boot I am referring to. The metal on both ends actually runs inside of the boot, thus my question. How to remove the boot, any tricks to removing the exhuast section that runs through the boot to allow the replacement of the boot?

Attachments

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watching to see what the answer is. I know it comes apart in sections but i never tried to slip off the rubber boot.

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cut the boot/hose off, anyone know how to seperate the exhaust elbow? I removed the two hose clamps and 4 nuts.
Thanks for any help.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to unbolt the exhaust that faces the rear of the bolt from the hull. Then you can Jimmy it enough to get the pipe out. I struggled with it for a while, but this was easy. You don't need to do anything with the rear seals, just loosen it and move it slightly outboard. There are 2 more band clamps under the outer rubber boot that hold the inner boot.

Attachments

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jgorm, thanks for the response and pic. Im not seeing where to "unbolt the exhaust that faces the rear of the bolt from the hull." Where is this bolted?
Thanks again.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have only removed the exhaust where it runs into the bilge to reposition the water boxes for some work below. When I did that I removed the pipe clamps then pulled really hard. A hammer may have been involved. I remember the rubber being stuck to the metal.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any bolts to remove? Thanks
The section I removed was at the back where it runs into the bilge. The rubber was held to the metal by the pipe clamps and either adhesive or years of debris / light corrosion.

Can you post a picture of what yours looks like now that you have cut the rubber?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jgorm, thanks for the response and pic. Im not seeing where to "unbolt the exhaust that faces the rear of the bolt from the hull." Where is this bolted?
Thanks again.
Mine had one or two bolts that built the rear exhaust to the hull. Look under the exhaust going to the rear for where it attached to the hull. There may be one that attaches to the engine itself. I can't remember. I remember because I struggled for a while before I did that and it was easy after I unhooked it. Mine is an 04, not sure if different

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pic of exhaust pipe after romoving boot. Need to seperate elbow so I can install new boot.

Attachments

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks jgorm, Ill give that a try.

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 bolts connecting to the block, 2 bolts hanging it to the top and 1 I cant get to, would have to remive the top half of the engine. (Pic below). Would it be easier/safe to remive the manifold instead?

Attachments

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would it be easier/safe to remive the manifold instead?
no. I was originally trying to remove the manifold. The studs / pins requires you to pull it off and you need more clearance. You gotta undo the fitting you are working on to remove the manifold. There are tons of bolts on the manifold and yours look a bit corroded. Let sleeping dogs lay. I remember the top coming off pretty easily. You don't need to remove the fuel rails, injectors our tb's. It all comes out as one.