• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8HO Engine replacement 2012 242LS

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other threads on siezed motors will explain why I am posting this. Long story short I flooded the engine bay and the lower air box of the port side sucked up water and broke some stuff in my motor. I am looking at two options, Yamaha dealer rebuild or SBT long block. I seen one post on SBT that the guy got screwed bassically, any others care to chime in?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If bought a ski with a rebuilt ant motor that ran great for over two years that I owned it. The motor eventually blew but that was my fault. Anyway, if you go that route buy the 2 year warranty, I’ve read a lot less complaints from those guys unlike those who purchased the 1 year warranty. Also be forewarned, the parts you get back won’t be the ones you send in (I.e., they don’t repair parts, they replace them, sometimes with other used / core parts).

as for Waverunners with the same engines, I think the fix line started using them in 2008 or 2009. The gp line uses them to. Make sure that The engine you get has the same kw output as the one you are replacing. Ca carb complaint boats put out less kw/hp than their non ca counterparts. The supercharger variant puts out another 25% kw/hp bit this should not be a concern for you.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went the Yamaha dealer rebuild route. Runs fine. No issues. It’s been about four or five years now. It was a pretty penny. 15k paid by insurance.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went the Yamaha dealer rebuild route. Runs fine. No issues. It’s been about four or five years now. It was a pretty penny. 15k paid by insurance.
Whoa! 15 is a good amount of cash! What all did they do?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have insurance on your boat? Sounds like your boat sank and you have an insurance claim. That will get you a motor from Yamaha. I was quoted $15k to replace mine, I told insurance it over heated though which they don’t cover….I found a wrecked jet ski and ended up spending about $7k all in for the replacement. That included labor and tear down of the other motor to try and get insurance to pay….

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Whoa! 15 is a good amount of cash! What all did they do?
All I know is that it threw a rod and cracked the block. Not sure what all the other internal damage was that went with it. I thought the cost was ridiculous too.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All I know is that it threw a rod and cracked the block. Not sure what all the other internal damage was that went with it. I thought the cost was ridiculous too.
I am now frightened

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Used for 10K on eBay.
Says only 3 hrs on the engine!

Last edited:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take that back. Looks like it’s new with only 3 hours. So maybe a solution.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$10k on eBay but no warranty. I’d get a quote from SBT. I bet it will be a lot cheaper and come with a warranty as long as you have it installed as recommended/instructed by SBT.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They have a partial engine for $5200. Not sure what you can save off of yours.
I wonder what they do? Make aftermarket parts for the engines?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
3 hours with no warranty is still no warranty. Are these engines bullet proof? Most of the time but …

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Consider the options posted about finding a used jet ski. I didn’t know at the time that was even an option. Is insurance helping at all?
I am my insurance agent, and an agent for many others lol. I wont be using insurance for this, my neglegence and I carry a high deductible since I dont use insurance except for total losses.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They have a partial engine for $5200. Not sure what you can save off of yours.
I wonder what they do? Make aftermarket parts for the engines?
SBT quote 3495 long block without shipping to and from. Core first deal so that tells me they either rebuild my engine or have one of yalls to rebuild, I doubt its new but it does have a warranty, probably the rout I will take.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Black Beard Marine quoted 5100 for new yamaha 1.8, then 900 for a machine shop to do the head work, so around 8000 to fix. Ill sell this boat right now for 35 lol

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Black Beard Marine quoted 5100 for new yamaha 1.8, then 900 for a machine shop to do the head work, so around 8000 to fix. Ill sell this boat right now for 35 lol
I bought a 2011 ar240 with a bad motor last year. I was able to find a used take out motor for $4300 shipped to my door and did the work myself. It really wasn't that hard, but I did have a forklift to help me get the motor in and out. My old motor still had a good head and cams and crank wich I sold on ebay for about $1500, so all in was less than $3000 for the replacement. I have had about 4-5 trips with the new setup. Only had one small oil leak, but other than that has been great. I used the SBT resource guide to find a jetski salvage and was able to find a motor.
If you go the "buy a whole ski" route, I have a 2012 FXHO waverunner for sale with 108 hours on it for $9000 in San Marcos Ca. 92069. You should be able to use what you need and sell the rest to recoupe pretty easly. I would say, you would be in it for less than $5k to do the replacement. Let me know.20210628_154409.jpg