• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Ribbon Delete (2017 212X)

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Got around to doing the ribbon delete and thought I'd document my install.
First off I know most evidence points to replacing the ribbon with an insert as not having much benefit above just removing the ribbon alone, but I decided to use the insert in my case.

Part #: Aqua Sport Billet Intake Ring YH-16002
(replaces Yamaha ribbon part # 6D3-1444B-00-00 If this is not yours you will need to find a different insert)

The port side was the easiest (more on the starboard issues later) as I was able to remove the entire air filter box and I RECOMMEND you do this. Its just two bolts on the port side of the box. The other side bolts don't need to be removed or loosen as the box just slips out off those mount points.

Next remove the throttle body (4 bolts)

throttle-remove-1.jpg

You will be looking at the throttle mounting plate and can see the ribbon.

throttle-remove-2.jpg

Next remove the throttle mounting plate (four bolts)

plate-remove.jpg

Next use a wood screw to pull out the ribbon

ribbon-remove-1.jpg

ribbon-remove-2.jpg

If you will be using the billet insert make note of the direction of the rubber cover so you can install on the insert the same direction.

**** WARNING: If you are not going to use a billet insert to replace the ribbon, DO NOT USE THE RUBBER COVER BY ITSELF - if not using an insert, throw the rubber cover away. ******

Next if using the billet insert, pull the rubber cover off the ribbon and put it over the billet insert.

insert-rubber-1.jpg

insert-rubber-2.jpg

Next push the rubber incased insert into the intake to replace the ribbon.

insert-installed.jpg

Next replace the throttle mounting plate and the throttle body.
Be sure to use Blue Thread Locker on all 4 plate bolts and all 4 throttle body bolts.
Torque all 8 of the bolts to 17.7 lb-ft per service manual. (if you don't have a torque wrench, "just snug" would be the term for these bolts. )

torque.jpg

Next before you re-install the air filter box (if you want) delete the snorkel.

snorkel-1.jpg

snorkel-2.jpg

Lastly re-install the air filter box and port engine is done.

=============================================

Now on the Starboard side the issue is the air box is mounted with a bolt through the backside and nut on the front side - with no way to get at the bolt head (brilliant). So the nut just spins the bolt. Not sure if all 212x are like this or if someone just got lazy on the assembly of my boat. At any rate on my boat there is literally no way to remove the back side of the air cleaner box.

port-cleaner.jpg

So the air filter boot has to be removed before the air filter itself is removed. It is extremely tight getting it out of there but it is possible. I recommend that you completely unscrew the hose clamps and just get them off of there which makes squeezing the the boot out easier.

cleaner-boot.jpg

After getting the boot off and the air filter removed its business as usual.
Removing the snorkel is also a pain while the box is still mounted but I eventually man handled it out of there.

Again when reinstalling the boot on this side because of the tight fit with the air box in place, I recommend leaving the the hose clamps off and then installing them after the boot is back in place.

port-hose-clamp.jpg

That's all there is to it. About 20 min per side for me. Can't wait to get it out and see if it gives me any performance increases.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just asking, Did you install spark resistant air filters? I thought a part of removing the ribbons was keeping the boats USCG compliant with spark arresting that the ribbons used to take care of. I bought I think K&M filters that are supposed to be spark arrestors.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just asking, Did you install spark resistant air filters? I thought a part of removing the ribbons was keeping the boats USCG compliant with spark arresting that the ribbons used to take care of. I bought I think K&M filters that are supposed to be spark arrestors.
The flame arrestor fixed in the throttle body would handle a backfire, one that would blow the K&N filter right off. I've seen backfires split exhaust hoses and blow the hose off water boxes.

Your flame arrestor prevents a possible fire due to mechanical issues, like a stuck injector dumping fuel, then a spark and boom. They play an important role, and I hope anyone that removes them understands the possible consequences.

-Greg

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I haven't received them yet but that is on my todo list when they come.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The flame arrestor fixed in the throttle body would handle a backfire, one that would blow the K&N filter right off. I've seen backfires split exhaust hoses and blow the hose off water boxes.
In 1.8 engines?
I must say, in my 5-6(?) years of constant trolling several jet boating/ski sites I have yet to hear of a ribbon delete related incident, malfunction, whatever...

Could you please cite one example of a ribbon delete related accident in a 1.8 Yamaha boat or ski?
Not to mention, dealers do it for high altitude boats albeit it's not necessarily being broadcast.

--

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Your flame arrestor prevents a possible fire due to mechanical issues, like a stuck injector dumping fuel, then a spark and boom. They play an important role, and I hope anyone that removes them understands the possible consequences.

-Greg

Hmmmm.... I'm not a mechanic, shade tree at best, but I don't understand what an intake spark arrestor has to do with the risk of an exhaust side backfire? My understanding on the main purpose of a intake spark arrestor on a boat is to eliminate any ignition source for fumes that build up in the engine compartment. Even with the intake spark arrestor you are not going to eliminate/reduce the risk of an exhaust backfire situation.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fact is... you don't really need those ribbons in fuel injected (not carburated) engines.

In reality, it is an example of an outdated USCG rule.
A flame arrestor type air filter IS a valid replacement; about as useful as those ribbons but it gets the compliance.

--

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly think this is left over from the 2 stroke/carburetor days where you could have a backfire thru the intake due to the nature of the 2 strokes or gas pooling in the carb if you had a bad needle/jet etc...
None of my 2-strokes have ever had any factory spark/flame arrestors on them longer than a day or two. Never was an issue with any of my machines.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ttzz Thanks for the write up and pictures. Please update us when you have a chance to take the boat out. Hoping to get mine done soon without the intake ring so hopefully we can compare!

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thankyou ttzz great write-up !

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wonder if this would do anything for my SX210

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if do a ribbon delete, do you need different air filters? My understanding was that you did. I bought K & M filters but maybe I don't really need them. I'm going to do the ribbon delete anyways and I've got the filters so I'll put them in too.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fact is... you don't really need those ribbons in fuel injected (not carburated) engines.-
Timing issues can cause a backfire through the throttle body. I have a friend that lost eyebrows last year on a 1.8 that backfired when he was working on it.

-Greg

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So if do a ribbon delete, do you need different air filters? My understanding was that you did. I bought K & M filters but maybe I don't really need them. I'm going to do the ribbon delete anyways and I've got the filters so I'll put them in too.
I’m going to. If nothing else it keeps you inline with USCG regulations.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Watched and waiting for yer report, thanks for the in depth instructions.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Timing issues can cause a backfire through the throttle body. I have a friend that lost eyebrows last year on a 1.8 that backfired when he was working on it.

-Greg
That is good to know. I'll make sure I put the ribbons back in if I work on my 1.8s.

--

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did both. The filters don't make any improvement - they just make you legal.

I also have vid's of both with some of my results in my YouTube. Mind you it says 2 MPH delta, I ran it a few times pre/post. The water was a hair more calm post install. The delta is negligible. I should probably edit the video.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Was able to get out this evening to see if there were any performance increases from my ribbon delete.
Before the ribbon delete the most I got out of it was 46 mph @ around 7300 rpm.
Tonight with 3 people in the boat I finally hit that 50 mph I've been looking for @ around 7500 rpm.
I have no doubt that with favorable conditions and one person in the boat I'll now be able to see over 50 mph.
So the ribbon delete is definitely the real deal and I was one happy boater to finally see the 50 on the dash.