• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service Cost

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of different posts on here, but I was hoping to get a quick opinion. The dealership where I bought my 2018 212 Limited S is telling me it will be around $675 for the 10 hour service. That seems crazy high to me, but maybe I'm wrong... I'm hoping to find out if that price is pretty typical or am I being royally ripped off?

Thanks for the help!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's typical and you are being royally ripped off. Do it yourself. It's an oil change and greasing a few things.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 10 hour service is typically fairly expensive (I made my dealer include it after we settled on a price). It's a bit more intense than just two oil changes, and greasing the bearings is a pretty important task to get right. If you're mechanically apt, no issue to DIY.

FrankC2208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My dealer charged me $330 to come to my house and perform the 10 hour service. Had a $25 off coupon which made it that much more reasonable...

2019 242 Limited S

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately thats not outside of what I’ve seen, where are you located?

I’m in Canada and want to say I was somewhere around 550. 3 hours labour and like 80 bucks in parts. Labour here is quite pricey, I don’t fault the dealer for that though, they are pretty much in line with other shops. I used to work in service for a manufacturer and labour costs here are very high in order to attract talent that would otherwise work in oil.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Paid $100 on my SX190

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
430 for me. Value my time more, so it was fine for me

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oil, filters, plugs and greased the bearings. I enjoyed the time it took and I know it was completed correctly with no short cuts. Little things like correctly greasing the plug threads with the proper grease and lubing the plug boots for future ease of performing plug changes again. No mess and no damage and since I like things done right, I know that no dealer cares about my Yamaha as much as I do.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I spent about $80 on mine, had to buy an extractor pump and grease gun on top of that but those are not included in the cost. That’s for 6 qts Yamalube 4W, 2 filters, and grease for the bearings.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Oh and I bought a $1 paint mixing container to measure what I sucked out, which was right about 3 qts per engine.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In Southern California - it’s about 500$ give or take - for my 2016 242

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just got my 10 hour service in Michigan. It was ~$500. Seemed steep, but I didn’t want to do it myself.

FrankC2208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately thats not outside of what I’ve seen, where are you located?

I’m in Canada and want to say I was somewhere around 550. 3 hours labour and like 80 bucks in parts. Labour here is quite pricey, I don’t fault the dealer for that though, they are pretty much in line with other shops. I used to work in service for a manufacturer and labour costs here are very high in order to attract talent that would otherwise work in oil.
I’m located in New Jersey USA

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just as a business decision I think they should include the 10 service in price of boat. Think about it you could buy a boat on Friday for 30 to 80k and on Monday they want another hand full of money. Car dealers do the routine service for a yr. Or 2

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just as a business decision I think they should include the 10 service in price of boat. Think about it you could buy a boat on Friday for 30 to 80k and on Monday they want another hand full of money. Car dealers do the routine service for a yr. Or 2
You can negotiate it in. I imagine with the lack of volume in sales as compared to car dealers that boat dealerships aren't ready to just forgo that income willingly. That being said it's still apples and oranges comparison. Cars (in general) aren't a luxury and there is a giant supply of them creating a huge market for routine service so tons of businesses are competing.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's typical and you are being royally ripped off. Do it yourself. It's an oil change and greasing a few things.
Couldn’t agree more with @Ancient canoe, it's typical which is a total ripoff. My dealer charges $400/engine so twins are $800. I did it myself for under $125. It’s not important who does it, it’s important that it’s done and done right. Document it well if you do it yourself in case there’s ever any issues with warranty items. Make sure to inspect all inspection points.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can negotiate it in. I imagine with the lack of volume in sales as compared to car dealers that boat dealerships aren't ready to just forgo that income willingly. That being said it's still apples and oranges comparison. Cars (in general) aren't a luxury and there is a giant supply of them creating a huge market for routine service so tons of businesses are competing.
Yamaha should add it to the price and pay the dealer when its done. I bought used so it doesn't matter to me. Can't tell you how many posts like this one I've read. Dont think that realize how this is giving people a sour attitude just days after buying a boat.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not afraid to do it myself. I am concerned with it voiding the warranty(Manual says 10 hour service is to be done by a dealer.) The next required service isnt till 100 hours or something right?

Are there posting here which walk you though step by step what to do? Pics would be great! :)

I just think almost $700 is way too much, but if its something that should really be done at a dealership than its worth the alternative of having something catastrophic happen I guess!

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love the boat, but I am going to be more savvy next time around and make them include the 10 hour service for free when I buy it!