• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service on AR190

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any good comprehensive instructions to make the 10 hour service a DIY job? Perhaps in a service manual? Or perhaps someone has made a good write up with pics\partnumbers etc?

Love to tinker on my toys and happy to do this work, just want to be sure that I exceed any job that the dealer would have done.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So oil change, check plugs, and grease the intermediate bearing. Of course a nice once over checking for loose nuts and bolts is good sense as well.

So how do you know just how much to grease to shoot into the intermediate bearing.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They say per service manual it take a little over an ounce. That's a lot of grease (but then again I'm no mechanic). You can spend big money on a grease gun that has a gauge. Or what I did was just ballpark it. If you use a small 3oz tube, that's 1/3 of the tube for a visual reference.

Last edited:

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also if you trailer, make sure you grease the trailer wheels too under the caps

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know some of the models have a tube that holds more grease , my 2015 sx190 had the week fitting right on the housing and therefore takes less grease. I can't remember where I found out the amount, probably on here somewhere. I bought a grease gun and did the correct number if pumps

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bearing is sealed, the grease is really just an added layer of water intrusion protection and isn't super critical

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They say per service manual I take a little over an ounce. That's a lot of grease (but then again I'm no mechanic). You can spend big money on a grease gun that has a gauge. Or what did was just ballpark it. If you use a small 3oz tube, that's 1/3 of the tube for a visual reference.
I looked in the service manual for the 190 series and can't find this number.... any chance you can tell me where you see this in the manual?

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1.11-1.18oz actually in the owners manual (page 112) in the last page of the care and storage section. Funny, I couldn't find it in the service manual

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just note there after its only 0.20-0.27, I think after the 10 hr service your just topping off the bearing housing grease. I purchased a small grease gun and purchased the small 3oz quicksilver cartridges, I pumped the gun 35 times to achieve 1 oz but other guns might be different, just weight it out first like I did.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think it is a measure of volume not weight.... So I am not sure how you would have "weight it out first" unless you knew what a fluid oz of grease weighs.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the 2017 AR 190 have an hour meter ? What's the best way to tell when I've reached 10 hours if not?

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Ismael Breton on the speedo there are 2 buttons. Hold them down and watch the dial as it will bring it up along with other info. I think I held down for 3 seconds or so and the boat had to be running.Just toggle threw until you get to it.

D Sonkin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wanted to share the process I followed including weighing the grease at multiple stages to get the exact measurement of what I pumped into the bearing housing. Being an engineer I like checking myself through more than one method and that's what I did this time as well.

Phase 1 - Calibrating equipment
. I picked a plastic measuring cup from some old medicine I found in the house that had clear marking of 30 ml (1 oz). I measured empty cup on scales - 5 g. Then I filled up the cup from my grease gun up the mark and counted number of pumps it took. New weight - 32 g over 25 pumps.
Before pumping I weighed loaded grease gun - 1619 g. Weight after pumping out 30 ml - 1593 g.

Conclusions
1) cup gained 27 g of grease
2) gun shed 26 g of grease
3) ratio of grams to pumps is 1.08
4) experimental density of the grease turned out to be 0.9 g/ml. This checks with theoretical specific gravity of marine grease I found on the Internet as .895

Now I could calculate my target weight limits for filling the bearing housing
low limit 1.11 oz - 30 g
high limit 1.18 oz - 32 g

Phase 2 - Pumping grease
My first attempt at pumping grease was unsuccessful. I made bad connection with a grease nipple so ended up spilling the grease without getting any of it in. Still I was able to confirm that none of the grease actually made it in. Here is how. Gun starting weight - 1590 g, end weight - 1580 g essentially transferring 10 g over 10 pumps.
I wiped off all the spilled grease with a towel and measured the towel before and after. Dry towel weight - 22 g, after absorbing all the grease - 31 g thus accumulating 9 g of grease total

Learning from this lesson I made a good nipple connection and had 4 subsequent successful pumping sessions.
session #1 start weight - 1581 g, end weight - 1576 g, delta - 5 g, 5 pumps
session #2 start weight - 1576 g, end weight - 1565 g, delta - 11 g, 10 pumps
session #3 start weight - 1565 g, end weight - 1554 g, delta - 11 g, 10 pumps
session #4 start weight - 1554 g, end weight - 1549 g, delta - 5 g, 4 pumps

Conclusions
1) I put in exactly 32 g of grease, i.e., right at my upper bound
2) It took 29 pumps confirming my theory of relatively constant gram to pump ration of 1.10
3) I could have done everything by counting pumps alone but I would not be so sure of the final outcome

Any feedback is appreciated. I also used a very similar methodology for changing the oil without worrying about overfilling. Ping me if interested.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Too much grease in that pto can do more harm than good. I know in hind sight that I broke my seal by greasing it. It almost cost me the boat.pto failure was catastrophic and water poured in. It was a nightmare. Its worth the $150 my dealer charged to prevent that. And records to help with engine warranty.

D Sonkin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be willing to pay that much but my dealer is an hour drive from my house and wanted to charge me over $800 for 10 hr service so I figured if I do it exactly to the spec and document everything it should not be a problem. Time will tell.

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be willing to pay that much but my dealer is an hour drive from my house and wanted to charge me over $800 for 10 hr service so I figured if I do it exactly to the spec and document everything it should not be a problem. Time will tell.
$800?? What a rip off!! I paid around $250 for my 10hr service but I need to haul my boat for almost 2hr to my dealer.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nobody should be using the dealer for the 10 hour service IMO. It's such a blatant ripoff even if they charged you $100. It's an oil change and adding grease. I doubt most dealers even do a thorough fastener inspection or the rest of the 10 hour checklist. Most people I know who take their boat there actually get a dirtier boat back as most techs likely don't care abut your pride and joy as you do.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just check with another jet boat dealer 50 min away, will cost me CAD 155 plus tax, that would be about USD 120, but sure the money may not reflect the qualities specially have to leave your boat for few days outside uncover, or they just walk in and out with dirty shoes.......

Last edited: