• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hour service quandary

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m struggling, with this stupid midwestern weather to get my 10 hours in before my first service. Quandary is that I will have 3-5 hours on the boat before my scheduled service. However the next week we are headed to the gulf for a week. Do I get the service done with 3-5 hours. Or wait until after the trip and head in with 15-20 hours on the boat?

Yamaha 2019 FSH 210 Sport

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would do it now but either way you're probably ok,

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I picked up our boat the Friday before Labor Day, the Dealer said, they'd do the 10 Hour Service at the end of the Season. I asked about exceeding 10 hours, they told me it wasn't a big deal to limit it to 10 hours, but try to bring it back before you exceed 20-25 hours. I think we only got 15-16 Hours on that first year. So I'd probably just wait until after the trip.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
you're fine to go over the 10 hour mark, just try to keep it under 30.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m struggling, with this stupid midwestern weather to get my 10 hours in before my first service. Quandary is that I will have 3-5 hours on the boat before my scheduled service. However the next week we are headed to the gulf for a week. Do I get the service done with 3-5 hours. Or wait until after the trip and head in with 15-20 hours on the boat?

Yamaha 2019 FSH 210 Sport
At 5-6 hours you should be done with the break-in. If I had the opportunity I would do the service then. Followed by another oil change after the trip. But that's just me.
If it is at 2-3 hours, I would wait.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer told me to bring it in for a service at 20 hours. I don't think it is a big deal as long as it is reasonable.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Go on your trip and then get it done. No need to parse over a couple hours here or there.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do it yourself. It's basically an oi/filter change and a couple of squirts of grease in the intermediate bearings. So long as you have copies of your receipts and keep a log of it, you're covered from a warranty perspective. I've done that with both my 09 and 17 Yamahas. My other thing is unless there's a show-stopped issue that happens during the season, I typically live with that issue and then drop the boat off at the end of the season for service. That way I don't loose any weekends to the boat being out of service. Is it a pain to live with a leaky ballast bag, yes, but it's better than boating for a month while they sort it out with Yamaha.

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve got 1 year service included with my purchase. So, I’m definitely letting them tale care of it.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Enjoy your trip! Have your "10 hour service" done AFTER you return.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
YES is typically Yamaha Extended Service...aka extended warranty. Verify before you take it in that this is covered by them...otherwise you may be in for a $300 surprise.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Busy dealer and had to wait to get in. I had my 10 hour service at 21 hours. I was not going to blow a couple weekends not using it! Dealer did not even bat an eye.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer told me to wait until “after 10 hours”. Take that for what it’s worth.

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do y'all know if you can do the 10 hour service with boat sitting in the water? I'll be taking it out of dry storage soon and then it will sit at my dock. Hoping to not have to pull it out of the water to do this. 210 FSH Sport

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, you can do this on the water. The motors should be perfectly level.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just be sure to use a plastic container like a Tupperware or something under the oil filter. I also lay a ton of those puppy pads under the engine to catch any spilled oil. On the water will make it a little harder to not drip any oil from the filter due to the boat moving but shouldn’t be an issue. Just try not to make a mess lol.

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just be sure to use a plastic container like a Tupperware or something under the oil filter. I also lay a ton of those puppy pads under the engine to catch any spilled oil. On the water will make it a little harder to not drip any oil from the filter due to the boat moving but shouldn’t be an issue. Just try not to make a mess lol.
I like the puppy pad idea! Fortunately I'm on a quiet slough without much traffic so motion shouldn't be a big issue. Thank you!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As an alternative to a Tupperware container, (which is a good idea) I suggest a disposable aluminum tray from the dollar store or super market. That has worked well for me too. The pads are excellent as a second layer of protection under that container.

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As an alternative to a Tupperware container, (which is a good idea) I suggest a disposable aluminum tray from the dollar store or super market. That has worked well for me too. The pads are excellent as a second layer of protection under that container.
Good call!