• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hour Service

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello! I'm up to 8.5 hours on the twins. I have the boat dry docked. What's the best way to complete the 10 hour service?

Thanks, Mike

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oil extractor, doggie training pads to soak up spilled oil after you change the filter... ( they are awesome) ... add new oil... (don't overfill) ...change the plugs... add some grease to the intermediate housing...

ok... i'm feeling confident today... I did all those things all by myself and have never done them before... admittedly, I had a tech do it for my while I watched at the 10 hr. mark... its easy...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did mine. Easy peasy. No plugs till I get home from vacation though.

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The dealer is quoting 560.00. Can you go over 10 hours before you perform the service or will that void the warranty?

The Budnick's

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't know about changing the plugs at 10 hrs.... Is that just a suggestion or is there a reason for it?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is the dealer changing the plugs in their quote? Plug change is not required for the 10 hr service. I had the dealer do the initial 10 hr service and I haven't been back since. Not that there is anything wrong with the dealer, they are quite good actually, it's just such a huge markup that once you spend money on the right tools, there is no reason to go back to them.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went over 10 hrs, was more like 15 since that was the end of the season after I bought the boat. Close enough if you ask me. I can't imagine you would have any warranty issues, the 10 hrs is a recommendation from Yamaha on the service plan for the engine (just like your car/truck has). Plus it's just good to get that initial/factory oil out after getting the engine broken in a bit and get some fresh oil for the next 50-100 hrs.

Save yourself a bunch of money and do it yourself, really easy stuff unless you stay far away from working on your vehicles. That's downright silly what they want to charge you, but a pretty typical price for doing both engines at a Yamaha dealer.

As for plugs, I would pull them all and inspect them all at 10 hrs. If they look bad, replace them, if not keep running them.

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just did mine this past Thursday. Easy if you have an oil extractor with the long thin tube to fit down the dipstick tube. get a nice quality one and you just have to give it a few pumps and it will suck it all out.
Hardest part for me was the dang oil filter. I still cannot see why builders torque on the dang filters so tight, when their recomendation is usually 1/2 turn past the gasket touching or so. Nothing makes me so mad that having to get big channel locks out to get the filter off.
i would suggest getting the oil filter wrench/cup thing that fits from wherever you pick up your filters from. I got them from a local yamaha motorcycle/jet skii dealer in town, but i didnt get the wrench cup.. cause i have a drawer full of them, but none of mine fit .. of course. SO next filter purchase, i will be picking that up as well. just makes it a little easier. but hostly, channel locks on these the way they are oriented is perfect. Just for pulling off the old, not for cranking on the new... hand tight putting the new one on... give it a check when your running it out on the water when its warm, and make sure its nice and tight still.

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I did mine Sunday at dry dock. Should have just gone out as it was flat all day and hot! Ditto on the oil filter! I am going to have the 50 hour done, I just don't have the time to waste.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I considered taking my boat in for maintenance but just can't bring myself to do it. Oil and filter replacement can take anywhere from an hour or two at most for both engines. My local dealer charges $800 for the job including $100 in materials. Therefore the labor is $300 to $350 an hour. I dont make that much per hour so I cant justify paying someone else to do it for that much, especially since I can do it myself. After accounting for the time it takes to haul the boat into and back from the dealer I am much better off financially and from a time perspective doing the job myself. The same is true of spark plug changes.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer is quoting 560.00. Can you go over 10 hours before you perform the service or will that void the warranty?
Holy hell, that is crazy expensive. Our dealer charged us right around 220 for our 10 hour service.

That is likely the only service I will have them do, in my opinion it is good to have the 10 hour service documented to avoid any potential warranty head aches down the road.

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Holy hell, that is crazy expensive. Our dealer charged us right around 220 for our 10 hour service.

That is likely the only service I will have them do, in my opinion it is good to have the 10 hour service documented to avoid any potential warranty head aches down the road.
My dealer wanted over $600. My sales guy just recommended keeping receipts and documenting what I did and how many hours were on each motor, if I was going to do it myself. This way if there ever was an issue I would be covered. Took me about an hour and cost me $100 to do it myself. The hardest part was keeping a rag tight to the motor while removing the oil filter in order to keep my shiny motor well clean. Could really use 3 hands, just saying.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in your shoes (new Yamaha owner) 12 seasons ago....

One of the easiest things to do for this boat to keep it running well is to change the oil. Just pay attention to how much comes out and how much goes in. Don't overfill.

For you guys at or near the 10 hour mark, sooner is better. Most wear occurs during break-in when the engines are new. Get that break-in oil out of there and replace it with clean oil and you'll be way ahead of the curve.

:cool:

Corbitt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Along the same lines- Can you guys confirm this is the correct kit (x2) for a 242 Limited S 2014 with the two 1.8 L engines?
Yamaha LUB-WTRCG-KT
Watercraft II Oil Change 1Kt/4Ct

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone? I am looking for filter number and oil weight mostly

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oil filter.. 69J-13440-03-00
http://rivaracing.com/c-1066707-engine-oil-filters.html
Look for the 1.8 motor
I picked mine up at the local yamaha dealer in town for 23 bucks.

Oil 10w-40 ... or yamalube 4w.
Your choice/decision on the type. Some like Amsoil, or Royal Purple, or Lucas, some like yamalube... Thats as much a discussion as what spark plugs and seadek vs. hydroturf...
I am sure everyone has an opinion and a reason in their mind, just like buttholes... everyone has one :) .....
But I think above all, a high quality oil, is important. Not carquest/advance auto parts store brand.
Royal Purple is on amazon and thee have a "marine" rating on their HPM oil. I am not sure if Amsoil has a "marine" brand or not.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a small grease gun and a flexy pipe from an auto store. I used the quicksilver 3oz cartridges and for the 10 hour service pumped 35 times, roughly a third of the tube.