• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hr maintenance - 1.75 Gallons oil removed!!!

CharlieEcho

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hey everybody,

I hate to be posting this, but I got a new 190 FSH Deluxe from my Nashville dealer less than a month ago and it is time for my 10 hr maintenance. The dealer knows I'm pretty handy and sold me the oil change kit no fuss, and said it wouldn't affect my 2 year YES warranty, go to the website, enter the receipt, yada-yada.

After work I get the oil pumping out into an oil drain pan. Pump starts pulling air so I check the dip stick and it is dry, so I start to put in the 1 Gallon oil jug they sold me. I'm checking the dip stick as I go and it turns out I got lucky and it was reading just at the full marker using the whole gallon.

Here's where things get weird... I go to move the old oil back into the jug I just emptied only to find out it filled it up, with almost 3 quarts left in the drain pan! SO, completely puzzled, I check the stick again, yep reading full. I hook up water and run it for about a minute, let it sit for 5, and check again and its FULL. Where the hell did this extra oil come from??

Next day: Wake up check it again, full - OK, I'm not crazy. Jug is for one gallon, its full and I still got 3 quarts left over. Call the dealer, owner takes my call and is at a loss for words and refers me to the "lead" service guy. He calls me and has me confirm the same thing I told the owner - he thinks I'm full of it lol. I think I finally convinced him I'm not, and he sits on the phone with me for about 10 minutes (researching from what I can tell) and finally says, "If it was gonna hurt anything, it would have already happened so you got nothing to worry about. I'm just surprised it left the factory that way." I wanted to yell that I was surprised it left their yard that way, but I didn't check so I can only yell at myself.

So, here's the deal, I though these things had to go through an inspection at the dealership, too. Yes, shame on me for not checking the oil, but they had it in the water so it didn't even cross my mind.

Sorry for the long post, I was hoping for some insight. Maybe I'm not the only one? Should I be worried? (Because obviously I am) What should I do? We were supposed to go out this weekend, but now I'm very reluctant. Thanks guys!

Update: Gas in the oil has been confirmed - opening new oil and sniffing vs old oil made it very obvious in comparison. Thoughts?

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you do any wide open throttle during your break in? You should have done some short runs at wide open. Or just idle around and low speed? Does the oil that you removed smell like fuel. Make sure if you’re doing a lot of idling to occasionally run it hard. If the rings don’t seat you could be getting fuel past the rings and into the oil.

Or the dealer just put too much in.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, and check your air filter for oil fouling.

CharlieEcho

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I'll pull the filter and check. I don't recall doing too much idling. Is that seriously a concern with this motor?

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other