• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

+12V source when engine(s) running?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm looking for a +12v wire that's only hot when an engine (or both) is running. Does that exist on our boats? Or does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish it? I can dig through the service manual, but I figured I'd ask first. I'm planning to replace the blower with a couple of electric fans and I'd like one to run if the engines are running, and I'll put the second one on a switch. Thanks in advance.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm. I don't have a dvsr in my 2013, so I'm not sure I'll have that, but I'll certainly look.
EDIT: ***This might be the ticket also from that link "On the previous models, it was a specific wire for power to port or starboard YDIS that could be found behind the circular port in the engine bay, but mine has no such port, so I'm assuming the wires may be different as well."***
I'll bet I have one of the two. Thanks!

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm. I don't have a dvsr in my 2013, so I'm not sure I'll have that, but I'll certainly look.
EDIT: ***This might be the ticket also from that link "On the previous models, it was a specific wire for power to port or starboard YDIS that could be found behind the circular port in the engine bay, but mine has no such port, so I'm assuming the wires may be different as well."***
I'll bet I have one of the two. Thanks!
Sorry, the thread I linked is about the DVSR which is confusing! but there should be a wire (purple?) inside the engine compartment, on each side - looking like that
upload_2018-6-28_0-25-54.png
--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My boat doesn't have that. While there may be a wire - you could grab a wire at the tach, and use something like the PAC TR-7. You can program it to sense minimal voltage from the tach and put a delay on it if you please, and then it will output a constant 12v signal.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excuse me for asking, but why would you replace the blower with fans?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep, what @0627Devildog said. Short story is trying to increase airflow. Side benefit should be more air for the same or less noise. It may or may not help the starting issue described in the link above. We'll see.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excuse me for asking, but why would you replace the blower with fans?
OEM blowers make a lot of noise while moving little air...

@gmtech16450yz did a very cool blower mod, but it's a bit too advanced - for me, lol.

--

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Found the purple wire. It was as described @swatski... Thank you. Easy access through the starboard rear speaker.
20180629_201825.jpg 20180629_201809.jpg

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
WARNING - replacing the blower with a non-insulated fan is dangerous as it could ignite any gas fumes in the engine compartment - BOOM!

Blowers are specifically designed and electrically insulated to prevent sparks that could cause a fire or explosion. Make sure you use a properly insulated fan motor in your boat.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used spal fans. Sealed, electrically insulated, and ip68 rated.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok good...thought maybe since you hadn't posted back that maybe it went BOOM.
:)
Did it help with the heating and restarting issue?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ha. No BOOM yet. ;)
As for the restarting issue, I haven't experienced it again, at all. We've had at least 4 full days of surfing since I installed the fans, under the same conditions that I experienced the problem in before. It's hard for me to definitively say the issue was heat related, and that the fans resolved it. BUT... it hasn't happened since. With no temp gauge, I don't have any hard data. I also wasn't running the factory blowers while surfing before, and I am running the new fans while we surf now. So it's possible it did resolve it, but running the factory blowers may have resolved it also. Either way, I can say that airflow through the engine compartment is SUBSTANTIALLY increased, and air temp inside the engine compartment is noticeably lower. Also, the engines seemed to gradually develop a rich condition after surfing for a while, sometimes to the point of smelling fuel in the exhaust. This seems to have disappeared as well, presumably due to better airflow.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You know, I've never turned my blower off when under power. I turn it on, wait a few minutes, fire it up and go. I've never bothered to turn it off when cruising because sometimes we'll see something interesting and I slow down and forget to turn the blower on at slow speeds. After I did that a few times I decided to just leave it running if the engine is running. I figure a new blower is $30 while a fire would cost a lot more. LOL I've been doing it this way for 20 years and only had to replace a blower once. I figure it's peace of mind...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ha. No BOOM yet. ;)
As for the restarting issue, I haven't experienced it again, at all. We've had at least 4 full days of surfing since I installed the fans, under the same conditions that I experienced the problem in before. It's hard for me to definitively say the issue was heat related, and that the fans resolved it. BUT... it hasn't happened since. With no temp gauge, I don't have any hard data. I also wasn't running the factory blowers while surfing before, and I am running the new fans while we surf now. So it's possible it did resolve it, but running the factory blowers may have resolved it also. Either way, I can say that airflow through the engine compartment is SUBSTANTIALLY increased, and air temp inside the engine compartment is noticeably lower. Also, the engines seemed to gradually develop a rich condition after surfing for a while, sometimes to the point of smelling fuel in the exhaust. This seems to have disappeared as well, presumably due to better airflow.
I'm starting to lean towards the blower/quasi-vapor lock(?) hypothesis more and more. I have been turning the blower on at every break when surfing (albeit I try not to turn the engines off if I can keep them at least idling - for better cooling) - and no issues. One exception, when I spaced out and did not have the blowers going - hard start again. This is not any proof but to me indicates strongly that a better air flow between hard runs may be just what the doctor ordered...

Now - the question is: how to do this in a new 240? I may need to look for replacement blowers that are more efficient and quiet as there is not room for bigger cut outs, the air path is pretty tortuous.

--