• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'16 chaparral vrx side radio unit

Jjk0211

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi I just launched the boat today and after trying to dock the boat I realized the radio unit, on the port side, would not turn off. I tried turning the boat off and it is still lit.

Does anyone know if it's not supposed to turn off?
Or would I be better off unplugging the battery?

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2017 does not have a separate unit - only the medallion and the swim deck remote. However, I have found it good practice to switch the batteries off when I leave the boat in case I forgot something somewhere. Your battery switch should be under port side swim deck seat. Hope this helps.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
On mine, I push and hold the power button for about 2 seconds and it should turn off. If not, and unless you switch off the battery switch in the back, it will probably stay on until the battery is drained.

Jjk0211

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks, the screen was stuck and after pressing the power button for five seconds I had no response. Turning the battery's switch did work, but I think I need to have the radio looked at.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It sounds like it's wired wrong to me. A radio should have two 12 volt inputs. One that applies power with the key on, and one that stays on continuously. Sounds like the "switchable" 12v source is erroneously a continuous power source.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you have the Polk head unit like mine P4A4 or something like that it only has one 12v power. The station memory is non volitle so it does not need continuous power. Otherwise every time you switched the battery off you would lose station memory. Now when I turn mine off the buttons still remain lit slightly but the radio is off. I would also check the settings on the head unit. If you just press menu you get sound options but if you hold menu for a few seconds you get into the other menu. There you can change lcd back light brightness and contrast as well as button brightness. Another useful setting that is off by default is the battery alert and auto shutoff. If will beep when battery is below a certain voltage and also shut off. A quick search for polk marine will lead you to their home page. In the head unit section they have a download for a nice manual. Wish they would have included that with our boats.