• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

160 hp mr-1 engine swap (with jet ski engine)

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately have a seized engine. Lined up an 06 fxho with low hours that runs well. Anyone perform this swap? I have an 06 ar230. Looking for any tips and advice on process.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi

One word of advice is take pictures, label connections, keep bolts in zip locks. Careful to keep shims under engine mounts in right place.

Easier if you take exhaust manifold off cylinder head.

You should address intermediate bearing since your there.

Have service manual if you dont.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I swapped an engine from a 02 FX140 into a 06 SX230, the only major difference was that the wiring harness going to the throttle body/air cleaner assy. I believe the skis have some sort of rollover switch that the boats don’t have. I just swapped the whole assembly from the boat to the new engine.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the bad engine port or starboard. I didn’t need to remove the exhaust manifold with the starboard in my case.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any threads on it?
I thought that I did a write up on my engine swap. I’ll look for it. In the meantime here’s a step by step engine removal guide for a non ho engine. YOurs would be similar. Hope it helps.

Attachments

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought that I did a write up on my engine swap. I’ll look for it. In the meantime here’s a step by step engine removal guide for a non ho engine. YOurs would be similar. Hope it helps.
Awesome, that write up is great. Any other threads would be super helpful as well. Much appreciated.

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the bad engine port or starboard. I didn’t need to remove the exhaust manifold with the starboard in my case.
Bad engine is starboard. How did you get by not removing the manifold, wouldn't it be easier to pull it out then swap everything being that I am installing with a new motor?

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped an engine from a 02 FX140 into a 06 SX230, the only major difference was that the wiring harness going to the throttle body/air cleaner assy. I believe the skis have some sort of rollover switch that the boats don’t have. I just swapped the whole assembly from the boat to the new engine.
ok awesome, going to take pictures of the new and old engine side by side so i can understand what is different if anything at all.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@okula225 I found it easier to pull out with exhausts still connected. I did not remove the ECM, though.

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@okula225 I found it easier to pull out with exhausts still connected. I did not remove the ECM, though.
So you disconnected the whole wire harness before pulling the motor out then installed the new engine without the wire hanress and plugged it all in when the motor was in place?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I remember the service manual being very good at the step by step instructions for pulling. I left the exhaust attached and laid the ecm on top. It was not a difficult adventure.
IMG_0901rev1.jpgIMG_0915rev1.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you disconnected the whole wire harness before pulling the motor out then installed the new engine without the wire harress and plugged it all in when the motor was in place?
@okula225 The engine weighs near 200 lbs. You need to have a crane set up. I needed to fabricate an aluminum gantry crane to do it. I suggest studying service manual before attempting to remove motor. It is easier if you do not have to contend with the weather. It is quite easy to run into unseen problems, like dropping or losing a bolt, etc. I say this not to discourage but help prepare. Starboard engine removal

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#WREKS I like the set up.
Do you have hoist system in work shop.

Always wanted one in my garage when I had skis.
Won't do me any good with boat as it has less lift clearance.

This is what I had to do to get engine in.
Once I had engine broken down I was able to lift it out and on to deck.

To get engine out of ski use an engine hoist. Works great.
Find them used on CL

Attachments

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@okula225 The engine weighs near 200 lbs. You need to have a crane set up. I needed to fabricate an aluminum gantry crane to do it. I suggest studying service manual before attempting to remove motor. It is easier if you do not have to contend with the weather. It is quite easy to run into unseen problems, like dropping or losing a bolt, etc. I say this not to discourage but help prepare. Starboard engine removal
Do you have a pdf of the service manual?